Author Topic: Wrong cylinders in two Uberti's  (Read 5765 times)

Offline Bangor Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wrong cylinders in two Uberti's
« on: June 29, 2011, 08:52:36 PM »
Probably just venting, but in the past 3-4 months I've purchased two different NIB Uberti's that were fitted with the wrong cylinders.

The first was a Cimarron Mod P that was a 32 wcf fitted with a 38 special cylinder, in fact the serial numbers on the cylinder didn't match the guns' serial number. My dealer sent it back to Cimarron and they installed a correct cylinder. Relatively painless.

The most recent is a Stoeger imported Schofield in 44-40 that was fitted with a 45 colt cylinder, and again the numbers on the cylinder didn't match the gun. Contacted the Gunbroker seller who told me it was Stoeger's problem (in a polite way).
Contacted the dealer I had used to transfer the gun, and was told he could send it to Stoeger for warranty work, but it would cost me $50-60, and he really didn't want to mess with it.
Then contacted my Cimarron dealer who will be mailing it to Stoeger for a lot less $, but still money I hadn't planned on spending.

Stoeger told me they would cover the warranty work and return it at no additional cost to me.

I discovered both problems quickly because I reload by ammunition for NCOWS shoots, and was testing the "fit"
Just wondering if anyone else has had this type of problem with Uberti pistols?

Bangor Dan

Offline Jamie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Wrong cylinders in two Uberti's
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 06:50:52 PM »
It's hard to imagine that happening!  Good grief, did they not test fire the gun?  Either situation would at least lead to split cases and horrible accuracy.  I can see them ignoring the accuracy, as they probably don't test for that in the first place, but the cases had to show, unless they were test firing two different guns of the same model and switched them up somehow.  Again, it's hard to imagine.  Considering the liability risks, everyone involved ought to pull out all the stops for you in thanksgiving, and not just make it right, but make it EXTREMELY right.  How in the world could anyone be unlucky enough to encounter two - and at essentially the same time!
Jamie

Offline Bangor Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 02:49:17 PM »
Your question about the manufacturer test firing either one of them in the configuration I found them in is one I've also been pondering. Not sure how or if they actually test fire these guns, but once I fire a new six shooter with smokeless powder I find it real difficult to clean the area inside the frame near the barrel.
How do they clean after test firing?

Bangor Dan

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:16:41 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 03:17:49 PM »
I bought a Ruger OMV convertible in 45/45ACP and one of the cylinders was 45LC the other supposed be 45ACP was in fact 44 Mag.
The dealer claimed, the mistake was the factory's...Ruger said it was shipped correctly and must have been swapped out after it left the factory.
They offered to replace the 44 Mag with a 45 ACP at what was a fair price, I opped to trade the gun back in.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Bangor Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Wrong cylinders in two Uberti's...UPDATE
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 08:13:19 PM »
Thought I'd better give Stoeger credit when it's due.

They sent (via my dealer) a brand new 44-40 Schofield as a replacement, and it took less than two weeks. It actually has nicer looking wood grip panels than the one I had to send back. So outside of having to spend an additional ~$35 I'm a happy camper' Still don't see how Uberti could have test fired either of the two I had problems with.

Bangor Dan

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 02:10:06 PM »
As for test firing, I thought every gun had to be proofed. Kind of hard to do that with the wrong cylinder.

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 12:09:22 PM »
As far as proofing goes, perhaps the cylinder and frame/barrel assembly are proofed separately then re-mated after proofing. At any rate, two other folks also got revolvers with the wrong cylinders...
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 02:05:18 PM »
Last time I saw something like that was in '72 when I worked at a sporting goods store in pekin, Ill.  We got in a dozen five shot Rossi .38 revolvers, three in .32 and the other nine in .38 Special. 

One of the .32s had a .38 Special cylinder, and a .38 had a cylinder with four .38 Special chambers and a .32. Looked like a pilot hole and someone didn't follow up after lunch.

All twelve went back to the distributor and we didn't sell Rossi products after that.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com