Author Topic: Single Action, just about the right speed!  (Read 4830 times)

Offline ZVP

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Single Action, just about the right speed!
« on: April 30, 2011, 05:45:53 PM »
 For years I shot a.45ACP and a D/A .357/38. Today, the only semi-autos I own are several .22 rifles and a few Pocket Pistols.
 All my other shooting has been changed over to Single Action and Black Powder Single Action.
 Since my shooting enjoyment has improved, my ammunition costs have dropped off considerablly and I have rekindled my reading and historical intrests.
 Not a bad swap at all!
 I had to slow down, there didn't seem to be any enjoyment in just throwing bullets downrange as fast as possible.  I was just wasting my shooting time. Without going to some competition level my pratice was in vein. I'd either haqve to dive in a lot deeer or slow down...
 Just about the same time I got intrested in Cowboy Action shooting and guns of the old west. without actually intentionally doing so, I just converted over to the Single Action fro the Semi Auto! I discovered that I really liked BP revfolvers and tried one. I was HOOKED! I also slowed down some more!
 Without a real plan, I got back my shooting intrests and developed new skills and hobbies!
 Today when I go th the Club, They say "here comes ol smokey or old stinky" or some other good natured rib which I don't mind at all. We all have our own shooting passions, and don't really degrade or disparish eachother as to what they are! We're all just happy to be shooting. It's what a real Sportsmans Shooting Club is all about. The best part is we are all shooting within our particular concerns and enjoying it!
 For me, it was about slowing down, and I have found Single actions suit me well!
 ZVP

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
Re: Single Action, just about the right speed!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 08:43:06 PM »
Excellent essay on you personal experiences.  Thanks!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 05:29:31 AM »
Mornin' ZVP,

Welcome to the fire!  I have expanded to the "other" aspects of our hobby as I am sure you will as well.  I now reload, cast, make my own clothes and leather gear.  What some think of as boring (bullet casting), I find therapeutic.

For your reading pleasure, I recommend getting "Log of a Cowboy" by Andy Adams.  Adams was a cowboy at the end of the great cattle drive era.  Puts you right there on the trail.

Kind regards,

PhP     

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:55:57 PM »

Offline ZVP

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 01:14:41 PM »
 Slowing all of it down really is theriputic! Yesterday, I went to the Club and got only 12 Black Powdershots off  while the guy next to me went through a box and a half of .40S&W!
 Even the rangemaster commented to me "what'd you do, shoot only about 12?" "Looks like you were really having fun!"
 Pretty good when those around you nearly read your thoughts.
 Later in the day, I did get to try some high end Factory loads through my .357 Vaquero. Boy! talk about recoil and Muzzleblast! A little later a buddy handed me his .45LC, 7 1/2" Vaquero and almost a full box of ammo. What a fun gun! The long BBL soaks up any percieved recoil and thebig 250 gr bullets are very accurate! I got 25 yard groups you could cover with a fist!
 Even fully charged '58 Remington loads don't seem to recoil. A BIG Bang, lots of smoke and just a strong push. Nothing sharp or quick!
 I love the leisurely pace of the Single Action, it's a long needed break from spraying .45ACP's as I did for years.
 What a fun day!
 I think I am going to be just fine now...
 ZVP

Offline brazosdave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 06:31:17 PM »
That's kinda what happened with me. When I was in the Army, I really liked the soviet weapons, so I collected an ak, a sks, and a tokarov, and shot almost exclusively semi autos. A few yrs back I bought my wife a .38spcl, and I had a .357, so we would buy a big box of .38 to go have fun at the range. THEN, I got bit by the percussion pistol bug! I love shooting my old civil war era replicas, and this has fed into my love of history, and of the old West. It also goes good that I am getting into leatherworking, I just finished up my first holster for my 1860. And yup, when I go to the military range at Ft. Hood, all the range people know me by name, because I'm the only guy who shoots these kind of guns. The one kid made my day when he said "Mr. McMillen, that's about the coolest damn gun I have ever seen!".  The people I have encountered on the CAS and muzzleloading forums are a great bunch too, I've made some contacts, joined some clubs, and have a shoot in March to look forward too. It's always nice to have people who are interested in the same things you are to ask questions of and talk.  Slowing down has been very good for me.
"I'm your huckleberry, it's just my game"

Offline Escopeta Jake

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 11:02:47 PM »
All my other shooting has been changed over to Single Action and Black Powder Single Action.
 Since my shooting enjoyment has improved,

AMEN !!!!!!!

Glocks & ARs are fine but i have never walked off the range with any of my cowboy guns and had a frown on my face.

EJ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com