Poll

We all have our preferences, so what length barrel do you sport?

Mines longer than 8"!!!
7 1/2" to 8"
5 3/4" to 7 3/8"
5 1/2"
4 3/4"
3 1/2"
I know length is no advantage, mines a snubbie!
I prefer two with different lengths.

Author Topic: THE barrel length for me?  (Read 12063 times)

Offline Mule Ear Mortensen

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
THE barrel length for me?
« on: May 31, 2011, 06:59:26 PM »
If you had to pick one barrel length and one only what would it be?

Why do you like that length?

What disadvantages, if any, do you live with that come with the length you prefer?

If you you prefer two lengths, what are they and why?

I'm hoping to get a good steer on length of barrel for my main match revolvers. Plus it would be fun just for the sake of the knowing.
STORM # 360
HENRY # 145
SCORRS
RATS # 680

Offline Cal Fornia

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: THE barrel length for me?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 08:32:40 PM »
Based on the "one only" stipulation, it would have to be the 5.5" barrel.  I've owned double-actions with 4-6" barrels, but out of all the single-actions I've handled, I've only ever owned one (briefly... an Uberti Remington 1890 I ended up trading for a Winchester Model 61), and that one had a 5.5" barrel.  So, though I do like the looks of the Colt SAA with the 4.75" barrel, I like the weight/balance of the 5.5" best, in all the single-actions I've handled so far.  It's also a good compromise when it comes to sight radius and overall handling from a holster.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 08:38:02 PM »
I like a little length on the barrel for balance and because I believe it makes for a better sight picture.
I don't want to long a barrel so the gun will be easier to pull and not to heavy in front, quicker to handle.
I have 2 Colt's and 2 Colt Clones all with 5 1/2" barrels.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:47:41 PM »

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 01:04:03 PM »
I shoot 1860 colt C&B's  stock barrel length of 8".  I do plan to purchase two more and cut the barrels down to 5.5".
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 03:53:45 PM »
I actually have two Colt 1873 clones one is 4.75" and the other a 5.5". I still want one in 7.5" barrel, blued and case hardened finish as my other guns are. All of mine are 45 Colt also.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 04:22:01 PM »
Started out with a SAA in 5 1/2 in 1956 and never found a reason to change.

I have in the past, and have now, and may have in the future, other lengths, but 5 1/2 is still my first choice.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 04:56:48 PM »
I am both honored and amazed to be among a bunch of men as smart as I am.  ;D

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 07:41:49 PM »
I am both honored and amazed to be among a bunch of men as smart as I am.  ;D
One of my Rugers is 5 1/2 and the other is 4 5/8. Does that mean that I am as smart as you and as smart as someone else? No? How about half as smart as you and as smart as someone else?  ??? WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 07:49:36 PM »
One of my Rugers is 5 1/2 and the other is 4 5/8. Does that mean that I am as smart as you and as smart as someone else? No?

Let's not go there. :o

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 07:58:54 PM »
How about I got one right?  ::) WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 03:10:16 PM »
Well, we have a run away favorite for a change! I guess I shouldn't be surprised since 5 1/2" is the only length that almost all makes and models are offered in.

I will start my shopping with the 5 1/2" models.

Thank you all for your votes and posts!

Mule Ear Mo
STORM # 360
HENRY # 145
SCORRS
RATS # 680

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 08:46:38 AM »
Pick the one that feels best to 'you'.

Consensus may favor the 5 1/2" barrel length - but if it doesn't feel right to your hand - then you likely won't shoot it well.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 04:30:41 PM »
Well I did this ..sorta of the Dan Wesson approach
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 11:30:24 PM »

Consensus may favor the 5 1/2" barrel length - but if it doesn't feel right to your hand - then you likely won't shoot it well.

Yep, in reality you got to try many guns before you buy yours. I like 5 1/2" but you may not.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 04:15:22 PM »
So, beleive it or not, I'm still working this new revolver problem of mine (let's generically blame the economy).  :'(

This is kind of where I'm heading for barrel length. Does anyone have advice on the grip frame of this gun?

I've held one several times and it seemed ok but I've never shot one. So do you likey or not?

