Author Topic: colt 2nd generation cap and ball pistols  (Read 65182 times)

Offline Texas Jack

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: colt 2nd generation cap and ball pistols
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2016, 11:12:23 AM »
Fingers McGee,

thank you
Happy Trails
Texas Jack
SASS life # 55314
a.k.a. Kid O'Folliard

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2016, 09:59:15 PM »
Coffinmaker,

I'm not throwing stones but I don't agree with you.
From my research I have learned that the 2nd Gen C&B Colts in the early years (1971 to 1973) are build at the Colt factory. Rough castings of some major parts are used from Uberti, everything else was made at Colt. Later production was made by Lou Imperato at his Iver Johnson plant in NJ under contract from Colt. Quality inspection and marketing still was done at Colt's and all of the 2nd Gen C&Bs will letter as Colt, which I can't believe that Colt would do it for a gun produced at Uberti.
Beside this, I own some Uberti C&Bs and now several 2nd Gen Colts. The difference is obvoious, much better finish, case hardening and blueing is much better and best of all, the 2nd Gen doesn't have these silly "Black Powder Only" stamp and the unnessecary model name on the barrel. All stampings on the 2nd Gen are close to the originals which is by far not the case with Ubertis or any other Italian C&B revolver.
Talking about investment, when I compare prices for 2nd Gen and Italian C&Bs in US and in Germany you realize at least two or three times the price of an Italian C&B for a 2nd Gen C&B. In most cases you realize even more in Germany.

I agree on the finish and outward quality of the Colt compared to Ubertis.

I have both also and the case coloring on the 2nd gen Colts is more like the case coloring on a Colt SAA. Appears to be real case color hardening not the fake stuff on the Uberti's.

The stampings and other bluing and finish is better than your run of the mill Uberti also.

I can't say the Colt actions is any better though, just like the Ubertis need work to make them right. Arbors are too short just like a Uberti, etc. The Colt 2nd gens I've had experience with were pretty poor action wise, I'm not sure they ever thought anyone would actually fire them.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2016, 04:26:16 PM »
Hey Cliff,

That's been my experience as well.  Everybody wants to cheer about how wonderful the 2d Gen Colt Percussion guns were/are.  From an appearance standpoint, they look/looked really good.  Internally, not so much.  All the usual Uberti Problems have been present.  I like your observation that Colt/Imperato may not have thought anyone would be firing them.  Collector stuff only.  Shame really.

Colt purists however, just won't accept the warts.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 05:45:07 AM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2016, 05:17:37 PM »
+2 on the Colt actions.  Some of the worse C&B Colt clones I have tuned were Colt 2nd Gens.  To be honest I think Colt thought more of these would be left unfired as "collector" items than would be shot.  Some of the cased sets in particular look nice in their cases but the guts and internal fit and finish leave a lot to be desired.  For occassional shooting just buy a new Uberti.  For competition the Uberti will require a full tune-up.  If the primary purpose is competition I would start with a Pietta.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2016, 07:48:55 AM »
Ref. Coffinmaker's #42 reply and Pettifogger's #43, all I can say is as the British are fond in saying upon agreement is "Hear Hear"!    Also-

Colt purists however, just won't accept the warts.

Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2018, 10:29:41 PM »
I have guns tuned by Mike at Goonsgunworks .
I have guns tuned by Mike  Coffinmaker .
And I have tuned some of my own guns by Pottifogger postings .
From all I have learned about them,  I prefer to start with Pietta Cap Guns .
I had a hard on for Colts 2nd and 3rd gens to start with .
But the Pietta's and Uberti Cap Guns are better then any of the 2nd & 3rd gens made .
That's just my humble opinion on it .
Rooster Ron Wayne .
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com