Author Topic: RWS 1075 plus caps vs others  (Read 26266 times)

Offline ROAnutz

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
RWS 1075 plus caps vs others
« on: June 29, 2011, 03:27:40 PM »
I was testing various caps, fitting various nipples on my 5-1/2" Ruger ROA. I won't go into that as we all know that everyone has seen just about everything fit or not fit everything else.

Anyway. I was firing the caps without charges as part of my testing. After all, that's the best way to get them off.

I was really, really surprised at how much more powerful the RWS 1075 plus caps were than anything else. Anything else being CCI/Winchester and Remington.

I think the next thing I'll try is to see if all that extra KABOOM! makes a difference in performance. If I stack my favorite load of 45 gr of Triple 7, topped with a 210 BigLube bullet (the chambers were deepened by Clements) and blow it through my CED chronograph. I would expect to see a difference. Maybe not? Maybe all it takes is enough from the cap to ignite the main charge and set everything into motion.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: RWS 1075 plus caps vs others
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 06:00:07 PM »
The second test is function.  Do they fall off and jam up the works?  If not, it sounds like you've found a winner.  Please do graph and report.

Thanks,

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 09:42:38 PM »
I had a wonderful fellow hand me an olive jar full of caps that was going to be thrown away. They fit about half of my heard of pistols. Turns out that CCI#11s fit the other half. Fortunately, Rem#10s fit them ALL. They are quality caps without any misfires or lost priming compound.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:10:52 AM »

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 12:28:51 AM »
The true test will be under the load of that 45g charge. Will they stay on ? Or fall off ?

I like the Remingtons for my stable, they digest them just fine and are trouble free. ;)

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 04:33:29 AM »
Don't drop that olive jar whatever you do! lol
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline ROAnutz

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 08:33:42 AM »
I have 4 kinds of nipples that I have been testing. (Ok, no cracks about too much time on my hands or living in my moms basement) I found no nipples that fit CCI #10's well enough to guarantee reliable firing. They (the CCI's) were all too small. I fixed that by chucking a spare set of Treso's in my drill press and polished them down till they fit the CCI #10's.

I found that the Blomquist nipples were the best overall. They fit RWS's perfectly. They are also extremely hard. I accidentally tried to file it like I  did the Treso's. No comparison The Blomqusists were much harder. I doubt that matters at all so take it for what you will. I think the Treso's are more than adequately hard.

Unmodified Treso's liked Remington #11's. Unfortunately, Remington #11's are tough to find.

Uncle Mikes liked #11's as well. CCI...not so good.

In fact, as far as fit goes, Remington #11's fit close enough for most  all.

I used the following nipples.
1) Treso
2) Uncle Mikes stainless
3) Blomquist
4) Stock Ruger 

As far as staying on after the hammer falls. The RWS's do seem to blow themselves apart and off more than the less powerful caps. However, it didn't seem to matter as far as causing jamming up the works. It seemed that when the RWS's went off and vanished. They were just gone. They really didn't seem to disintegrate and jam up the works.

The CCI's parts of the cap would tend to stay on the nipple more often than not but it was never the whole cap. Parts of them were always gone. I never found the full cap still on the nipple and many much of the time, they too vanished.

Offline kurt250

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 07:17:11 PM »
ro, what is the number for rws no. 10 caps, 1075? also were do you get those rws caps. also were do you order those nipples? kurt250

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 09:34:55 PM »
RWS #10 caps are #55
RWS #11 caps are #1075
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 12:08:45 AM »
RWS #10 caps are #1055
RWS #11 caps are #1075

Hellgate,
I agree that 1075s are almost dimensionally the same as CCI and Rem #11s.  However I find the 1055s are smaller than any #10s I have ever used including the old Rem. #10s.

I built a '49 from a kit about 35 years ago and the only caps that would fit were RWS 1055s unless I pinched #10s.  I finally replaced the tubes and now they take #10s.  I still have some 1055s around somewhere but I haven't seen them in quite sometime, I want to measure them.  Would you happen to have any 1055s around you could measure?

