Author Topic: Can I Run this by the more Knowing ?  (Read 34341 times)

Offline Cutter Carl

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Can I Run this by the more Knowing ?
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2011, 10:03:28 AM »
I really like my Lee Classic 4 hole Turret press.  Only takes a few minutes to adjust the dies in the turret plate and then takes only seconds to switch the plate and shellholder to change calibers. 

Only a few seconds to remove one screw and the advancement mechanism is disabled turning the press into a single stage.  If needed. 

NCOWS #3053
SASS #79783
Cracker Cow Cavalry - Florida's 1st NCOWS Posse
CCC - Marshall
Eagle Scout 1980

Offline Junkman

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2011, 06:57:48 PM »
You don't have to take off that collar. Just remove the twisted rod.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2011, 01:32:23 PM »
I got started loading for high power in summer of 94. The tumble, lube, size, trim, deburr/chamfer, remove lube,prime, charge, seat bullet thing kinda made an automatic progressive not real workable.  Ya could have done a batch job on sizeing then did the manual stuff for a bunch of cases then swapped out after sizing but...

Elected to go with the Lyman - T-mag expert kit.  Needed the tumbler - bought a lyman (memory sketchy may have been in an expert deluxe kit at the time, think bought separately).  Got the case kit couple of brushes and mica for neck lube (dont need for CAS).  Also got the primer pocket kit and the lee hammer driven depriming kit in .30 cal to knock crimped in primers out.  Most depriming pins in die sets will bust doing them.

Shooting 2 -3 50 - 80 round matchs a month with sometimes another 22 rounds for a 100 yard and 51 for a Palma match some times, without ever singley overloading the lyman tumbler, wore one out in about 2 years.  Replaced it with a dillon CV 500.  Wokred it hard many years in high power.  It finally died last month.  Dillon upgraded it to the newer CV750 under warrantee.  I would have gladly paid, as I certainly got my moneys worth, but at the time I bought it tumblers had the dillon warrantee.  As they do not make the motors they no longer warrantee tumblers for life but do rebuild for less than 1/2 price of new.

Have beome lazy in my old age so in the past couple of years I have added two turrets so I can leave dies set up for commonly shot calibers.  Have 3 empty holes for not so often calibers.  WHat evey you choose recommend you make dummy ronds exaclty how you want finished rounds to work to aid in set up.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 08:20:15 PM »

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2011, 08:58:45 PM »
10-4 on what Cliff Fendly said about getting a RCBS type ammo reloading kit. Check out the prices of other brands also (Lyman, Hornady). Midsouth Shooters Supply usually has most prices beat. I've been doing business with them along time. When comparing prices, they can't be beat for price and service. I bought my RCBS Rockchucker back in Feb of '76 and nary a problem with it. I bought most of my reloading equipment seperatly over the years, but if I was just getting into reloading, the kits have the basic things you need, expierence will dictate what you need later on. Get carbide dies if you can if you are going to reload for pistol-saves having to roll brass on a lube pad and then having to clean the sticky lube off. If you are going to reload bottle neck rifle, ya have to suffer through the lubing, unless you get one of the new fangled lube dies. I like Lee's 'Factory Crimp" dies also for pistol. It's another step after you seat the bullet, but it really puts a nice crimp on the bullet. Lee's hand primer is also a valuable tool. Wore out my first one, on my second one now, but wish I had gotten one of the new square tray models vs the round tray. Lee makes some good assesories, but I've never been to impressed with their presses and scales. No offense to those who have them, but when compared to others, the quality difference can be seen.

Just received a Midsouth flyer yesterday, they have various manufacturer kits on sale, call for a catolog or check online. I've steered several new reloaders down the 'kit' road and they were satisfied with their decision. After reloading for a spell, they discovered what added tools they needed. I've reloaded 1000's of rds with the RCBS single stage press and can reload all the ammo I need. In fact, I enjoy reloading and casting bullets as much as shoooting. Don't consider it a chore. The only thing I detest is case trimming, but suffer through it when needed.

