Author Topic: Slotterbeck Modified 1876s?  (Read 9334 times)

Offline Hobie

• Top Active Citizen
    • Shooting with Hobie
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Slotterbeck Modified 1876s?
« on: April 14, 2011, 09:50:57 PM »
I've been doing some research on a rifle which came into the shop over a week ago now.  Marked Slotter & Co. Phila, it is a neat if kinda scary to shoot little .22 rimfire tip-up (see below).  Now the Slotterbecks, both Henry and Charles worked on a lot of period rifles.  I was just in the reading room and it struck me that if they worked on 1881 Marlins, 1874 Sharps, etc, they might have worked over an 1876.  I haven't found one in my multitudinous, many day internet searches but perhaps somebody here knows of one such.  If so, I'd like to hear about, get pointed to it, even if the reference is in print. 

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Offline rustyrelx

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Slotterbeck Modified 1876s?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 09:42:11 AM »
I know of no such creature but why not... Slotterbeck rifles have a distinguishing inlay, bow and arrow. On every Slotterbeck I have ever seen. My vast sighting of 2 in hand and several in old books. Apparently inlays were very much liked as all were adorned with many inlays. Sharps was a favorite of theirs to upgrade......Don
SFC USA ret-2004
76Y,45B,45K,63H
GAF 716

Offline Hobie

• Top Active Citizen
    • Shooting with Hobie
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 02:47:22 PM »
I know of no such creature but why not... Slotterbeck rifles have a distinguishing inlay, bow and arrow. On every Slotterbeck I have ever seen. My vast sighting of 2 in hand and several in old books. Apparently inlays were very much liked as all were adorned with many inlays. Sharps was a favorite of theirs to upgrade......Don
Who did the inlay, Charles or Henry or both? 
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:54:10 AM »

Offline rustyrelx

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 10:50:27 AM »
No idea, as I have seen just the rifles but excellant craftsmanship...Don
SFC USA ret-2004
76Y,45B,45K,63H
GAF 716

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 12:08:45 PM »
I had a .50 caliber plains rifle a few years ago, marked "Made for J. Bach, San Fran, Cal.  by Slotter & Co. Philadelphia."  It was a very nicely made and engraved 14 pound gun with a Remington gain twist barrel.  I've never seen any Slotterbeck modified Winchesters, but I have seen a few early Winchesters, including 1876's that went through the Freund gun shop in Cheyenne.  These alterations most often consisted of hand made front and rear sights.

Offline Hobie

• Top Active Citizen
    • Shooting with Hobie
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 06:47:50 AM »
Buck,

Have you seen any of the Sharps modified by either Charles or Henry Slotterbeck?  How do you think they compare to Freund's work? 
Sincerely,

Hobie

Offline rustyrelx

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 08:21:53 AM »
Sorry Buck had to jump in. I have seen both of their works and Freund was an inventor Slotterbeck just rebuilt what was needed, rebarreled, restocked. In my opinion I like Freunds work a whole lot more.  Don
SFC USA ret-2004
76Y,45B,45K,63H
GAF 716

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 10:13:11 AM »
I have to agree.  I've seen several Slotterbeck Sharps as well as many of the Freund guns.   Pablo Balentine, who wrote the book on the Freund brothers, had many original Freund guns and other interesting items made in their shops.  I like all of the Freund altered guns, but the one that intrigues me the most is the "Wyoming Saddle Rifle".  This gun has only changed hands twice in the last 60 years.  Although the Freund Brothers advertised this rifle in their 1879 catalog, only one has very been found.  When it was still here in Montana, I had many opportunities to play with this gun as well as the Boone May Sharps, which was in the same private collection.  The saddle rifle is most fascinating because of it's beauty, craftsmanship and history.  The entire gun was designed from scratch and far exceeds any hand made rifle I've ever seen.   This rifle was made for a specific customer and although that individual carried and used this gun on horseback, it is still in extremely fine condition.  Both this rifle and the Boone May Sharps are pictured in Pablo's book.

