Author Topic: Look what followed me home. Update  (Read 15215 times)

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Look what followed me home. Update
« on: April 05, 2011, 08:10:07 PM »
Howdy

I have always thought the 44DA looked like such a cool old gun. I particularly like the shape of the trigger and trigger guard. I found this one on Saturday. Yes, I am quite sure it has been refinished at some point, and the front sight is a real disaster. Looks like a nickel plated piece of steel that somebody did a poor job of pinning in place. But I think that can be replaced and I'll have a nifty old shooter. Low SN, 24XX; 44 Russian caliber, 6 1/2" barrel. I already load 44 Russian with Black Powder, so I am all set in that regard. Too bad I can't use it for Cowboy shooting.

That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Look what followed me home.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 08:33:41 PM »
Not sure but that might be legal for NCOWS clubs as well as GAF shoots.  they aren't single action exclusive like SASS.  Check with your area clubs.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:01:41 PM »
No such thing in my area.

But I know one cowboy club that will probably allow me to shoot it.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Advertising

Re: Look what followed me home. Update
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:50:38 PM »

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 10:25:21 PM »
Really nice.  One thing about the refinish it looks more like it was in the 1890s than if it were all wore.  I to love these old double actions.  I would probably put some reproduction grips on so not to damage the orginals.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 10:46:44 PM »
Howdy DJ,

What a cool sixgun. I know it's not SASS approved, but any local club that wouldn't let you shoot it must be run by a bunch of stuffed shirts, gamers and poltroons.

It sort off looks like a Russian that has it's trigger falling out. I noticed what looks like two sets of notches on the cylinder. What's the deal there? Something to do with the DA operation?

Reverend Chase

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 08:22:55 AM »
I noticed what looks like two sets of notches on the cylinder. What's the deal there? Something to do with the DA operation?

Very good observation. Yes, there are two sets of cylinder notches. The rear set engages the bolt, the front set engages a projection from the trigger. When the hammer is down, the trigger is forward and the projection on the trigger is up, engaging one of the front notches. When the trigger is pulled or the hammer is cocked single action, the trigger rotates backwards just like on most other DA revolvers. This lowers the trigger projection and unlocks the cylinder allowing it to turn. As the trigger or hammer continue back, the bolt rises and engages the rear notch. The long vertical cutouts on the cylinder are clearance cuts for the trigger projection, since it is not spring loaded, but is a part of the trigger. It's a really funky system to watch in action. Many of the early S&W 32 and 38 double action topbreaks employed the same system and have the same extra notches on their cylinders. Later models of those guns employed modifications to that system and did away with the extra set of notches. But there were not a whole lot of these DA Number Threes made and there was no follow up model with an improved action.

That's how you can tell the early models of a lot of the S&W 32 and 38 double action topbreaks, if they have the extra cylinder notches. Here is a photo of an early S&W 38 Double Action top break with the same type of action. The 32 and 38 pocket revolvers were very popular and S&W made several model changes as time went on, modifying the action and getting rid of the extra notches. But since only about 53,590 of the DA 44s were made between 1881 and 1913, S&W never modified the action.

Here is a really, really cool 44 DA that I saw at an auction house once. This one was shipped to Teddy Roosevelt just before he went to Cuba at the beginning of the Spanish American War. I believe he actually took delivery of it in Cuba. This one went for big, big bucks, because of the provenance.

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 10:53:37 AM »

Dandy piece, Driftwood. Congrats.
I have a one in .44 Russian and one in .44-40 and really like them.
Will say, though, that the ruskie is much more comfortable to shoot than the .44-40 in these relatively light revolvers.

Just FYI, they are NCOWS legal. While I don't shoot mine at matches, I often use one at reenactments and such.

Enjoy.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 12:56:29 PM »
Driftwood;

On the first Sunday in May, at the KVC Range (Garnett, KS) will be the NCOWS Double-Action Championship.  This will be the fifth annual DA shoot.  The first year it was won with a S & W DA .44.  The next two years with S & W .38 Safety Hammerless and last year with a .45 Webley.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
This one followed me,just don't know what caliber it is ???

Bunch a ole scudders!

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 03:44:23 PM »
After taking it apart, and removing all the heavy grease somebody had left inside, then coating everything with Ballistol, I took it out to the range on Saturday and fired about half a box of 44 Russians through it. What a pleasure to shoot! The grip feels just like a K frame curved grip. Trigger pull is light and manageable. Hits right where it points. You can be sure this puppy will see a couple of matches this year.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 06:11:54 PM »
That is one cool gun Driftwood,what was the idea behind the barrel being shaped that way?
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Cherokee Bob

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
Congrats on the new toy!!! Looks really nice.  Thanks for posting the pics and the explanation on the cylinder grooves.  vey cleaver those old gun designers.
Live Free, Shoot Straight Be Strong, Die Hard

Cherokee Bob

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 09:17:47 AM »
That is one cool gun Driftwood,what was the idea behind the barrel being shaped that way?

Howdy

Not really sure what you mean. All #3 Smiths had a rib running down the top of the barrel. The bore of the barrel was in line with the chambers of the cylinders, but the rib was more or less flat all the way back to the top break latch.

Dunno if this helps or not.

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 01:41:16 PM »
Howdy S&W DAers,

The rib/barrel contour looks like an elegant, victorian solution to venting away powder fouling.

Reverend Chase

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 04:09:37 PM »
The rib/barrel contour looks like an elegant, victorian solution to venting away powder fouling.

You may well be correct. My New Model Number Three has a similar contour to the barrel near the forcing cone. Not like a SAA where the corner is square and a lot of fouling tends to collect there.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 05:29:52 PM »
Good photo of the fourth & final style of gas collar at the front of the cylinder.  ;)

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 05:24:33 PM »
So tell me more about gas collars and their evolution please.

By the way, Supica and Nahas usually refer to them as gas rings, that's why I was using that term.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 06:49:43 PM »
Driftwood, you REALLY need the following book:

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-American-Model-Charles/dp/1931464243

S&W lengthened the gas "collar" (their term) three additional times after its initial configuration in the 1st American Model. Interestingly, these changes, as well as others,  e.g., recoil plate, etc., were ideas of the Russian inspectors at the factory.  ;)

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 10:30:37 PM »
FCK

I'm currently plowing my way through Davd Chicoine's book about all the #3 Top Breaks. That other book will have to wait.

By the way, Chicoine calls it a gas ring too.

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 07:47:35 AM »
Howdy Again

Range report. Took the DA44 to a local match yesterday and they allowed me to shoot it single action. Boy did I have fun with it. Six stages, all Black Powder of course. Plus I ran one stage a second time double action with a reload on the clock. No binding at all. Boy, Smith sure new how to make these things back then.

P.S.

How do you like the new front sight?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com