Poll

What should I do?

Take the free blueing!!
Blueing sucks, deal with the rust.
I don't wanna vote, just show me the results

Author Topic: Should I have Ruger blue my "case hardened" New Vaqueros? Update: I DID IT!!  (Read 12452 times)

Offline Waldo Bodfish

• Active citizen
  • Lead Farmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
So, I just picked up a pair of vaqueros in the case hardened finish. They had a few spots of rust on them where they were case hardened, but I figured it was the previous owners neglect. The more I read about the case hardened one, the more I see how susseptable they are to rusting. I emailed Ruger CS about having them refinished, but they no longer offer the "case hardened" finish, but they were kind enough to offer to re-blue them for free, and also fix the reverse indexing pawl on one of them. It is an amazing offer, all I would have to do is pay for shipping, and my 2 used rugers will look and operate like new. But, man, I really liked that "case hardened" look. I am so conflicted. So, what would you do?
SASS # 91995
R.A.T.S. # 610

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Should I have Ruger blue my "case hardened" NMV's?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 08:12:39 PM »
So, I just picked up a pair of vaqueros in the case hardened finish. They had a few spots of rust on them where they were case hardened, but I figured it was the previous owners neglect. The more I read about the case hardened one, the more I see how susseptable they are to rusting. I emailed Ruger CS about having them refinished, but they no longer offer the "case hardened" finish, but they were kind enough to offer to re-blue them for free, and also fix the reverse indexing pawl on one of them. It is an amazing offer, all I would have to do is pay for shipping, and my 2 used rugers will look and operate like new. But, man, I really liked that "case hardened" look. I am so conflicted. So, what would you do?
Depends on how much money you want to spend. Turnbull will re-finish a Ruger with charcoal blue and REAL case hardening for $350 each. Check the picture on their website.

Offline Waldo Bodfish

• Active citizen
  • Lead Farmer
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 06:46:19 AM »
I plan on stepping up to .45 colt eventually and don't really think I could justify the cost of sending them to Turnbull, as nice as his work is. Basically it is go with blued, or just leave them the way they are.
SASS # 91995
R.A.T.S. # 610

Advertising

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 09:31:48 AM »
Did any of the original Vaqueros come in all blue ? If not, and you sent them back, you would either have a collector's item or an odd-ball Ruger, depending on your point of view. Have you tried removing the rust with a little oil and some 4-O steel wool used judiciously? You could then wax over the problem areas or just keep them oiled.

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 10:28:50 AM »
Just a reminder. Ruger case hardening is just a chemical finish, not a true case hardening. Not sure it would stand up to steel wool. I would tread lightly here.
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 10:54:28 AM »
Just a reminder. Ruger case hardening is just a chemical finish, not a true case hardening. Not sure it would stand up to steel wool. I would tread lightly here.
Deadeye Dick
yHence the word "judiciuosly". Is this the original Vaquero or the New Vaquero? Not sure what is meant by  "NMV" . In the header it says NMV ,then he refers to it as a Vaquero..
I don't think the old Vaquero came blued but obviously the new one does after 2 or 3 guys at the factory took a look at the CH on the new ones and said, "You know this really looks like crap. Why don't we just go with all blue."

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 11:04:46 AM »
Old Doc,
"NMV" means New Model Vaquero.
I don't think the old Vaquero came blued but obviously the new one does after 2 or 3 guys at the factory took a look at the CH on the new ones and said, "You know this really looks like crap. Why don't we just go with all blue."
I agree with you.
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline Waldo Bodfish

• Active citizen
  • Lead Farmer
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 03:24:05 PM »
Sorry, correct, It stood for New Model Vaquero, which I should have actually called the New Vaquero.
These two specifically. The rear sight finish was pretty boogered by a guy with a file, leaving file marks all along the top of the frame. There is a little holster wear on the muzzle and front sight where it was filed down to shoot POA. I was also thinking of having them replace the front sight blades and have them properly sighted in.
I can deal with natural wear, it is just the ruined finish from the rust, and the butchering on the top of the fram that is driving me nuts.
SASS # 91995
R.A.T.S. # 610

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 06:21:06 PM »
I think they look pretty good as is but we can't see the file marks or the degree of rust. Converting it to all blue isn't going to address the file marks is it ?

Offline Waldo Bodfish

• Active citizen
  • Lead Farmer
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 09:53:14 PM »
the file marks are not gouges, the files just rubbed enough to take the finish off
SASS # 91995
R.A.T.S. # 610

Offline J.D. Goodguy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 09:17:58 AM »
 :)Sounds like you have pretty much decided to send them back and have them fixed up the way you want.  I have a couple of 45 OMV's with the chemical case coloring.  Not only do they rust quickly but the chemical coloring fades with wear.  I'd vote to send them back and have the additional work you want.  You won't regret it.   

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 07:01:37 PM »
Shipping hand guns is a pain and very expensive even if Ruger is going to do the work for free.  (About $75.00 per gun if you ship them yourself.  Cheaper if you have a friendly FFL that will ship them for your.)    As noted, the case "coloring" is just a chemical and as you have found out isn't very durable.  Regardless of what you do they are going to be $400.00 Rugers before and after you are done.  These are shooters.  They finish is going to wear, period.  If you are talking about the rear sight was widened you should not worry about the finish in the slot.  You asked what "I" would do.  I would make sure all the rust is removed.  Then I would degrease the guns with lacquer thinner or acetone and take a Q Tip and some cold blue and go over the spots on the case coloring.  Will blend right in.  You can also tough up the rear sight and other worn areas.  You said the finish was "buggered" not the metal.  Again, these areas will blend in pretty darn good with any GOOD cold blue.  After you have fired a few thousand rounds neither you nor anyone else will know the difference.  If you are going to shoot them, the finish is going to wear.  Being Rugers I seriously doubt you bought them as collector items or safe queens.  Out of curiosity, if the finish bothered you that badly, why did you buy them?  (Unless you bought them sight unseen off the internet or something.)  The photos actually don't look bad at all.

Offline Waldo Bodfish

• Active citizen
  • Lead Farmer
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 08:17:58 PM »
Shipping hand guns is a pain and very expensive even if Ruger is going to do the work for free.  (About $75.00 per gun if you ship them yourself.  Cheaper if you have a friendly FFL that will ship them for your.)    As noted, the case "coloring" is just a chemical and as you have found out isn't very durable.  Regardless of what you do they are going to be $400.00 Rugers before and after you are done.  These are shooters.  They finish is going to wear, period.  If you are talking about the rear sight was widened you should not worry about the finish in the slot.  You asked what "I" would do.  I would make sure all the rust is removed.  Then I would degrease the guns with lacquer thinner or acetone and take a Q Tip and some cold blue and go over the spots on the case coloring.  Will blend right in.  You can also tough up the rear sight and other worn areas.  You said the finish was "buggered" not the metal.  Again, these areas will blend in pretty darn good with any GOOD cold blue.  After you have fired a few thousand rounds neither you nor anyone else will know the difference.  If you are going to shoot them, the finish is going to wear.  Being Rugers I seriously doubt you bought them as collector items or safe queens.  Out of curiosity, if the finish bothered you that badly, why did you buy them?  (Unless you bought them sight unseen off the internet or something.)  The photos actually don't look bad at all.
I actually have  a family friend that is an FFL that will probably ship them for me if I ask him. I didn't realize it was so expensive to ship them until today. Thanks for yalls heads up on that. As for your curiosity, the gunshow was about to shut down and I found them at the last minute, and on top of that, I was really excited to find a pair of matched vaqueros that I completely missed the missing finish. I wasn't worried about the little bit of rust because I did not know that Vaqueros were not a real case harden. I figured I could clean up the rust and the case hardening would still be there.

All in all, I don't have to have them refinished, but it looks as though I am going to have to send them in anyways, due to me needing a part that they are not willing to ship, because it is a "fitted" part. It is not a 100% necessary part, but I would feel better if my Vaqueros were operating exactly as they were designed to. The only question now is, should I get them to do the free bluing while they are there.
SASS # 91995
R.A.T.S. # 610

Offline Waldo Bodfish

• Active citizen
  • Lead Farmer
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 11:22:53 PM »
Well, I went ahead and sent them in. While they were there, I asked a guy in the CS department if it would be possible to get the simulated ivory grips added to them. He told me he would have to check and see if they had any in the shop, but he never got back to me, so I just figured I would get my pistols back with the checkered plastic. Well today they came in and surprise, surprise:

I couldn't be happier!!  ;D
SASS # 91995
R.A.T.S. # 610

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Should I have Ruger blue my "case hardened" NMV's? Update: I DID IT!!
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 12:08:14 AM »
They are absolutely lovely ! Congratulations.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 07:43:52 AM »
Ruger is awesome. Your guns look great!
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 09:14:38 AM »
Those guns look great!!!

Something special, not like everyone else's.

Very, very nice.  Good on you!

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 09:17:56 AM »

Yep, they look Fantastic  ::) :o 8) ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 09:41:47 PM »
Well, I went ahead and sent them in. While they were there, I asked a guy in the CS department if it would be possible to get the simulated ivory grips added to them. He told me he would have to check and see if they had any in the shop, but he never got back to me, so I just figured I would get my pistols back with the checkered plastic. Well today they came in and surprise, surprise:

I couldn't be happier!!  ;D

WOW.... drool, drool ....   :o
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com