Author Topic: Rossi 1892 or Uberti 1866/1873  (Read 40122 times)

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Rossi 1892 or uberti 1866/1873
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 02:38:56 PM »
My wife has a SS Rossi in 357/38, it wouldn't cycle 357's I did the action job on it runs just fine now. I have a Rossi in 45 Colt it was quite stiff out of the box, I did the action job on it now you can cycle it with your pinkie finger. I didn't change any springs, just did a little stoning of parts. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Popa Kapoff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 06:40:08 AM »
Now it time to start a new thread on stoning.
Well off to gunsmithimg I go

Thanks to all for your kind words.
Till we meet keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline temmi

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 11:12:48 AM »
How strong is the Rossi action?

I would like to use the 45 Colt version for hunting also.

Thanks

Advertising

Re: Rossi 1892 or Uberti 1866/1873
« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:34:38 PM »

Offline Three Fingered Fred

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 03:02:38 PM »
A Rossi '92 is made that will handle 454 Casull.

I am noboby, nobody's perfect--therefore I am perfect.

Offline Popa Kapoff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 08:20:52 PM »
How strong is the Rossi action? I would like to use the 45 Colt version for hunting also.

Thanks

It's a pretty strong gun but if you want to hunt with it as well as shoot cowboy then get it in 454 Cassul you can shoot 45LC out of it all day and hunt with the 454

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 10:03:24 PM »
How strong is the Rossi action?

I would like to use the 45 Colt version for hunting also.

Thanks

It will handle any ammo made in 45LC on the market today, period. It will handle a +P load if the really exist in 45 Colt ammo. I also agree with the previous guy if the 454 will truly handle 45 colt ammo then go for it. I'm skeptical until I see one that handles both reliably since their are problems with the 38/357 combo on some.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Malcomhawk

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 07:59:01 PM »
This is my experience with a Rossi 92.  You may have better luck with yours than I did.  Here is the email I sent to the dealer I got mine from.  I guess I should be glad the rifle didn't fail in a way that could cause injury.

"I took the Rossi 92 that I ordered from Davidsons to the range today.  It failed to function in about every way you can imagine.  Out of 20 rounds fired, the hammer failed to lock back twice and had to be cocked by hand.  It failed to extract the casing from the chamber 6 times. And it also failed to feed the next round from the magazine into the chamber 4-5 times.  It seems to shoot fairly straight, but in every functional way it is junk.  I tried it with Winchester and BVAC ammunition as well as some reloads and it failed to function reliably no matter what I fed it.  I cleaned it the first day I received it and everything looked OK, except for a butt screw that was installed at an off angle.  What steps do I need to take to return it?  I don’t think there is enough repair in the world to get this particular dog to hunt."

This was easily the worst rifle purchase I've ever made.  I know you can get a lemon off any production line.  I'm just amazed at how many ways this particular gun could be a lemon.  It is lifetime guaranteed from Davidsons, so I'm not in too bad a shape.  They will replace it until it works.  Might get expensive in regard to shipping costs, but that is the price you pay.  Hope you have better luck than I did with Rossi.

Cole Hart

Offline Popa Kapoff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 12:40:47 PM »
 Malcomhawk I have found this out about ROSSI's they do not like to be dry you have to lube the BeJesus's out of them if you think you put to much lube on it you didn't put enough the first 10 round i shoot after a cleaning i need to clean my glasses. I spray it out then spay on a heavy dose dry lube{that gets in the places i miss} then cycle it a few times then lube it up with gun grease  cycle it then wipe up what ever drips out. This thing cycle 45LC like poop throw a duck. So the first thing you did wrong was clean it Just kidding. My gun felt great when I bought it but after I cleaned and lube it the first time felt ruff and scratchy. So over lubing seem to make them happy.

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2011, 01:45:40 PM »
This is my experience with a Rossi 92.  You may have better luck with yours than I did.  Here is the email I sent to the dealer I got mine from.  I guess I should be glad the rifle didn't fail in a way that could cause injury.

"I took the Rossi 92 that I ordered from Davidsons to the range today.  It failed to function in about every way you can imagine.  Out of 20 rounds fired, the hammer failed to lock back twice and had to be cocked by hand.  It failed to extract the casing from the chamber 6 times. And it also failed to feed the next round from the magazine into the chamber 4-5 times.  It seems to shoot fairly straight, but in every functional way it is junk.  I tried it with Winchester and BVAC ammunition as well as some reloads and it failed to function reliably no matter what I fed it.  I cleaned it the first day I received it and everything looked OK, except for a butt screw that was installed at an off angle.  What steps do I need to take to return it?  I don’t think there is enough repair in the world to get this particular dog to hunt."

This was easily the worst rifle purchase I've ever made.  I know you can get a lemon off any production line.  I'm just amazed at how many ways this particular gun could be a lemon.  It is lifetime guaranteed from Davidsons, so I'm not in too bad a shape.  They will replace it until it works.  Might get expensive in regard to shipping costs, but that is the price you pay.  Hope you have better luck than I did with Rossi.

