Author Topic: Russians....'finger guard' and lanyards?  (Read 3135 times)

Offline TennHillyBill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Russians....'finger guard' and lanyards?
« on: June 16, 2011, 07:41:51 PM »
I was watching a guy on YouTube...I think.....describing the trigger guard 'extension', apparently suggesting it was something other than a finger rest.  I guess the question is:  was it actually intended to deflect a saber/sword blow?  I find using the 'guard' for my middle finger makes the gun balance better, but that's my thought.  And, what sort of lanyard would they have used, worn about the neck, through an epaulet?  Haven't found any good photos of Russian troops.  How would that have differed for U.S. users?

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Russians....'finger guard' and lanyards?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 11:32:50 PM »
This came up over a year ago - you'll find it in this forum's 'back pages'.

Look for:

Russian triggerguard spur « on: March 11, 2010, 06:19:21 am »

As to American lanyard use - you'll find them on the 1892-series of Colt .38 DAs and on the M1909.

You'll also see them used after the adoption of the M1911 - primarily to keep magazines from becoming lost by Cavalry troopers during a mounted engagement - usually issued one per magazine, and one per weapon.

Infantry (and everyone else) used the lanyard on the weapon during the Great War - by that time, the lanyard loop magazines were no longer in general issue.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 08:31:27 AM »
Howdy

The first model Russian revolver was basically the same gun as the S&W American revolver. It did not have the hump on the frame nor the spur trigger guard.

The Russians came back for a second contract and Smith and Wesson worked very closely with a Captain Ordinetz who was an official representative of the Russian government as they were developing the 2nd model. Ordinetz wanted S&W to come up with a different grip shape that would help prevent the gun from rotating in the hand during recoil. Several grip shapes were tried until the one with the distinctive hump was settled on. Ordinetz also asked for a spur to be added to the trigger guard at this time, to further help stabilize the gun in recoil.

This information is contained in David Chicoine's book Smith and Wesson Sixguns of the Old West.

Regarding lanyards, here is an interesting photo from the same book:

That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:45:50 PM »

Offline TennHillyBill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 09:18:52 AM »
Think that pretty well explains those aspects of the Russian Model!  How about that 'uniform' for a reenactment?  That's a pretty hefty lanyard, could double up as a lariat.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 02:10:30 PM »
Looks like that spur could be set over the belt to keep his UNHOLSTERED six shooter from slipping through and tangling everything up.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 04:00:35 PM »
Looks like that spur could be set over the belt to keep his UNHOLSTERED six shooter from slipping through and tangling everything up.

Forty;

That is one of the theories regarding the purpose of the spur.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 06:03:47 PM »
If that were the only purpose I could design something better, but the world's various militaries have always tried to get more than one use out of every device, no matter how small, and to make it as ugly as possible while they were at it.

Some exceptions have managed to sneak through, but not a lot.  :D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com