Author Topic: USFA Supplier  (Read 10771 times)

Offline frankjg

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
USFA Supplier
« on: May 28, 2011, 10:58:02 AM »
Seems like Long Hunter has had a falling out with USFA

http://www.tenring.com/FirearmsSingleActions.html

They seem to have access to most USFA guns

Frank
Frank

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: USFA Supplier
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 12:23:18 PM »
Very sad news.  Very, very sad news.  Longhunter and USFA -- two of the best at what they do.

Very, very, very sad news.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 03:56:26 PM »
You should read the fine print.  First, where in that site did you see that Longhunter and USFA "had a falling out."  Unless you know that for a fact, you shouldn't be spreading rumors.  Longhunter quit taking orders because USFA is shipping little or no product.  You should also read the Ten-Ring blurb a little closer, it says "We lean toward the hard to find models and lots of high end stuff, but usually have beautiful soft nickel Rodeo II's and matte blued Rodeo I's in stock, but are sold out at this time with no indication when we will receive any more.  So, they are basically saying the same thing as Longhunter, THERE AIN"T ANY.  Only difference is that Longhunter quit taking deposits.  As for the other guns, there's no telling how old the advertisement is, what their current inventory is, and most of the stuff listed is listed as sold or on layaway.  There's a local shop in town that has a display case full of USFA's.  Some have been there a LONG time and they aren't getting any new inventory.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:49:24 PM »

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 07:35:22 PM »
...There's a local shop in town that has a display case full of USFA's.  Some have been there a LONG time...

In your opinion, why aren't they selling?  ???

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 07:48:58 PM »
In your opinion, why aren't they selling?  ???

They ask me about shoots I go to around the country and what I see every time I go in there.  I know the owners (very large shop) very well.  They say that four or five r years ago they sold several complete rigs (rifle, shotgun, two handguns and leather) every month.  Things have gradually slowed down and now they say they are lucky to sell one rig every six months.  CAS has simply slowed down and the economy hasn't helped.  They sell lots of Colts, both modern and collector.  When people come in that simply want a single action to "have" because it was part of the old west, they aren't thinking USFA.  They are thinking Colt.  Shooters will buy USFA because it is an excellent firearm.  However, on some models when you compare prices and the Colt is only a few dollars more, even the shooters are turning to Colt.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 12:04:59 AM »
If a person looks at the ATF figures neither Colt nor USFA sell a lot of revolvers as compared to S&W or Ruger. For example, I bought two Colt FSS's in 2008. The ENTIRE Colt revolver production in 2008 in .44 cal. was...................................seventeen revolvers. In 2008 USFA sold 8,334 revolvers. Colt sold 3,993. The interesting part is that 3,003 of the USFA revolvers were in .22 cal. Colt no longer makes revolvers in .22 cal. I would have never guessed that USFA sold so many .22 cal. revolvers.  :o  In 2009 the numbers change drastically. Colt sold 3,002 revolvers & USFA only sold 1,582.  ??? That's a HUGE drop in sales for USFA. Economy?  Other projects?  ???  That's a staggering 81% drop in production is it not?  :o

http://www.atf.gov/statistics/

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 12:45:51 AM »
If a person looks at the ATF figures neither Colt nor USFA sell a lot of revolvers as compared to S&W or Ruger. For example, I bought two Colt FSS's in 2008. The ENTIRE Colt revolver production in 2008 in .44 cal. was...................................seventeen revolvers. In 2008 USFA sold 8,334 revolvers. Colt sold 3,993. The interesting part is that 3,003 of the USFA revolvers were in .22 cal. Colt no longer makes revolvers in .22 cal. I would have never guessed that USFA sold so many .22 cal. revolvers.  :o  In 2009 the numbers change drastically. Colt sold 3,002 revolvers & USFA only sold 1,582.  ??? That's a HUGE drop in sales for USFA. Economy?  Other projects?  ???  That's a staggering 81% drop in production is it not?  :o

http://www.atf.gov/statistics/

Yep, I have cited these numbers a few times.  Basically neither Colt nor USFA are players in the overall gun market.  When people ask why doesn't Colt do this or USFA do that, the answer is simple.  Resources.  They simply don't have the resources to invest in much product development and R&D.  The last gun I can recall that was supposed to save Colt (the civilian company, not the military supplier) was the All-American 2000.  It was not well received, quickly went out of production and almost sank Colt.  I certainly hope USFA has other irons in the fire that is providing them an income stream so they can stay in the firearms business as they make excellent guns.