Thanks in advance!
STORM # 360
HENRY # 145
SCORRS
RATS # 680

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 06:34:48 PM »
Not sure of your planned discipline....  :-\

If you are planning SASS,  it's good to go....
NCOWS ?  not...Ruger's Bisley is on the disapproved list
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 08:26:35 AM »
First Mule Ear....  Welcome to what I found to be the most fun shooting sport around.... SASS that is....

IMHO: "IPSIC" is way too serious as in my experience "Elitists"; continually, NCOW is way too "Traditionally Limited" hung up on the "Period Correctness" argument to a point of frustration, but still fun in it's own right; conclusively, SASS definitely has it's aspects of the previous but you go with a posse that is SAFELY relaxed to a clownish FUN...

I first started with borrowed Ruger Super Blackhawks with 10.5" bbl's......  TOO FUN but slow.... dislocated my shoulder break'n leather from the hip... it took great discipline to acquire the front sight before trigger pull....  

First pair: owned {OMV} Old Model Vaquero's w/ 5.5" bbl's bought used from a "Gunfighter" class fella in 357 mag. as I had a huge pile of 357 brass already owned....  Shoots great and quick front sight gather'n for "Cowboy Race Gunn'n".....  With the rule change I also installed Super Blackhawk hammers....

Next pair:  Ruger Bisley Vaquero's like you shown earlier but in OM / never shot with 4.625" bbl 'n 45 Colt.....  Fits great in hand with the low hammers and shoots great with the Long Colt rounds..not too different from the 5.5" bbl..... My favorites so far.....

If I was going to do it all over again....  I would save up for a pair of the Ruger SASS Vaqueros in 45 Colt....  they're put together with all the whistles and bell favorites of the CAS folks.....  I would "rent" a pair of something in the 5.5" bbl from a fellow shooter until then....  Then again..... if ya find 'em a 7.5" bbl..... LOOKS REALLY COOL!!!!

How ya like all this macaroni !!!!   :D

Yeti
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 11:17:49 AM »
Major 2
I shoot SASS but I would love to try NCOWS. I haven't found a local club in Northern PRKali (at least not a couple years back when I looked).

Thanks for the info about who accepts what. I suppose I could shoot my mismatched O.M.V. 7 1/2" and N.M.V. 4 5/8" at NCOWS if I found a club within reasonable driving distance? Or the one revolver class in either of those lengths. Have I gotten the wrong impression?

My other guns are a Rossi stainless and brass 92 clone and a nickel Stoeger. You might be noticing now that if I were a pimp there would be plenty about the job to hate but the over the top flashiness would not be the cause.  ;D

Yeti76620
Thanks for the welcome!
So you like your O.M.V. bisley's but would get the .45 SASS Vaquero if you could do it again (or were doing it today). I most want to know if that is because of the out-of-the-box nature of the SASS Vaq. or because of a preference for the plow handle grip?

Thank you all for the help!
STORM # 360
HENRY # 145
SCORRS
RATS # 680

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 04:38:15 PM »
Let me start by saying I own and shoot saa revolvers with barrels from 3 inches to 9 inches.  (Haven't got a Buntline... yet).  My personal preference is for the 7.5 inch barrel.  I like the better sight radius.  I find the Rugers to be a little "front heavy" with the 7.5 inch tube but I've grown used to it.  In Colts and Colt clones the 7.5 incher feels like it balances just right in my hand.  With my 4.75 or my 3 inch sheriff's model I can't hit the broad side of a barn, unless I'm standing inside of said barn.  I'm just about as accurate with my 5.5s as I am with my 7.5s.  I assume I could get better with the shorter barrels if I practised with them more.  Check your other post for my thoughts on the Ruger Bisley.
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 10:18:06 PM »
I pack one 7.5" OMV and one 5.5" OMV, both either .44-40 (preferred) or .44 Extra-Long Russian (aka .44 Mangle-em).  I would really like it if Ruger had produced the New Vaquero in .44-40, which matches my rifle, due to the size of the gripframe (but would need slightly fatter grips...profile like the original Colt's), but I'll stick with what I've got.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com