Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2017, 02:04:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  NCOWS (Moderator: Will Ketchum)  |  Topic: Links to NCOWS Approved & Unapproved Lists 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Links to NCOWS Approved & Unapproved Lists  (Read 26845 times)
Russ McCrae
Hat Creek Cattle Co., Front Porch Division
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 02:42:48 pm »

Colt SAA's were never produced by Colt with brass grip frames.   You see them in movies a lot, but they did not exist.  See RL Wilson's big Colt book for reference.

Colt dropped the production of brass grip backstraps before the start of the Civil War.  By the time the SAA came to be, all factory frames were iron.

Probably gonna shoot myself in the foot but would that include the 1872 open top Navy grip? Mine has a brass backstrap Huh Undecided

"What's Good For Me Ain't Necessarily Good For the Weak Minded"

"I'm an admirer of good sense wherever I find it."

SASS #93813
STORM #335
OklaTom
NCOWS Secretary, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee, Double M Cowboys
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Bryan Buck

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 06:48:48 am »

I don't think so at all.  There is plenty of evidence that the navy grip, in brass, existed on the Open Tops.  Here are some photos of serial number 54 and 351 that I found.  Both have brass frames.  They just were not using them on the SAA from 1873 on.

* Open Top SN 54.jpg (59.64 KB, 1200x1200 - viewed 479 times.)

* Open Top SN 351.jpg (87.95 KB, 1024x514 - viewed 473 times.)

"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Russ McCrae
Hat Creek Cattle Co., Front Porch Division
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 01:49:22 pm »

Ok makes me feel better, I'm in the process of learning how to reverse a short stroke kit on a 1873

"What's Good For Me Ain't Necessarily Good For the Weak Minded"

"I'm an admirer of good sense wherever I find it."

SASS #93813
STORM #335
Mad_Dog
NCOWS
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 10:01:55 pm »

I fear the links are broken?
OklaTom
NCOWS Secretary, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee, Double M Cowboys
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Bryan Buck

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 10:09:56 pm »

I fear the links are broken?

The web page was revised recently.  Try these links.

Approved List:  http://www.ncows.org/govern/approved.html

Unapproved List:  http://www.ncows.org/govern/unapproved.html

OklaTom@att.net

edward austin cable
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 11:37:03 am »

Hello I have checked both the NCOWS Approved and Unapproved Lists, but I just wanted to double check before making a purchase. So here is the question; is the Cimarron Man With No Name conversion revolver approved for use in NCOWS?
Thanks
Cable

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. " Captain Woodrow F. Call

God invented the whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 12:25:42 pm »

Ed , here is the straight poop...
By name ? no it is not on the approved list ,
However, the following line is a direct cut & paste from that Approved list.

Conversion Models distributed by Cimarron, Navy Arms, & others.

Now the fact that the MWNN is replica if a Movie Prop, may have some with opinions as to it's legality ...the fact remains it is a Conversion Model by Uberti imported/distributed by Cimarron and others ... and is there for is Grandfathered in.

If you have one use it ,
if not and the MWNN is not something you just must have (snake grip and all.)

I suggest a 51 Navy Richards conversion.

Roger Ragland National Judge

edward austin cable
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 02:02:54 pm »

Major, thank you for the quick response and clear answer to my question. Much appreciated.
Cable

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. " Captain Woodrow F. Call

God invented the whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2013, 06:33:41 pm »

Your quite welcome  Smiley
Stirrup Trouble
Citizen

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2013, 10:01:45 pm »

The following are the pistols that I own and use for SASS. Are they legal for NCOWS (45 colt)?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/F-LLI-Pietta-1873-SA-Revolvers/1293546.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dpietta%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=pietta&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

F LLI Pietta 1873 SA Revolvers (4-3/4" barrel, matte finish)

Thanks
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2013, 02:09:28 am »

The wording in the description on the website you provided states....
"A faithful re-creation of the venerable 1873 Colt Single-Action Army revolver..."
when in fact it is not , And here lies the rub .... the guns finish is it the culprit...

The matte finish weather Millennium matte nickel or Millennium matte blue is NOT approved.
Though polished Nickel or blue is ....

There are workarounds, there is no one in my estimation in NCOWS that would slam a door to someone wishing to shoot NCOWS.
To that end, NCOWS offers a one (1) Year moratorium , for one to get his kit approved... Approved guns or clothing.
Attend a posse event and work toward that goal.

There several tutorials on bringing the "matte finish" to a state where it would be acceptable.

Stirrup Trouble
Citizen

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2013, 08:56:01 am »

The wording in the description on the website you provided states....
"A faithful re-creation of the venerable 1873 Colt Single-Action Army revolver..."
when in fact it is not , And here lies the rub .... the guns finish is it the culprit...

The matte finish weather Millennium matte nickel or Millennium matte blue is NOT approved.
Though polished Nickel or blue is ....

There are workarounds, there is no one in my estimation in NCOWS that would slam a door to someone wishing to shoot NCOWS.
To that end, NCOWS offers a one (1) Year moratorium , for one to get his kit approved... Approved guns or clothing.
Attend a posse event and work toward that goal.

There several tutorials on bringing the "matte finish" to a state where it would be acceptable.

I was afraid of that. I liked that finish too. Oh well. Maybe I can try a few matches this year anyway. Thanks for the info
River City John
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Mr. & Mrs. John Covert

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2013, 09:00:00 am »

Stirrup,
in addition, the 1873 was not produced with a brass grip frame and trigger guard. (Scroll up just a bit to the top of this page and you'll see that question has come up before.)