Offline frankjg

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 10:48:17 AM »
You should read the fine print.  First, where in that site did you see that Longhunter and USFA "had a falling out."  Unless you know that for a fact, you shouldn't be spreading rumors.  Longhunter quit taking orders because USFA is shipping little or no product.  You should also read the Ten-Ring blurb a little closer, it says "We lean toward the hard to find models and lots of high end stuff, but usually have beautiful soft nickel Rodeo II's and matte blued Rodeo I's in stock, but are sold out at this time with no indication when we will receive any more.  So, they are basically saying the same thing as Longhunter, THERE AIN"T ANY.  Only difference is that Longhunter quit taking deposits.  As for the other guns, there's no telling how old the advertisement is, what their current inventory is, and most of the stuff listed is listed as sold or on layaway.  There's a local shop in town that has a display case full of USFA's.  Some have been there a LONG time and they aren't getting any new inventory.

Since Long Hunter no longer list USFA products or takes orders that would indicate that there is a business difference between the two.

The last two guns, a Gunslinger and a Old Armory were ordered and delivered from my local supplier in 6 weeks.

Frank

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 07:20:44 AM »
Since Long Hunter no longer list USFA products or takes orders that would indicate that there is a business difference between the two.

The last two guns, a Gunslinger and a Old Armory were ordered and delivered from my local supplier in 6 weeks.

USFA told me they are waiting on 145 guns on order over 6 months. That might put a strain on a relationship. Why would USFA favor an individual order over one of their best distributors, Not good business practice. If demand for these guns is down what's the problem filling orders ? Something is not adding up .

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 05:28:38 PM »
I know I had been looking for a .38-40 USFA pistol for a long time and couldn't find one, until I read frankjg's first post.  I went to the Ten Ring web site and found exactly what I wanted, in the form of a 4 3/4" dome blue/case hardened frame and hammer.  I gave them a call, ordered it over the phone and it will be here on Thursday.  Can't beat it with a stick.  These guns are in high demand with very slow production.  Get them while you can.

Offline jdpress

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 11:36:50 AM »
Another excellent, stocking USFA dealer that is receiving new USFA revolvers is Trail Creek Trade Co.

http://www.trailcreektrade.com/gunlist.html

Greg Grimes, the President of Trail Creek Trade Company is an outstanding person to work with on the acquisition of any USFA model; he is very honest, completely responsive and his knowledge of USFA products is superb.

J.D. Press

Offline argolfer

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 08:49:20 PM »
USFA told me they are waiting on 145 guns on order over 6 months. That might put a strain on a relationship. Why would USFA favor an individual order over one of their best distributors, Not good business practice. If demand for these guns is down what's the problem filling orders ? Something is not adding up .

I believe the majority of these are the ones that Longhunter reserved at last year's pricing.  Maybe USFA is filling the orders with the new pricing first??  I have a pair of consecutive serial numbered SA's in 45LC/45ACP on that order so I hope it still happens.

Fortunately (unfortunately for my pocketbook) I live in the same town as his shop so I stop by there and check on them ever so often.

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 07:39:27 AM »
Another excellent, stocking USFA dealer that is receiving new USFA revolvers is Trail Creek Trade Co.

http://www.trailcreektrade.com/gunlist.html

Greg Grimes, the President of Trail Creek Trade Company is an outstanding person to work with on the acquisition of any USFA model; he is very honest, completely responsive and his knowledge of USFA products is superb.

J.D. Press

I totally agree, Greg is a friend of mine, and I have bought several guns from him.  A great guy and a great company to do business with.
“I have, in my day, thieved cattle, your lordship. But none that were under my watch” (“Is that what passes for honor with a MacGregor”, Earl of Montrose), “What passes for honor with me, is likely not the same as with your Lordship, when my word is given, it is good”
                     (Rob Roy)

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 08:23:15 AM »
I totally agree, Greg is a friend of mine, and I have bought several guns from him.  A great guy and a great company to do business with.

You do realize you are responding to a posting that is over a year old and that USFA is in the throws of death right? 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline jdpress

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 09:49:55 PM »
You do realize you are responding to a posting that is over a year old and that USFA is in the throws of death right? 

Trail Creek Trade Company still has five Turnbull and USFA revolvers available, some at a reasonable price.

J.D. Press

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 07:35:54 AM »

Yes, I did, but Greg did have several, jdpress says 5, last time I was in there.  Two or three were Factory engraved and they had two or three Turnbull engraved, and when I bought one of the Turnbulls, they brought a couple out from the safe to let me pick which one I wanted.  So even what they had in the case might not be a good indicator of how many they had.  And Greg said he'd just picked up some of the left over Turnbulls, as I was actually buying a second Turnbull to have a matched set.

Anyway, they did have several still in stock.
“I have, in my day, thieved cattle, your lordship. But none that were under my watch” (“Is that what passes for honor with a MacGregor”, Earl of Montrose), “What passes for honor with me, is likely not the same as with your Lordship, when my word is given, it is good”
                     (Rob Roy)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com