Author Topic: Where can I get a cylinder alignment pawl?  (Read 6863 times)

Offline Waldo Bodfish

• Active citizen
  • Lead Farmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Where can I get a cylinder alignment pawl?
« on: April 12, 2011, 06:49:41 AM »
Anybody know where I can get a replacement reverse index pawl for a new vaquero? I have one that is worn down that needs replacing and I cannot find anywhere to order one.
Thanks
SASS # 91995
R.A.T.S. # 610

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Where can I get a replacement reverse index pawl?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 06:08:16 PM »
Haven't seen any at Brownells or Midway.  You will probably have to call Ruger.  How did you wear down the pawl?  They are usually pretty durable.  I had some old pawls and just installed one of those in a New Vaquero and then tapered the right hand tip of the pawl.  Same effect.

Offline Waldo Bodfish

• Active citizen
  • Lead Farmer
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 09:08:33 PM »
I just bought them at a gunshow  a couple of days ago, previous owner might have done some "gunsmithing"
SASS # 91995
R.A.T.S. # 610

Advertising

Re: Where can I get a cylinder alignment pawl?
« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:28:07 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 11:11:16 PM »
I'm leaving for a shoot first thing in the morning and won't be back for a week.  But, what exactly are they doing or not doing?

Offline Waldo Bodfish

• Active citizen
  • Lead Farmer
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 06:37:34 AM »
The cylinder spins in both directions with the loading gate opened, does not have the smoothness my other vaquero does when rotating the chamber, and its reverse pawl is in good shape. I wish I had them in front of me so I could take a picture, but I am offshore for the next 2 weeks.
SASS # 91995
R.A.T.S. # 610

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 07:14:31 PM »
Actually, they aren't supposed to spin in both directions.  If they do someone has removed the spring loaded detent in the ratchet window.  Are you talking one gun doesn't rotate as smoothly backwards or when it is spun in the proper direction?  You can probably get a Ron Power reverse pawl as the Ruger is basically the same design.  What Ruger did was try to fix a problem with the original Vaquero.  On that gun when you were loading or unloading and trying to line up the chamber with the loading gate if you went just a tad to far clockwise the pawl would slip to the next tooth on the ratchet and you would have to go all the way around to load or unload that chamber.  On a Colt type action when you rotate the cylinder the hand (Ruger calls it a pawl) locks the cylinder in the proper location for loading/unloading.  Ruger put a reverse spin pawl in the New Vaquero BUT then also put in a tiny spring loaded plunger in the ratchet window so the cylinder would only back up enough to perfectly align the chamber with the loading gate.  Ruger did not intend for it to be totally free spinning in reverse.  If you remove your cylinders and look at the part of the frame where the ratchet goes you can see this plunger or the hole where it was located.  You may not even need a new pawl.  If the plunger has been removed you need the plunger, spring, and retention screw.  Since Ruger did not intend for the cylinder to free wheel in reverse, some of the guns may be rough going backwards with the plunger removed because the pawl is dragging slightly on the ratchet teeth.  This is not a problem because, once again, Ruger did not intend for the cylinder to be free wheeling in reverse.  If you remove the plunger and want the gun to go in reverse then sometimes the pawl needs a little more adjusting.  This would also be true of any new pawl you were to obtain.  It might not rotate in reverse at all until it is fitted to the gun.

Offline Jack N. Water

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 08:07:15 PM »
 I purchased two Ruger Vaquero Bisley's in 45LC from two separate sources used. I boxed them up and sent them to Ruger with a note to do the following, Safety inspect both guns and replace all parts required to bring both guns up the current Ruger standards. Please have the same gunsmith work both guns at the same time or in sequence to assure similarity in function. What I got in return was the following, Replaced one barrel, trigger springs, main springs, reblued cylinders and second barrel, replaced one ratchet pawl, cleaned test fired and returned at no charge.

Now I can move forward with the modifications for competition with a known base point. Ruger was awsome and returned them within ten days from the time they were recieved.   

So I suggest you send them in to start with.  ;D
SASS 86688
GAF 756
NRA
RATS 604

Offline Waldo Bodfish

• Active citizen
  • Lead Farmer
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 09:16:03 PM »
I purchased two Ruger Vaquero Bisley's in 45LC from two separate sources used. I boxed them up and sent them to Ruger with a note to do the following, Safety inspect both guns and replace all parts required to bring both guns up the current Ruger standards. Please have the same gunsmith work both guns at the same time or in sequence to assure similarity in function. What I got in return was the following, Replaced one barrel, trigger springs, main springs, reblued cylinders and second barrel, replaced one ratchet pawl, cleaned test fired and returned at no charge.

Now I can move forward with the modifications for competition with a known base point. Ruger was awsome and returned them within ten days from the time they were recieved.   

So I suggest you send them in to start with.  ;D

SASS # 91995
R.A.T.S. # 610

Offline Jack N. Water

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 07:18:24 AM »
I"m not sure I understand the last post.  ???
SASS 86688
GAF 756
NRA
RATS 604

Offline Waldo Bodfish

• Active citizen
  • Lead Farmer
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 09:08:12 AM »
you have me thinking  ;D
SASS # 91995
R.A.T.S. # 610

Offline Waldo Bodfish

• Active citizen
  • Lead Farmer
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 09:12:08 AM »
BTW, this is the part I am talking about, the little spring loaded pin that comes through the back of the frame. It has either worn, or has been filed down to where it barely touches the ratchet? on the back of the cylinder

ETA: I don't claim ownership if this picture, it was borrowed from the ruger website for illustrative purposes only
SASS # 91995
R.A.T.S. # 610

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 02:11:03 PM »
It's hard when you talk about one thing and mean something else.  That, obviously, is NOT the pawl.  It is the detent I referred to in an earlier post.  Cock the hammer, look in the hammer channel, and you can see the screw that holds it in.  See if it needs tightening.  I sure as heck wouldn't spend $75.00+ dollars mailing a gun back for a ten cent part.  Call Ruger they will probably just stuff one in an envelope and send it to you if it is worn.  (Which is doubtful.  It is either loose or someone ground it down for some reason.)

Offline Waldo Bodfish

• Active citizen
  • Lead Farmer
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 03:02:07 PM »
Right you are Pettifogger!!! The bad thing is, I just got off of the phone with Ruger CS, and it is one of the few parts they will not sell  >:(  The correct name for it is the Cylinder Alignment Pawl.
SASS # 91995
R.A.T.S. # 610

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com