Offline rustyrelx

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 09:34:09 PM »
Engraving is great on Freunds also... My favorite is a 77 with an Indian pulling on a bow........ Don
SFC USA ret-2004
76Y,45B,45K,63H
GAF 716

Offline Hobie

• Top Active Citizen
    • Shooting with Hobie
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 06:56:29 AM »
Sorry Buck had to jump in. I have seen both of their works and Freund was an inventor Slotterbeck just rebuilt what was needed, rebarreled, restocked. In my opinion I like Freunds work a whole lot more.  Don
I should point out that CHARLES Slotterbeck actually held three patents.  HENRY Slotterbeck had none. 
Sincerely,

Hobie

Offline Hobie

• Top Active Citizen
    • Shooting with Hobie
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 06:59:44 AM »
I have to agree.  I've seen several Slotterbeck Sharps as well as many of the Freund guns.   Pablo Balentine, who wrote the book on the Freund brothers, had many original Freund guns and other interesting items made in their shops.  I like all of the Freund altered guns, but the one that intrigues me the most is the "Wyoming Saddle Rifle".  This gun has only changed hands twice in the last 60 years.  Although the Freund Brothers advertised this rifle in their 1879 catalog, only one has very been found.  When it was still here in Montana, I had many opportunities to play with this gun as well as the Boone May Sharps, which was in the same private collection.  The saddle rifle is most fascinating because of it's beauty, craftsmanship and history.  The entire gun was designed from scratch and far exceeds any hand made rifle I've ever seen.   This rifle was made for a specific customer and although that individual carried and used this gun on horseback, it is still in extremely fine condition.  Both this rifle and the Boone May Sharps are pictured in Pablo's book.
That saddle rifle..., is it the rifle one often sees in books and articles mentioning Freund?  IIRC, Freund modified the action (the hammer being most noticeable to the neophytes) and had his sights on it.  It is also stocked very differently. 

Just to mention, but Pedersoli (I think) is producing cataloging a Slotterbeck styled Sharps repro. 
Sincerely,

Hobie

Offline rustyrelx

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 09:36:10 AM »
Went and looked at em. Sure do look pretty and at under $800 a very good price in my opinion... Don
SFC USA ret-2004
76Y,45B,45K,63H
GAF 716

Offline Hobie

• Top Active Citizen
    • Shooting with Hobie
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 11:29:03 AM »
Went and looked at em. Sure do look pretty and at under $800 a very good price in my opinion... Don
I haven't seen one.  I'm still researching the Schlotterbeck/Slotterbeck family...
Sincerely,

Hobie

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 07:19:10 PM »
Hobie,
The Wyoming Saddle Rifle is pictured in Pablo Balentines book "Freund & Bro., Pioneer Gunmakers to the West".  It is the very first color photo (CFA18) in the front of the book, with a description on page 349.  An absolutely spectacular rifle.

Offline Hobie

• Top Active Citizen
    • Shooting with Hobie
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 07:53:24 PM »
Thanks Buck.  Another book I'm going to have to buy.  I have run out of bookshelves as well as gunsafes...  ::)
Sincerely,

Hobie

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 09:36:19 AM »
Hobie,
You won't regret buying this book.  Pablo spent years collecting guns and other objects that were made by the Freund Brothers.  The history of each shop as they were put up along the UPRR right-of-way and the photos are exceptional.   Pablo and his wife Red spent summers at their home just outside of Butte, so they used to come to our gun shows here in Missoula every August.    There are a lot of Sharps collectors in this area and they liked to come over just to visit.  His book had just been released, when  he brought Ken Freund over with him to our show.  I had both he and Pablo sign my book.  His inscription says, "To Rick, from Frank's great grandson, Ken Freund".  That was quite a deal for me and the only book signed by both Pablo and a Freund family member.  At the time, he was writing for a motorcycle magazine and he is now a consulting editor for Trailer Life magazine.

Offline Hobie

• Top Active Citizen
    • Shooting with Hobie
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 11:42:14 AM »
That's pretty cool right there.  You're a lucky man (who's made a lot of that luck I'd warrant) to live where you do and do what you do which enables you to meet these people and see these things. 
Sincerely,

Hobie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com