Author Topic: Larger Grips  (Read 6461 times)

Offline Slainte

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Larger Grips
« on: June 03, 2011, 03:23:47 AM »
Howdy,

Hope that someone out there knows the answer.
My little finger hangs out in the air. Is there a larger SAA grip, I like wood. Have seen the elongated grips from USFA for the SAA Flattop, but noticing the price for those grips, is like buy a new car !!

I am sure I am not the only one, what have you done ?

Thanks

Slainte

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Larger Grips
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 09:58:48 AM »
It was/is common to replace the stock SAA "Navy" grip  and frame with the grip frame and grip from an 1860 Army,  for precisely the reason  you state. 
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 10:26:09 AM »
Don't just order 1860 grips. The screw holes need to match and that seems to be a problem. Ideally you'd need to go to a dealer/distributor and go through their grip frames until you find ones that do match OR buy grip frames without the screw holes and have a machinist cut holes that match.
So you'll need grip frames that fit and new grips.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:35:48 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 10:48:58 AM »
Actually - it's only common in C&WAS.

There are a 'very' few documented instances of 'real' Colts of the era being so fitted, and no one is exactly certain when those were done, or if they were just some gunsmith using up parts at a later time.

If you want a better-fitting grip - look carefully at the fake 'Ivory' offerings that feature the Mexican Eagle or the Texas Longhorn on the outboard panel.

The raised carving fits the hollow of your shooting hand quite well, and allows a stronger, more comfortable shooting grip.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 12:02:31 PM »
I'll admit that I've seen and handled umpteen Colt's SAA and never saw one with 1860 grips on it. I've seen several that had custom grips extending to below the bottom of the grip frame. Unless the rule has changed that's 'illegal' for SASS.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 04:36:09 PM »
One other thing to consider is that a LOT of people's pinkies hangs below the frame.  Most people tuck it under the bottom and it helps keep the muzzle down from recoil (keeps the curved plow handle shape from rotating in the hand) and helps make repeat shots quicker when shooting fast.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 12:05:22 AM »
FWIW, there are a few custom gripmakers who specialize in this for Rugers. I'm sure this fella could make one for your Colt as well if you want. As for me, I have smallish medium sized hands and can get all my fingers on a '51Navy/SAA grip.

http://www.gunblast.com/TiPi_Grips.htm

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 08:55:48 PM »
As far as can be proven, Colt built one with the long grip.  It was a flattop in 38 LC and was built for a man named Fitzgearld, a target shooter, and possibly a foreman at the Colt Factory.  With out going to the book case for the exact date and SN, the pistol was built in 93 or 94.

T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 09:43:33 AM »
EMF sells the Alchimista which is set up with the 1860 grip frame.  You might check with them and see if they sell the parts.
http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/Alchimista-c67.htm
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline rep1954

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 07:34:14 AM »
As of last year the Colt Custom Shop offered a long grip frame. Myself I shoot pinky under as I'm more consistant and more in control that way.

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 08:30:49 AM »
St.George wrote "Actually - it's only common in C&WAS.

There are a 'very' few documented instances of 'real' Colts of the era being so fitted, and no one is exactly certain when those were done, or if they were just some gunsmith using up parts at a later time.

If you want a better-fitting grip - look carefully at the fake 'Ivory' offerings that feature the Mexican Eagle or the Texas Longhorn on the outboard panel.

The raised carving fits the hollow of your shooting hand quite well, and allows a stronger, more comfortable shooting grip."

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

St. George, where did you see that documentation and is there any for changing the 60 army to the 51 navy grips.

Thanks
Quick Fire

QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 01:07:01 AM »

here is an example of an old Colt modified as noted.

Old Top had the idea to put 1860s on a GW long ago. he got the grips/tg/bs from EMF and we ended up writhing to Alchemista directly for the proper fitting screws (and he sent us 2 sets from Italy for free...nice guy.

here is a pix of Old Tops "invention"

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com