That being said, The Blue River Regulators would welcome you with open arms! If I remember, the idea of a one year grace period to get your arms and gear correct is not officially written anywhere in NCOWS national policy, just a tradition. Although The Blue River Regulators have incorporated it into stated policy on our club by-laws.

Once you start shooting with us, you're going to see so many ideas and combinations of gear and firearms that it'll make you giddy. Oft times, club members are the best source for finding good deals on "field tested" firearms and gear. It's a given, once you get bitten everyone seems to always be turning the inventory.

You mentioned being close to us as far as a drive. I'm about an hour away, and many of our members drive the distance regularly. Some up to a 2 1/2 hour drive.

Hope to see you.  

RCJ  

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/River_City_John
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2013, 10:27:09 am »

Stirrup

I urge you to visit the Blue River Regulators, attend one or more of their shoots.
You will have a great time

I offer the link to the Tally Book, John Ingram's tutorial within will help you greatly. 

http://www.ncows.org/resources/pdfs/2013tally_book.pdf
Stirrup Trouble
Citizen

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2013, 02:08:43 pm »

Stirrup,
in addition, the 1873 was not produced with a brass grip frame and trigger guard. (Scroll up just a bit to the top of this page and you'll see that question has come up before.)

That being said, The Blue River Regulators would welcome you with open arms! If I remember, the idea of a one year grace period to get your arms and gear correct is not officially written anywhere in NCOWS national policy, just a tradition. Although The Blue River Regulators have incorporated it into stated policy on our club by-laws.

Once you start shooting with us, you're going to see so many ideas and combinations of gear and firearms that it'll make you giddy. Oft times, club members are the best source for finding good deals on "field tested" firearms and gear. It's a given, once you get bitten everyone seems to always be turning the inventory.

You mentioned being close to us as far as a drive. I'm about an hour away, and many of our members drive the distance regularly. Some up to a 2 1/2 hour drive.

Hope to see you.  

RCJ  

Thanks for your kindness in the one year moratorium. I look forward to shooting with you guys if I can get over, and even though my pistol isn't approved to start with, it will give me a chance to see what approved guns I might like that are in my price range so I can be legal as soon as I can swing it, instead of being forced to just rush out and buy something blind so I can shoot with you guys. From what I am reading, my rifle is okay, so I just need to fix my pistol situation once I get started with you guys.

Have a wonderful Christmas!
Pancho Peacemaker
NCOWS Texican Senator
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2013, 09:26:44 pm »

Thanks for your kindness in the one year moratorium. I look forward to shooting with you guys if I can get over, and even though my pistol isn't approved to start with, it will give me a chance to see what approved guns I might like that are in my price range so I can be legal as soon as I can swing it, instead of being forced to just rush out and buy something blind so I can shoot with you guys. From what I am reading, my rifle is okay, so I just need to fix my pistol situation once I get started with you guys.

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Stirrup:

A few other items you will want to avoid for NCOWS matches:

1). No "buscadero" drop leg holsters.  While these are seen in lots of movies, Hollywood made them up. They didn't exist in the Old West.
2).  2-shot cups for holding shotshells.  Most SASS shooters use these. They didn't exist in the Old West.
3).  Leather slides for holding ammo on your belt.

Our goal is to try and look as close to the real deal as we can (based on research).

Take a gander at my home club web site.  Our local posse judge did a great piece on authenticity for the new NCOWS shooter.     

http://www.bergersharpshooters.com/Authenticity___Links.html

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)
JohnsonBarr
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2013, 01:49:26 pm »

The brass framed 'Navy Grip' 1872 Open Top first appeared in Colt's catalog of 1872. Specifically referred to as: 'Navy Six Shot Revolving Pistol'. Oddly enough the illustration wood cut shows a Richards-Mason on the cover. Go figure.
  Also it is important to read the rules carefully as only belt slides for shotgun shells are not allowed. An example of period correct cartridge slide would be the M1874 Hazen Loop Slide. This leather loop slide had a short military life between the belt worn cartridge box and the Mills Co. canvas cartridge belt. As handy as the Hazen slide was that peculiar chemical effect between brass cartridges and leather, 'the green crud', gave the Hazen a short field life until the Mills Co. belts came under contract.
OklaTom
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Bryan Buck

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2013, 11:16:52 am »

RCJ  

Actually, it was formally introduced in By-Law 1-1 in 2010:

1-1. Any responsible person, 18 years of age or over, may become a full member of this organization after application and payment of the usual initiation fee and/or dues. Membership shall not be denied because of sex, age, religion, race, national origin or physical handicap.

NCOWS truly represents the period which it embraces. We recognize that this was a time when a man's word was his bond. It is our philosophy that this honor system is much preferable to legislation whenever possible. When an individual professes the desire to join our organization and participate in NCOWS events, local clubs work with new members, help them get their kit together and allow up to a year at the local or “posse” level to achieve “Level 1” authenticity as described by Marlan Ingram’s “Three Levels of Authenticity” attached elsewhere in these bylaws. Participation at Regional or National events requires full adherence to NCOWS standards and bylaws regardless of membership duration. (Amended March, 2010)

The one year is a really good addition, since not everyone is able to just jump in all at once.

OklaTom@att.net

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  NCOWS (Moderator: Will Ketchum)  |  Topic: Links to NCOWS Approved & Unapproved Lists « previous next »
Jump to: