Author Topic: colt repos  (Read 13580 times)

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: colt repos
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 02:39:02 AM »
Would that be closer to a 1st or 2nd gen Colt,,or a third gen Colt ?.............as the third gen Colts are different from older real Colts of the period.

Offline petrinal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: colt repos
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 10:15:56 AM »
All Colt parts wont fit in other Colts revolvers. They are individually mated together for that specific revolver. So parts from a Uberti not fitting a Colt,,really don't tell us much.

my experience is totally different.  Parts intherchanging was invented long ago, among others by COLT, and they have followed that philosphy quite strictly.

it is true that some parts might not be compatible from one COLT to the other...but they are in mine, at least, the most important parts.

i have 2 colts, one is factory engraved, nickel, in 45 colt, made in 1978...the other one is a black powder frame, in 44-40, made last year, in 2010.. and it has not been fired.

lets intherchange parts between both...(but the cylinder, as it is a different caliber):

the grips of the old one fitted the contour of the 2010 model almost perfectly..it fitted firmly and the differences in curve were...minimal!

(note that grips are sligthy in older condition, they are 1978 revolver on 2010 revolver..never fired)

and viceversa...the same!

they all have the serial number of the gun inscribed inside...but given that the rubber grips shows no sign of sanding or filing, one tends to think  that COLT adapts the gun to the grip...and not viceversa!.....(little details that show why they cost more...)

the only adaptation in the grip seems to be the placing of the pin hole...in all other things, grips interchange with really minimum differences...

when interchanging hammers, both guns worked perfectly with  the other gun´s hammer...perfectly in safe, loading and firing positions....like a swiss watch...

above 2010 revolver with 1978 hammer...

below, 1978 revovler with 2010 hammer

then i did the same but this time changing only the trigger, leaving the rest of respective parts in everyrevolver....

both guns worked perfectly in the 3 hammer positions...with each other´s trigger.......hard to believe that COLT has kept such a standard for so many years.....notice blued trigger on nickel revovler and nickel trigger on blued revolver...PERFECT!

then I decided to change only the bolt.....and leave the rest of parts original in every revolver...

the fit was perfect..

notice nickeled bolt  of 1978 (it is really nickeled too, like the whole gun) on blued revovler (2010 revolver)

and viceversa...

they both worked......like an OMEGA watch... in all 3 positions.....with a part made 30 years ago in one case, and with a part made 30 years later....with a perfect timing and lock, a very tight lock...really hard to believe..

the same goes for the trigger/bolt spring....

the housing of the extractor fitted perfectly on the 2010 revovler...and needed a sligthly filing to fully enter in the nickel one...

in short, a COLT is a COLT....the manufacturing methods have allways being exquisite, and when it comes to rifling and accuracy, they still hold and edge in that, though i admit there are very good replicas now in the market.

all the best

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com