The comment about using or starting out with a single stage vs a progressive press has alot of merit. You can't just start cranking out quality ammo by pulling a handle. Takes alot of forethought, planning, research, and knowing how a cartridge is put together. I play guitar, self taught, but alot of guitar teachers have told me and I've heard a number of professional players say that if you want to learn to play, the best road is starting out on an acoustic, learning the basics. If you or one of your children want to advance and maybe play electric, the techniques for playing electric will come much eaiser. You can't just pick up a Fender Strat and sound like Clapton right out of the chute! If after reloading on a single stage for a spell and you really need a progressive, you will have the  basic knowledge and expierence to go that route.

One item that doesn't come with most kits is a stand to mount the powder measure. A strap is furnished to mount it even with a table or bench, but the stand puts it up where it is easier to charge cases. Not needed to reload, but it makes the process alot easier. Time, talking with other reloaders, research (ie, gun magizines/books), and actual reloading will show you what you need and not need. Be glad to talk with any of ya about getting started or questions, just send me a PM and can exchange phone  numbers. Yers, Crow Choker
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2011, 05:13:22 PM »
Well I scored a used Lyman single stage press this evening...   :D
 It's called a Crusher Spartan (edit)
it needs a clevis pin for the extention that lifts the piston.

I need to get dies,  and a few more items ,  but I'll be making my own rounds before to long
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2011, 05:47:59 PM »
Well I scored a used Lyman single stage press this evening...   :D
 It's called a Crusher I think....
it needs a clevis pin for the extention that lifts the piston.

I need to get dies,  and a few more items ,  but I'll be making my own rounds before to long

Its painted orange and called the "crusher"?  I think that the name is deliberate.  I think they are also extra large to work with .50BMG, or swage bullets?  I know with RCBS a 1-800 call and a chat with the tech and I'm GTG.  I hope a call to Lyman works as slick.  Often those fasteners, and other bits & pieces are standaed trade items that you might find at you local DIY store.

Sounds like a good score.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2011, 06:08:52 PM »
Major-The Lyman 'Crusher' press is a quality, hardworkin press. Knew a reloader once who had one and it is 'top shelf' as far as single stage presses on the market. Sir Charles comment on Lyman's customer service, whether it was up to RCBS's (which I to have found to be very good) is as good as RCBS's. The time's I've called them ref mold's, dies, etc, they were doing back-flips to please me. :) ;D (like these Christmas smileys ;D)
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2011, 08:22:11 PM »
Well the guy dropped it off  :)  but as it turns out it's a Spartan ... it is like new old stock thought, As I think these date back to the 70's or so.
It does not appear to have ever been bolted dowm  :-\

I read a bit about them ...they use standared die's,  and got a good rating for being handy because of it's C Frame design.

I plan to load only pistol cartridges  38 Colt & Spec'l , 44 Colt & Spec'l  & 45 Colt  (some mentioned the Spatan did not like long Rifle Cases )

In one or two photos you can see the pin I'm missing.....

I'd like to try to make this work for me, I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2011, 08:38:32 PM »
Remember reading about them and the ads in gun mags, never any thing negative as I can recall. The pin your missing would be a solid steel pin. Lyman may still have some in stock, worth a call or with the right measurements, a machine shop may be a place to check out. The open 'C' press style will work well for what you've indicated you will be loading. From what I've read and heard they only had their limitations when loading some of the bigger rifle calibers or swaging bullets.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2011, 08:55:42 PM »
That's what I read too... I have only Pistol caliber WAS shooters to load , for so it should work just fine...

I'll call Lyman tomorrow , course I have no idea what the pin is called or the Part #  :-\

But if I can send them photo....  

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2011, 09:29:14 PM »
That's just like my press, I've loaded a LOT of rounds on it(In fact, it's the only press I've ever used) It has loaded lots of pistol ammo, plus rifle up to 30-06 length, lot of other milsurp calibers, up to .45-70. It has been reliable for all that, but I've never done any heavy duty case forming with it(I doubt if making 25-20 out of 32-20 counts as "heavy duty") I have had it since I was about 15 or 16, bought it about '73 or '4 from Gander Mountain, when I got tired of loading with a 310 tool.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2011, 12:28:30 AM »
I've got an old Bair C press someone gave me I set up from time to time, mostly use it to size bullets with Lee dies.  I would not worry about any normal loading with it, I would not use it for heavy duty forming, but for normal resizing and loading they do just fine.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2012, 07:05:37 PM »
My brother has a Gray Lyman press that I think is called the Crusher. Its made very much like an RCBS rock chucker and is a very good press.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2012, 11:40:07 PM »
I set myself up , made a stout table of 3 layers of 3/4 ply (2 1/4" thick) and steel legs, which in turn is then bolted to the wall, very solid.
 Lyman responded,  no parts for this model ( circa 1972) except they still carry the handle. They did send the OEM Manual reprint though, but it's not much other than instructions on bolting it down & reversing the Handle for up stroke or down stroke operation.
The Lyman Spartan is bolted down ( the missing pin was 5 /16'' X . 375 ) I made two out of 5/16 = 0.3125 Case bolts.
These are slip fit, and tend slide a bit in operation.... I measured a Drill bit shank and it ran 0.314 so I have cut one to lenght
and will see if that will tap in for snugger fit maybe add a dolup of blue gel Loctite.  :-\

My first attemps will be with Heeled bullets in 38 Colt cases with BP.
I need to get some Dies, I'll start with 38 Colt .... ( I need a .375 or .376 sizing die as well )

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2012, 07:46:56 AM »
Major,
You are on your way..... ;D I would suggest getting a plastic cup of some sort (margarine container) and using a rubber band to fasten it below  the priming mechanism. Otherwise you will have spent primers all over the floor............

Here are a few other things I would suggest:

1.)Manual - If you haven't already, get a reloading manual. I would recommend the Lyman. I would read the reloading chapters at least 3 times or until you are very familiar with it. The chapter on casting bullets is very good too.

2.) Carbide die sets - eliminates the messy job of case lubing.

3.) 50 round loading blocks  (45 caliber cartridge trays work great for 38's)

4.) Lee or RCBS auto prime - much faster than loading primers 1 at a time in the press

5.) Powder measure - Lyman 55 - has graduations for b.p.

6.) Powder scale - Hornady electronic- very reasonably priced and works very well (I like a manual scale as well but ever since getting the Hornady, I rarely use it anymore.)

Have fun!

w44wcf   
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2012, 09:05:32 AM »
yes sir ..I'll have fab something up...I was sent link to eBay with listing for an OEM Primer cup attachment..it was sold.
But the price it sold for was like it was gold  :o
I saw the presses in the $30 range, and the cup (new old stock ) sold for $42
I'll do something like you suggest (" plastic cup of some sort (margarine container ")

Carbide die's...OK , check

I got hand primer & a bullet puller ...gonna get a tumbler tomorrow..

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2012, 01:51:52 PM »
If you were going to do multiple calibers, I would suggest the RCBS hand priming unit as it takes standard shell holders.  One less thing to buy.  But then I just bought a couple of 2nd shell holders just to keep from taking one of the press if I need to prime a few more cases. 
No actual benefit over buying the lee special shell holders for their hand prime unit.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2012, 07:15:44 AM »
Howdy Major,

Just wondering how your reloading experience is going.......

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2012, 08:54:05 AM »
Roger,

I have used  a LEE 4 hole turret press with auto index for 18 years (was 3 hole but converted it to a 4 hole).  I can do 150+ pistol rounds a minute withe auto-powder dump in the LEE die set, and use LEE factory crimp die in forth hole.  VERY economical.   I manually set primer and bullet, and don't have any problems.  I have different turrets for different calibers: 30-30, .44 Mag, .38 S&W (pocket).

Midway USA has a great buy on them.  $214 for everything including auto dump powder hopper, and scale!
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785993/lee-4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index-deluxe-kit
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2012, 10:04:10 AM »
Here's the older style kit that I have.  It's $114.  It doesn't come with the powder measure/dump, but that can be added.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/622290/lee-4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index-value-kit?cm_vc=S016ID785993
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com