Author Topic: Can I Run this by the more Knowing ?  (Read 34345 times)

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406
Re: Can I Run this by the more Knowing ?
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 06:08:55 PM »
Thats good to know, glad they finally got with the program.

AFTER I was all set up under the old system!  I guess I'll stick with what I have.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1160
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 11:42:46 PM »
For beginners, I concurr that a single stage not only reduces complexity, but helps train the brain whilst keeping things simple.

Whilst I personally prefer RCBS and good cast iron, if one were starting from zero this Lee kit from Cabelas for $105 on sale is complete except for dies, and will do nicely for many years for pistol calibers:

http://tinyurl.com/lee-on-sale

If budget were not a major concern you could do far worse than the Lyman Crusher Kit for $329.99:
http://tinyurl.com/lyman-complet-kit

which has a proper case trimmer AND includes the Lyman Loading book!

you will also want a case tumbler and media, here's one on sale at cabelas for another $50:
http://tinyurl.com/Lyman-Tumbler

Since you Plan to load 38 spcl. 44 Colt & spcl and 45 Colt, you need dies at here you'll find Lee Carbide on sale for $26 each:

http://tinyurl.com/Lee-Dies-on-Sale

and last you will need
 consumables -
 - powder (I like Unique)
 - primers, large and small pistol
 - case lube

And if you choose to cast your own, you'll need  bullet molds
These from track of the wolf look "fairly" traditional"
http://tinyurl.com/TOTW-Molds

.38  ==>LEE-90303 Lee .38 caliber, .358" diameter, 158 grain, flat nose solid base BPCR mold, double cavity . . . $19.25
.44 ==> LEE-90285 Lee 44 caliber, .429" diameter, 200 grain, flat nose, solid base BPCR mold, double cavity . . . $19.25
.45 ==> LEE-90358 Lee 45 Long Colt, .452" diameter, 255 grain, flat nose, solid base BPCR mold, double cavity . . . $19.25

- a lead pot http://tinyurl.com/Lee-Production-Pot  $50
- bullet lube (alox, whatever)

For Bullet lube, for starters you can get by with the old lee "cookie cutter" lube system or get a Lee sizing die
http://www.gunaccessories.com/lee/molds&melters/Lube&SizeKit.asp

or just tumble them in liquid alox.

I leave the arithmetic as an exercise for the accounting student ;-)

did we scare you off yet ? ...  ::)

It's a pretty penny to start, but at $50 a box for cartridges the $300-$400 startup cost is paid for rapidly!

The wise reloader will take a lesson from the recent shortages and quietly stockpile supplies against a time of need -
it is simplicity itself to double your purchase for a bit - ie: if you need one pound of powder buy 2 pounds.
if you need 400 primers, buy a thousand. In this manner it spreads the cost and it is not as painfull as dropping the dime for all the gear, and another thou on componants and lead all at once....

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 11:38:29 AM »
You might also check garage sales and pawn shops. I was once offered a banana box full of reloading stuff for $10. While some things wear out, a single stage press by a major maker can withstand anything short of a fire or explosion.
BTW, if anyone ever gives you old powder thank them and then pour the stuff out on your yard later. You have no control over how or what might have been done to the stuff.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:39:02 AM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 11:49:18 AM »
This thread shoul be put on the FAQ List under Everythin YOu Wanted to Know aout Reloading ... What great info!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 12:21:24 PM »

BTW, if anyone ever gives you old powder thank them and then pour the stuff out on your yard later. You have no control over how or what might have been done to the stuff.

I've had several times I've been given full sealed cans of powder, as long as it's still sealed I use it.  I was given two full pounds of 4895 and two full sealed cans of Green Dot a couple years ago.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 01:38:19 PM »
Nooo ..ain't skert yet  :o   but I'm a might bit cautious

I have pard that going show me the ropes, then armed with hands on how too
I'll buy my kit....

I think I'll do BP.....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Modoc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Editor, Shasta Regulators State of Jefferson
    • Shasta Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 10:48:06 PM »
Major,
A lot of good advice has been posted above.

Another place for many hours of "On line Info" ishttp://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=4.  The Reloading area of the Brian Enos forums. Again, it does not substitute for reading the reloading manuals.   

Shotgun Franklin is also right on about being patient and watching yard and estate sales along with the pawn shops.  I just picked up a Dillon 550 with 5 sets of dies, 4 tool heads and 3 conversion kits for $275.  Almost $1000 of tooling if I had gone out and bought them new. :o  There are definitely deals out there ;D

Good hunting and I hope that you enjoy this secondary aspect of our sport.
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Offline maldito gringo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 04:59:26 AM »
There is,however, a sinister side to reloading: addiction. yes, iknow, it starts innocently enough: "I'll just load a few". How many
have said that? Soon you're in the basement cranking out thousands of rounds laughing hysterically.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 09:55:31 AM »
Nooo ..ain't skert yet  :o   but I'm a might bit cautious

I have pard that going show me the ropes, then armed with hands on how too
I'll buy my kit....

I think I'll do BP.....

Major;  Good attitude on all 3 points! :) :) :)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 01:00:19 PM »
I was going involve my wife..but she'd just shoot her mouth off ...no wait !  :o

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 05:18:56 PM »
Howdy

Am I the only one who noticed he is going to be mostly loading Black Powder?

I strongly suggest you pick up one of these books. All written by Mike Venturino. Shooting Colt Single Actions, Shooting Sixguns of the Old West, or Shooting Lever Guns of the Old West. Each one of them has a great primer for loading the old cartridges with Black Powder. The only place I disagree with Mike is you don't need a drop tube to load for Cowboy shooting. Looks like the Colt book is currently out of print, but it looks like Mike has the other two. Don't get the Buffalo Rifle book, it is strictly about shooting single shot rifles. You can buy that another time.

http://www.mlventerprises.com/

If you are going to be loading real Black Powder, you MUST use a BP compatible lube on your bullets. Regular Smokeless lube will cause problems. There are other methods, but by far the easiest is to use Big Lube bullets. You will save yourself a lot of hassles if you simply use the Big Lube bullets and lube them with a BP compatible lube like SPG. Go to Dick Dartardly's Big Lube Bullet site.
Dick does not sell bullets, just molds and stuff, but if you go to to his links page he lists several casters who cast the Big Lube bullets commercially. I assume you are not going to want to start casting bullets at this point, better save that for after you have been loading for a while.

http://www.biglube.com/

I am not even going to get into the debate about what type of equipment to buy. Do not rush into this. Before you spend one red cent on equipment, buy a good loading manual and read the chapter describing the reloading process. There is a lot to absorb. I recommend the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook because it has good illustrations for the beginner. The big Lyman book is also good, as well as the books from Speer, Lee, and Hornady. Then, once you have a feeling for the type of equipment that is available, then, and only then, consider what type of equipment and what brand you want to get.

Reloading can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. You can single stage it for a while, or you can jump right into a full blown progressive machine. However, be aware that there are a few basic differences between loading Black Powder and loading Smokeless. That's why you need a regular manual as well as one of Venturino's books, to sift out the differences.

For what it's worth, I started with a used single stage press, then once I felt comfortable with what I was doing, I moved up to a progressive. However, if you are going to get started reloading with Black Powder, I recommend you do not start with a progressive press. Start simple with a single stage machine, you can always move up later once you understand the basics.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline JimmyUnderwood

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 11:04:29 PM »
Some tips right on the ballast from a guy in the know, though not specific to BP:

http://www.curtrich.com/reloading.html

You're gonna have a hog-killing time rolling your own once you get the hang of it.  ;D
Jimmy Underwood
--
I'm a new citizen of Cas City ... and this http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,37436.msg478127.html#msg478127 is my story.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 05:48:15 AM »
Correct DJ...BP is the plan ...Big Lube bullets and SPG. were on my short list.

Some years ago someone sent me some Sample BLB's to try.
 I gave then to my then reloader, who loaded them for me.

I'll hold off on equipment for now ,I've some reading to do..........
but the single stage is my first choice....I've picked up alot of help with this thread  ;D

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
Newbie Reloading Questions
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2011, 05:27:58 PM »
Okay,

First I want to admit that I am a newbie at this ... and am watching my pennies as well.

I have heard so may people say to start with the Lee single stage Reloader ... so I think that is what I want to do.

Since I primaryily shoot a brace of Navy Arms (Uberti) Schofields, I will probably start with reloading smokeless.

That being said, I am guessing there is a lot of people who are moving up from a single stage Lee to a multistage reloader ... 

are there things to watchout for in a used Lee single stage reloader?

And would I save enough to make it worthwhile? Like 40%?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2011, 07:15:34 PM »
Major.

I went to Cabela's to pick up a Lee outfit.  I bought a used Dillon Square Deal that is very nice, but I load several calibers.  I compared the Lee Classic Cast to other Lee single stage and the Cast is hands down the choice!  It is affordable, incredibly strong (a beast) and works smooth as silk.  You can remove the threaded bushing if you decide to use the RCBS 12 Gage cowboy dies as well.

Good luck,

PhP

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2011, 11:15:34 PM »
The thing to watch out for on the Lee and other cheaper presses is try and make every pull the same so that any flex in the press is the same every time. In order for ammo to be consistent it has to be repeatable. That is the BIG difference with the Lee challenger presses compared to the RCBS, Lyman, and other more ridged presses.

It's not as big of deal when shooting pistol Cowboy action stuff as accuracy isn't as important. When you get into precision rifle it's a different game. The better presses don't flex and give the repeatability you need for accuracy.

I would recommend starting with a single stage but the best one you can afford. If it's the Lee then go for it but if you can swing for the RCBS it's the last single stage press you'll ever need. You can really tell the difference once you've used both. The Lyman press that looks like the Rock Chucker is an awesome press also.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2011, 05:35:24 AM »
Cliff

As I'm one who enjoys & understands quality tools ,and having photo toured your shop, your recommendations hold a strong value with me.
When I spring, it will be the RCBS Rock Crusher Single Stage... Though I doubt I'll ever go beyond 38, 44 & 45 in western action loads.
It will be good to know I have a ridged press.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2011, 09:25:55 AM »
Lot's of good advice here, I'd agree with those who suggest a single stage to start with. I started with a Lyman 310 40 years ago, and very quickly moved up to a Lyman Spartan single stage(I don't think they've made this one for years) Still the only press I have.

Also, I just got one of the "new and improved" Lee hand primer tools. They still use the special shell holder, not the regular press type. It's supposed to be safer then the old ones, but for me it doesn't seem to work nearly as well. I can't seem to get through priming a hundred cases without dropping at least one or two primers on the floor, That never happens with the old one. Only reason I got the new one is because the old model came to me used, and the primer ram for small primers was missing.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2011, 08:38:13 AM »
The Rock Chucker is an awesome press, but because it was overbuilt to be able to handle the rigors of bullet swaging it is somewhat expensive and, being a one-holer, is also kind of slow if frequent die changes are needed.  Handgun reloading takes a 3 or 4 die set at least.  For some reason I have found it possible to use 6 different dies when reloading 45 Colt with BP (long, off topic story).

The LEE turret presses are more than adequately built for any handgun and most rifle cartridges, and it is a few second process to change dies in them.  I have quite a few presses, including a pair of Dillion RL550's, a Corbin Swage Press, a Lee Cast Classic (Lee's attempted clone of the Rock Chucker), and an older LEE 3-hole turret press.  None of them are junk... far from it. They are all mounted to my bench at all times, and all get used quite a bit. Each one is a bit better for a specific task than the others. The LEE turret press gets quite a workout regularly. I have more turrets for it than I want to count (30 maybe?) with assorted dies in them for various calibers or specialty dies.

When I got the LEE turret press many years ago, that was all LEE had in the way of Turret Presses. If I was to do it all over again, I might consider that 4 hole Cast Classic.

Just to end the story properly, I have has other presses and gotten rid of them because they were not working out well for me. I kept the ones that worked well for me and got rid of the ones that did not. The story that most often comes to mind was about 20 years back, when I had a pair of LEE PRO1000's set up in 44 and .45 ACP. I know other people seem to like them, but regular jamming was frustrating, and when a primer feeder tray blew up in my face I got scared and unloaded the pair for $100 bucks complete with dies.  I put the $100 towards the first Dillon RL550 and never regretted it.  I know other people use the PRO1000 and will defend them to the death and I won't argue with them... just stating the facts as they happened.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2011, 07:20:01 AM »
Nows a good time to buy.

Anybody needing equipment look around cause now might be a good time to get good stuff for a good price. I saw the RCBS master reloading kit for a super good price with a 50 dollar rebate at our local gun shop and then have noticed them for good prices in Cabelas. Might also check Midway or Grafs too.

They also had the Lyman stuff on sale too but not as good of deal as the RCBS.

The Lyman Crusher press is also a very good press comparable to the rock chucker and their other products are good too.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com