Author Topic: Reloading  (Read 7654 times)

Offline rbgfishboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Reloading
« on: June 26, 2011, 03:39:52 PM »
This may be a question with a lot of answers, but I'd like to ask about reloading. Specifically, can any of you reccomend a reloader or kit that is simple to use, but not a budget buster. I used to reload shot shells some years back and enjoyed doing it and saving money at the same time. Now I'd like to give a try so I can shoot more often. I would appreciate any and all information. I will probably be reloading .38  special and .45 ACP. Thanks for any advice you folks can give!

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Reloading
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 04:48:21 PM »
Check around Garage ales and Pawn Shops for a used single stage press. Learn the basics then contact Dillon about a Progressive Press. You'll still use the Single Stage for small lots of odd stuff. I load .45 Colt on my Dillon and .38-55 on my old RCBS single stage press.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 06:36:40 PM »
The LEE Handpress.  can do anything a single stage press can do, but is compact AND PORTABLE!

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Breech-Lock-Hand-Press.html

I have the older version, and use it almost all the time.

Also;   Check their closeouts;

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Closeouts/
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:53:53 PM »

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 09:03:30 PM »
Lee Precision has good inexpensive items, but you can get them from MidwayUSA for less money.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 09:15:17 PM »
Lee Precision has good inexpensive items, but you can get them from MidwayUSA for less money.

Slim

I think Midsouth has good prices as well.  I got a Lyman mould from them at a very attractive price.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 06:44:19 AM »
A Dillon Square Deal is tough to beat.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 07:14:56 AM »
Good advice on Lee Precision's products. I load eight different calibers (including .38 special & .45 ACP) all on a Lee Classic Turret press and all with Lee dies.

Attached is a Photobucket link showing two set's of dies being used in one turret for the Bullet Seating & Crimping operations:
http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/Reloading/?action=view&current=38specialclip.mp4
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 08:26:30 PM »
My old Dillon 450 has been out of production for over 20 years. It is still covered by warranty. I've used it to reload for 6 different Law Enforcement Agencies, qualification. It was used by other very avid shooters for their reloading. When I was heavily into SASS shooting I loaded at least 1000 rounds a month on it. I have no idea as to how many 100s of thousands of rounds have been loaded on it. It looks old but still works like new.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 08:48:03 PM »
Howdy

I am going to give you the same advice I give to everyone who asks that question. First, before you even think of spending one red cent on equipment, buy a good manual, and read it. There are lots of good manuals on the market. Speer, Lee, Lyman, Hornady, to name a few. I taught myself to reload with the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook. Sit down and read the chapter describing the reloading process. You don't have to read all the data for all the cartridges, just read the chapter detailing the actual reloading process. Then read the chapter describing the different types of reloading equipment. Be sure you understand the differences between a single stage press, a turret press, and a progressive press before you make any decisions at all. Then make an informed guess about how much ammo you think you may need to load per month. All this will help you decide on the best type of equipment for you. Don't let anybody influence you who just shouts a brand name at you. Not everybody needs the same type of equipment. Choose what you think you will need.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 08:53:40 PM »
I use two presses. The first is a plain, simple single stage Lee press. This press I use for depriming with a universal depriming die and for sizing bullets with the Lee resizing kit. The other press is a Lee four hole rotary press. Once you get you dies in the four hole ring and adjusted, you never have to touch them again. You will need one ring and a set of dies for each caliber. I Use six. Also I use a Lee auto disc powder measure for all pistol calibers. I use a seperate auto disc for each caliber because you can't insert or remove the auto disc without removing the two dies on either side of it which defeats the purpose of using the rotary press, not having to re-set your dies everytime you begin reloading. I also use the micrometer adjustment instead of the little discs that they provide. It gives me infinite control of the powder load. For priming, I highly recommend the Lee hand primer. I like this method very much because I can deprime first and then tumble the brass. I can then sit and watch T.V. and prime 500 cases while watching "True Grit". This also allows the primerpockets to get tumble polished clean. this eliminate most, but not all of the primer pocket cleaning to be done just before priming the cases. There are also about a gazillion things that you don't think about at first, primer pocket cleaners, powder scales, powder measures if you reload rifle calibers. The auto disc wont deliver enough powder to load the larger rifle calibers. You will also need a tumbler, especially if you shoot BP, a case lube and neck lube set up if you reload bottleneck cartridges, loading blocks (yes, they are a necessity), and there are a number of other "optional" things. I try to use carbide dies as much as possible and I have just about all of the optional toys that I really, really need when I need them but I only rarely need them, such as bullet pullers. All in all reloading for six calibers I have about $400 dollars invested in reloading tools and probably that much again in powders, primers and bullets.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 09:03:04 PM »
I agree with DJ get yerself this manual first:

Modern Reloading by Dr Richard Lee.

It tells you how to load with words and pix and also explains WHY you are doing what you are doing. and it can serve as yer first loading manual.

You can get everything you need to load for under $200 including your first bullets, brass and primers and powder. I suggest to start with a Lee loader....hand press ,  single stage or a turret, and get good carbide dies.
drop me an email and I can give you a list of needed items and where to get them.

good shootin
curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 09:02:12 PM »
Since nobody has asked the most common question, "How much can I save by reloading?" I'll answer it for you. Just go here:

http://www.10xshooters.com/calculators/Handgun_Reloading_Cost_Calculator.htm

By the way it will work for rifle amo too if you remember to figure the cost of commercial amo at 50 rounds to the box, or 2 1/2 times the cost of a box of 20.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 01:37:20 PM »
IMHO the best low cost starter set up is the Lee Classic Turret Kit, can be used as a single stage or turret, plus the kit comes with one set of pistol caliber dies. The heads are very inexpensive making caliber change a snap. The Lee web site has a video of each step to help get things set up right.  Kempf's Gun Shop, Cabela's. Midway,  has everything thing you need to get started, press, dies, Hornady One Shot case lube, tumbler kit, scales, reloading manuals, funnel, etc....If you do decide to go with the Lee make sure to include the "upgrade", well worth it for the Pro Auto powder measure. You're gonna save a ton of money reloading yer own. Give Kempf a call, they can walk you through it. Good Luck :)
Lee Classic Turret Kit
Modern Reloading
Extra Turret
Tumbler Combo
Hornady One Shot
Scales, Funnel, Double Disk..etc
Lyman 49th

Jefro ;D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline rbgfishboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 04:50:26 PM »
Jefro - That's great info. I'll check it out!

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 10:51:44 PM »
Yeah! What Jefro said.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com