Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2015, 01:51:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  NCOWS (Moderators: Will Ketchum, St. George)  |  Topic: Can you safely draw from a reverse holster? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can you safely draw from a reverse holster?  (Read 3031 times)
PJ Hardtack
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 09:17:09 pm »

In Schiffers's book on ACW revolvers, there are pics of soldiers and Officers wearing their flap holsters butt to the rear, despite regs to the opposite.

Seems a little combat experience was enough to convince them which way was best.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
St. George
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 12:02:49 am »

Sounds more like the negatives were reversed.

They weren't like the 'Mexican Loop' holster that could be worn on either side - they featured a 'dedicated' right-hand-only flap and loop.

Look more carefully at the photos.

Then, as now - the primary weapon of Cavalry (the guys that actually carried revolvers) was the carbine.

They weren't walking down the battlefield towards one another a'la 'Gunsmoke', or some other fantasy scenario seen in C&WAS.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."
PJ Hardtack
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 06:43:37 pm »

No, the negative is not reversed. Schiffers is too good of a researcher to fall for that and you aren't giving me any credit either.

The photo show a group of Infantry Officers, three seated, one standing. Also standing is an Infantry Sergeant with his rifle at the order on his right side. So is his cap box.
Of the three holsters visible, two are being worn on the right side, angled to the front, butt to the rear. One of the seated Officers appears to be wearing the issue holster on the right, butt facing forward.

Two of the holsters, while both flap type, do not appear to be large enough for the 1860 Army, so I suspect that they were smaller, privately purchased arms.

Sounds more like the negatives were reversed.
They weren't like the 'Mexican Loop' holster that could be worn on either side - they featured a 'dedicated' right-hand-only flap and loop.
Look more carefully at the photos.Scouts Out!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
Cliff Fendley
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2014, 10:56:43 am »

Even if you reverse negatives it wont make a butt forward appear to be butt toward the rear.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers
OklaTom
NCOWS Secretary, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Oklahoma Tom

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2014, 01:35:16 pm »

Even if you reverse negatives it wont make a butt forward appear to be butt toward the rear.

I had to laugh at this, Cliff.  The "negative reversed" claim was so obviously wrong regarding the butt forward/butt rearward issue that I ignored it as a ridiculous hip shot made without any real thought behind it.  Glad it was not just me...

"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Mean Bob Mean
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2014, 02:33:49 pm »

What if they are from an alternate universe?

"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger
OklaTom
NCOWS Secretary, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Oklahoma Tom

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2014, 03:57:52 pm »

Ah, that would explain it...   Roll Eyes

"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Cole Bluesteele
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2014, 08:19:15 pm »

Cowboys & Aliens!!!!!!
Cliff Fendley
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2014, 08:36:16 am »

In that case they've got their butts where they don't belong.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  NCOWS (Moderators: Will Ketchum, St. George)  |  Topic: Can you safely draw from a reverse holster? « previous next »
Jump to: