Author Topic: Revolver pairing question  (Read 16469 times)

Offline LoveandMortality

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Revolver pairing question
« on: April 28, 2011, 07:22:31 PM »
howdy everyone,

First time posting here. I recently purchased a Ruger new model Vaquero in 45LC with a 4-5/8 barrel. I've already puchased a set of custom grips from Austin Originals, a new Mernickle HW1 holster, belt mountain #5 base pin and a wolff reduced power spring kit (19 lb hammer/30 oz trigger). I also had a small bit of custom laser engraving done to make it one of a kind. All that aside, i realize if i were to use this new gun and rig for cowboy shooting i would need 2 revolvers. I was wondering if it would be considered a bad idea or bad etiquette or just plain dumb to have two revolvers of different barrel lengths. I was thinking the 4-5/8 on strongside and a 5.5 or 7.5 barrel crossdraw? I like the idea of having two different size revolvers in my arsenal. I don't want to become known as the Lopsided Ranger though. Thanks guys.
Long days and pleasant nights,
Don

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Revolver pairing question
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 09:07:10 PM »
If you don't point it out I doubt that most folks will notice. I used to know a Shooter who used one of two entirely different rifles during a match. I happened to notice but considered it no big deal.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 09:23:45 PM »
Where's Dalton Masterson? Ya oughta see the interesting assortment of pistols he might pull out at any given shoot - from itty bitty short-barrelled .45s with birdhead grips to a horse pistol as long as his thigh bone.  Most of us who have witnessed it think it adds style & character, & can be downright entertainin'  ;D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:27:38 AM »

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 09:24:09 PM »
I'm in NCOWS now and hope to soon shoot my first event next month. I have an ASM 4.75" and a Uberti 5.5" both are in 45LC and 1873 models. I carry the 4.75 as a cross draw and the 5.5" as a strong side carry straight draw. Now NCOWS only requires a single pistol and rifle for cowboy shooting class with a shot gun added for others. I don't see a problem with it as it wasn't uncommon if someone in that time carried two pistols often different lengths. NCOWS is more historically correct than most other CAS type groups in both guns and attire.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline LoveandMortality

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 05:50:56 AM »
Thanks for the responses. Love to see some of the mismatched iron if anyone would like to oblige. ;D

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 07:11:49 AM »

Richards & Mason in 38 Colt
Type 2 Richards in 44 Colt

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 07:28:03 AM »
Remington in 45 Colt @  8 oClock paired with

at 9 oclock a Second Gen 1860 Army with a 45 colt Conversion Cylinder...

Barrel lengths are similar but beyond that all bets or off  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 10:08:12 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Love to see some of the mismatched iron if anyone would like to oblige. ;D

Here's what I shot last time out

a five shot .36 cap and ball and a .45 Ruger Vaquero.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Offline Uncle Hillbilly

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 07:14:17 PM »
Very cool!  I had this very same question!  I don't have matching guns and was afraid of my weird combo being a problem.  I have a Pietta 1858 Remington cap n' ball at 8" and a Uberti Cattleman Hombre in 45lc at 4 3/4".  I'm saving for a rifle and shotgun and was really afraid I'd have to buy a matching wheel gun.  I don't mind the mis-match, as long as it's not a problem with everyone else.

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
I am wholeheartedly behind shooting mismatched guns for 2 reasons.  To me, it is much more historically correct, and it makes some folks think you are bat-crap crazy.

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 10:21:11 PM »
1)  If you are shooting because you want to be the absolutely fastest shooter and go home with all the prize money, get two matched gun.  They will balance the same and present the same sight picture.  It will shave 10th's of seconds of your 13 second stage time. (That's not me)

2)  If you read about the real "Old West", in the cartridge era, most folks carried one handgun.  If a lawman or bandito, carried two, one was a strong side gun, the other was a short barrel "belly" gun or pocket pistol for back-up.  As Short Knife commented, you are more historically correct carrying in this manner.

Pancho "Bat-Crap Crazy" Peacemaker.

P.S.:  Last Saturday's match I was carrying a 6.5" S&W Russian on my strong side and a 2" Colt SAA Sheriff's model on a cross draw.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 06:05:42 PM »
While not exactly your question.  For years a shot Blued and Stainless 44 Mag Vaqueros.  No one ever even commented on the miss match.  Guess the only one concerned was me, I picked up another blued, so now I match.  Am actually thinking about picking up another stainless so I can have a mismatched pair and a missmatched back up set.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 07:22:54 AM »
I shoot a mismatched pair for two reasons.
1) It's all I have
2) If I can only afford a few guns, why get two that are identical?

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 08:14:17 AM »
A pistol is just something to shoot back with why you run to your horse for your rifle.

Tornado, that's the same reasons cowboys had
Mathew 5.9

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 10:40:35 AM »
My 44-40s are a 7.5 inch mated with a 3 inch.   ::)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Yeso Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 04:13:01 PM »
We had a shooting at a neighborhood branding back in 1886.  Jim White rode up and shot George Peacock 9 times with a Colt and a Smith.  I agree with Pancho.  Why would you carry two guns on the range unless you were fairly certain you were going to need (or use) them?  At this late date and in this area (S. of Ft. Sumner, NM), I doubt many were carrying one, although it sounds like Peacock was armed.   
    In any case, White & Peacock had been at odds for some time and Peacock put the wrong brand on what White thought was one too many calves.  He shot him off of his horse and filled him full of holes and escaped, never to be apprehended.

Those guys were just like us.  If a new model came out and they could afford it, they bought it.     

Billy

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 08:38:50 PM »
.  Why would you carry two guns on the range unless you were fairly certain you were going to need (or use) them? 

If I'm going' somewhere where I KNOW there's gonna be a gunfight,  I'm takin' my shotgun. 
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 04:14:59 PM »
My main match pistols are a pair of 7.5 inch barreled "old type" Vaqueros, (see avatar pic  <---- over there), in stainless steel.
My back ups are an old model Vaquero Bisley with 5.5 inch barrel in blue finish mated up with a 3.75 inch Birds Head Vaquero in stainless steel finish.  Obviously not a match.  All my Vaqueros are caliber 45 Colt.
Now my 38-40s all are 5.5 inch barrels with blue/cc finish, except for my SASS Colt 38-40 which is nickled and engraved.   8)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 06:09:16 PM »
I started with a 1875 Remington and a 1873 Colt. I have since bought a New vaquero Bisley and shot that with the Colt this past match.  However, by next match I will have my second Ruger and then will have a matched pair, but I will keep the other two as backups.
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

Offline Karl

• Very Active Citizen
  • Juneau Gold Miners' Posse
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 05:47:33 PM »

I have shot several odd combinations of pistols over the years.  I already had an Old Vaquero that I am very fond of and being too cheap to buy the nickled Schofield that I would like, I found another good deal on an Old Vaquero.  After shooting C&B and cartridge conversions for so long I feel like I am cheating.   ;)  My wife hates shooting mismatched pistols and just will not mix calibres. 

At the end of the day I really enjoy playing with the widest variety of firearm combinations. 

-Karl  SASS #1772 "Max Degen"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com