Author Topic: Juice From Tuna  (Read 3369 times)

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Juice From Tuna
« on: May 17, 2011, 01:36:28 AM »
As tuna the fruit of the prickly pear cactus. I'd like to take advantage of the abundance of tuna in this area. What are some suggestions for squeezing or otherwise getting the juice out of the fruit?
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
Re: Juice From Tuna
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 07:19:06 AM »
Hey Shotgun.  never tried the juice except to seal a parfleche.  If you are an NCOWs member, I just put an article in the last Shootist on making a parfleche, you can read it the old fashion way in the Historical Society Page here at Cas City.   The juice of the prickly pear was used to seal the parfleches.   Here is a salsa that can be made from them as well.

Nopales Salsa:
1 pineapple, cleaned, quartered, grilled, chopped
~1 lbs Nopales, cleaned, quartered, grilled, chopped
2 fresh ears of corn, grilled, removed from cobb
1 red onion, chopped
6 really plum tomatoes, quickly grilled to remove skin, and seeded. 
2 pablano peppers grilled, peeled and seeded
1 jalapeno, chopped and seeded
3 limes
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Vegetable oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Carefully clean the spines from the cactus.  Then using a sharp knife or vegetable peeler, remove the nubs that held the spines and trim the edges.    Rub the cactus with a little vegetable and season with salt and pepper.   Do the same to the pineapple slices and the corn.   
On a hot grill, grill the cactus for about 15 minutes, turning after 8 minutes.   Cactus should be bronwned and reduced in size.  Cook the corn and the pinapple until both have some nice brown grilling on them. 
While grilling, throw the poblanos and tomatoes on the grill.   For the tomatoes, char the skin and pull them off the grill.  For the pablano peppers, char the skin and then place the peppers in a container with a lid.  Close the lid and let the peppers “steam” for ~ 5 minutes.  Remove the peppers and scrape the skin off with the back of a spoon.  Once the tomatoes and peppers are skinned, seed and chop them into ~¼” pieces.   
Remove the corn from the cob and chop the pineapple and nopales into small, ~ ¼ “ sized pieces. The Nopales will have a brown shriveled appearance but have a tangy and tart, with a touch of smokiness flavor.
In a large plastic container with a lid, zest and squeeze the juice of three limes, add a healthy dose of salt and pepper, then whisk in an equal volume of vegetable oil.    Add Nopales and pineapple, tomatoes, pablanos, onion, corn, and jalapeno and chopped fresh cilantro.   Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.   Serve with chips or as a side to some fish tacos.   

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 05:49:42 PM »
Oh good, I was worried at first you wanted to know what to do with the juice out of canned tuna. ;)

BTW my Lab loves it on his kibble. :D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:19:27 PM »

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 07:09:38 PM »
I was tempted ta say ya ain't puttin that stuff on my Kibble but I thought better of it. Who says I have no restraint? WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline mestiza letty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 11:17:42 AM »
That salsa sounds good Mogrilla 8)
The juice of the prickly pear does aid diabetic sugar levels also. Have eaten nopales alot and my favorite way is BBQ'd on the grill after the carne asada meat has been cooked.
Don't wear out yer shirt collar lookin' fer the hindsight
~Eddie Adamek~ Trick Roper
NRA, SCORRS, RATS #518

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com