Cole Hart

The only problem I had with mine when I bought it brand new was it wouldn't feed. Rossi has a life time warranty which I used. Called them though I had never fired it once yet it wouldn't load. Well that same day FedEx showed up, picked it up and I had the gun back in 5 business days working perfectly. I have since had a local gun smith do the Steve Gunz treatment on it which cost me a total of $30. Since then I've probably fired over a 1000 rounds through it without a single problem.

Now a tip on buying a Rossi or Taurus (same company) is the packing grease they use. I soaked the Rossi as I did my 3 Taurus semi autos in rubbing alcoholol (minus wood of course) to remove what ever that stuff is they use. I then cleaned/lubed them before even trying them out at all.

This is just my experience with the Rossi/Taurus guns.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Malcomhawk

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2011, 10:39:45 PM »
Popa,

I hear ya brother!  I don't think oil is going to fix this one though.  I gave the internals a light coat of REMOIL, which is my preferred oil for most things.  Maybe it wasn't lubed enough, as it's not the slickest of oils.  I've used BreakFree as well in the past, but honestly the smell turns my stomach a bit.  Too many years in the infantry... 

The rifle was doing this weird thing where it would extract the casing about half an inch out of the chamber and then kicking it at high speed all the way back in.  Super powerful spring in the ejector I would guess, along with a poorly formed extractor.  The failure to feed, I'm guessing again, is due to some really sharp internal edges, which could be smoothed out, but I'm not willing to do the work myself, since I expect a new gun to work right out of the box.  Any tinkering I might do, would probably void any warranty, and rightly so.

The dealer wanted to see the brass that was cycled through it; not sure what that might tell him.  It didn't look odd at all to me.  No burrs or dents that I could see.  It just looked like expended brass.  I couldn't separate it out anyway.  I dumped it all in with the brass from a shoot that morning, so I had something around 250 casings mixed together.  Good luck trying to figure out which came from which rifle or revolver.

I don't think it will be an issue though.  I've used the Davidsons Warranty before.

Cole Hart

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2011, 11:49:40 PM »
I have no experience with the newer Rossi '92's, but my Puma in .44 Magnum and an M65 in .44-40 have given me excellent service with no problems for about 20 years! About the only thing I did originally was to shorten and compress the ejector springs. IIRC, I bought the .44 Mangle-em used, and it had been worked over to enable it to feed .44 Specials (which I don't use now anyhow).

These two guns were made back in the 1980's or so, and on the original Winchester tooling, and before Rossi was bought out. Don't know what their quality control is like nowadays.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2011, 12:03:01 PM »
I believe some of the fellers that slick guns reccommend white lithium grease. I got some of it for my 92's and yo can lever em with yer pinkie finger(not that ya would want ta). Automotive supply stores carry it in spray cans, it wll penetrate very well. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Popa Kapoff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2011, 01:07:54 PM »
I found that oil willn't cut it. Yay need a good gun grease. What caliber are you shooting it seems 38/375 have trouble more then 45lc some gun like 38 more the 357 and vissa versa.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2011, 01:27:32 PM »
Popa K, that white lithium grease is slicker than any gun grease yer gonna find. WM

Offline Malcomhawk

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2011, 08:24:46 PM »
I use 45 Colt in everything.  I might just go looking for some grease for when I get the replacement rifle from Davidsons.  I've always liked the Remoil, because it cleans up pretty easy without a gummy residue after shooting.  The grease may be better in a 92.  Worth a try.

Cole Hart

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2011, 10:25:21 PM »
I have used lithium grease on my guns however on my Rossi 92 I haven't. I shoot mostly black powder which with lithium or most greases tend to hold residue pretty good. I have actually been using Tetra gun grease as just a couple of drops, and rub it in good. It doesn't attract dirt like grease does. It also leaves a very slick surface but won't last as long as lithium might.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2011, 03:36:18 AM »
I have used lithium grease on my guns however on my Rossi 92 I haven't. I shoot mostly black powder which with lithium or most greases tend to hold residue pretty good. I have actually been using Tetra gun grease as just a couple of drops, and rub it in good. It doesn't attract dirt like grease does. It also leaves a very slick surface but won't last as long as lithium might.
  Should be "white" lithium grease, it is really slick. I shoot a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt, all it has ever had used in it is either Goex or Schuetzen. The cases are annealled and I get no fouling in the action. I use Big Lube for my CAS and Lee bullets for longer range. I am very AR about my guns being clean so IF I had BP residue in the action I would have to clean them. The most I have to do for cleaning the action is one moist Q-tip and one dry one. You don't need ta rub in the white lithium as it is a spray and ya just wait a couple minutes for the carrier ta evaporate, wipe off the excess and yer good ta go. WM

Offline Cal Fornia

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2011, 04:37:36 AM »
Oh, this might be helpful:  http://www.astinfo.com/msdsshts/m24200.pdf    ;D

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2011, 05:37:35 AM »
Looks ta me like ya should not eat it, drink it, or use it as a sunscreen. Other than that ya should be good ta go. WM

Offline Popa Kapoff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2011, 09:43:18 AM »
I use the tetra grease and it work fine. Little dab here and alittle dab there and away we go.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com