Author Topic: New FSS 44-40  (Read 4260 times)

Offline Dirty

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New FSS 44-40
« on: June 30, 2011, 09:40:57 PM »
Just received my new frontier six shooter. 7-1/2" barrel, blued and case colored. Boy was that a real hard one to scare up these days.

Need to slug bore and throats in cylinder. Does not have a colored hammer, so need to do that. I like eagle grips, but these are so fat at the top that they need to be thinned and re-fit. I might do some real ivory on this, as that might be cool and look good. Cost will be a fourth of the revolver, but what the heck?

Overall pretty impressed with it, though it needs some action work. Too bad they aren't as smooth as they should be for the cost. ( maybe I should have bought a Uberti or ruger or something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Something else, sure wish they would put the colt in the circle on the damn things. :'(

This thing is new in the box, but won't be for long. My stuff gets used, no matter how much it costs. can't stand just looking at things. Got to get my hands on them and use them. Kind of like women. Treat them right, but have to get a feel for them! In my case, just one woman, but you get my point.

Anyway, just another mare in the stable.

Mark

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: New FSS 44-40
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:02:39 PM »
...Something else, sure wish they would put the colt in the circle on the damn things...

Colt didn't use that for the time period represented.

Offline Dirty

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 08:57:30 AM »
Yea, did a little more research on the colt in the circle. It is correct for that revolver not to have it, so everything including the grips is pretty correct, except the grips aren't fit that nice. Way too fat at the top, but nothing too much to worry about.

Still thinking of Ivory???????????????????????????

Shot a few rounds of .427 cast ( loaded for an original 1873 Win. ) through it and shot to point of aim at about 10 yards or so. Still have to slug everything and work up a load.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:48:37 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 09:04:16 AM »
Gutta Percha grips - the ones these are modeled after - were slightly oversized to fit different frames - that's why they have that border.

They were never the close-fit of one-piece Walnut or Ivory.

If you decide on real Ivory - contact Jim Alaimo at Nutmeg Sports - he's fitted them for the Colt Custom Shop.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline River Jordan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 10:42:38 AM »
Yea, did a little more research on the colt in the circle. It is correct for that revolver not to have it, so everything including the grips is pretty correct, except the grips aren't fit that nice. Way too fat at the top, but nothing too much to worry about.

Yes it is ironic that those Eagle grips that Colt has been using for all third gen guns is now correct. In fact they were introduced in 1882 and I bet that more FSS were sold with the Eagle hard rubber grips than with one piece walnut

I agree with you about the width. I 'd like to have some thinner ones also. If you shoot your FSS with period correct full BP loads you will appreciate the grips as it is a handful.

Offline River Jordan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 08:00:03 PM »
Another thing i have done is to remove the shiny new look on the Colt plastic grips.
I have used 000 steel wool to buff the grips and this makes them look more like the old hard rubber grips.

the new grips have a diamond pattern with sharp points and the steel wool will remove or dehorn the sharpness.
I actually take the points all the way down so they look feel more like the old ones.
You really only notice this when compared to the new ones but it gives the revolver a broken in look. 

I will try to post a photo soon.

You may not want to do this right away but eventually your new to you gun will get more experienced and forgiving. :)

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 12:51:16 PM »
On a gun that nice, I would second the recommendation real elephant ivory by Jim Alaimo at Nutmeg Sports. His work is first rate. One of my USFA Turnbull Cowboy Classics has one piece ivories done by Jim. He also can do action work while the gun is there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com