Thanks,
Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
NRA, TSRA, MCA, MCAA, ANA, MOAA, ASME, SAME, BMES, STS

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 01:05:01 AM »
Mako,
I can't remember if I ever shot the RWS#10s in anything but possibly in my Walkers where the hammer fall is pretty stout and can seat and fire all in one smack on a snug cap. I just haven't done it in so long I can't be sure if my memory serves. Besides, popping caps scares the begeezez outa my dogs or I'd give it a whirl to see if they would work in the Walkers. My experience is similar to yours: I haven't found a gun they'll fit well either.

Geeze, justr reread your post. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have some. What dimensions do you want? I have a micrometer and a dial micrometer/caliper.

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Mako

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 02:31:17 PM »
Hellgate,
Thanks for the answer.

If you find the caps I would like these three measurements:

Just taking them with the caliper would be close enough.

Thanks my friend,
Mako

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 05:19:24 PM »
Mako,
First of all, a correction: The product number on the tin says No. 55 (NOT 1055 as I stated from memory). Sorry.

Dimensions:

Overall height:     0.200" (range of 5= 0.199 - 0.202")
Internal diameter: 0.158" wide
Internal height:    0.155" deep
External diameter: 0.175"
External diameter at mouth: 0.180 i.e. the mouth has a slight flare

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline kurt250

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 09:58:08 PM »
hellgate, were can i find 55 rows caps for sale?

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 12:57:49 AM »
Kurt,
I wish I could help you. I got mine about 6 or 8 years ago and can't remember if it was mail order or from some long gone out of business BP shop. I don't have any guns that they are a good fit for but i keep a tin just for the occasional situation where someone at a big shoot pulls out their new C&B and I check all the different caps I have as for fit to their gun so they can load up with the right size caps.

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Mako

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 04:00:43 PM »
Hellgate,

Thanks for the dimensions,  If you get a chance can you snap a good photo of that tin the caps came in?  Or is it plastic like the current production containers?  Make sure we can read all of the nomenclature on the package, not the itty-bitty text, just the main info like these 1075+ and 1081 Musket caps.

When was the last time you saw the plain 1075 caps?  Everyone I have spoken to says they can only get the 1075 plus, which makes me wonder if the originals are being imported.

~Mako

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 01:58:49 PM »
Mako,
I have sent  a photo to your listed email address in your profile. Have not heard back. Is there another email addy for you?

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline jefff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 04:10:40 PM »
i shoot rem 58s in 44,and i have less problems  with rws 1075s but i do have to pinch them before putting on the nipple. i have  some issues about the caps falling in my plam as i cock for the next round .but overall they seem the most relible to me.jeff

Offline Mako

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 11:12:16 PM »
Mako,
I have sent  a photo to your listed email address in your profile. Have not heard back. Is there another email addy for you?

Thanks buddy! I got it.

It has the same Troisdorf markings a lot of the older RWS caps had.  Troisdorf is simply the plant.   A lot of people called them "Dynamit Nobel Troisdorf" caps instead of RWS as we do now.  And as I suspected it is the old metal can.  How long have you had those?

Now I need to go through all of my storage boxes and find those old RWS 1055 caps.  I'm pretty sure they are exactly the same thing.  I need to email some of my European black powder friends and find what the 55, 75 and 81s actually signify

~Mako

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 04:46:30 PM »
I've had them at least ten years and possibly 20. Been so long I don't remember.

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Mako

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 12:58:18 AM »
I felt like the peddler trading "new caps for old"... Well not really, but I got a partial package of 79 RWS 1075 Plus caps today at the match.  I traded a new package of Rem. #10s for them.

I measured 20 and they had a bit more priming compound that the RWS 1075 caps.  I still don't know if it is dimensionally  significant or just the result of lots made years apart.  I'm adding them to my charts.

The good news is that right now I have 120 measured samples each of Remington #10 and #11s from multiple lots.  Not much change from measurements a couple of years ago.  I believe I can say what Remington caps have measured for the last three years with a high level of confidence.

~Mako

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com