Author Topic: Authentic holsters?  (Read 21282 times)

Offline Slim-Jim Davis

• Citizen
  • loved by most feard by all
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Authentic holsters?
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 11:53:33 AM »
Hello I'm relitivly new to the SASS and NCOWS and from reading NCOWS I had done a might bunch of studing old photos and I notice a lot of peopl especially cowboys didn't have leather insted they tucked them in to ther belts I noticed thi is especially popular with confederate renegades so my question is are holsters manditory
Better to die a hero than to live a coward

Online St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 12:31:32 PM »
What you're seeing are photos of Eastern dudes - all dolled up for the folks 'Back East' to show how wild and wooly the West was.

Those are studio props, and there are many threads on the topic.

For your safety's sake, and for ours - get a holster, and familiarize yourself with range regulations.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 12:36:27 PM »
Hello I'm relitivly now to the SASS and NCOWS and from reading NCOWS I had done a might bunch of studing old photos and I notice a lot of peopl especly cowboys didint have leather insted they tucked them in to ther belts I noticed thi is especly popular with confedrat renigades so my qustion is are holsters manditory

Your study is correct. "Mexican" carry (revolver tucked in pants or belt) is seen in many period photos.

It is not allowed at CAS competition due to safety concerns.  A dropped loaded revolver is frowned upon by match officials.  Plus you have the potential of a hammer or triggerr getting snagged in loose clothing.  

Keep your side arm in leather for competition.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:27:03 AM »

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 01:04:53 PM »
Hickock was known to have carried his Navies tucked into his sash at times.  As for gun leather:

What about David Carrico's stuff?

http://www.carricoleather.com/

He seems to know the difference between authentic and not.  Besides, he's  a really nice guy.  Also, Walton Taylor claims to sell a Slim Jim that uses everything it is supposed to in order to be called authentic.   See it at:

http://www.waltontaylor.com/gunleather/californiaholsters.html

Cheers
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 05:54:01 PM »
Is that SASS legal?

If a lady fumbled a round into her bosom accidentally, would that not be regarded as a 'dropped round' and be unretrieveable?
Of course, I'd gallantly offer to help her but .... ;>)

Some Ladies put them in their decolletage.  ;) Rose Marie comes to mind and their is no greater lady. 8)

Will Ketchum
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 07:03:59 PM »
Is that SASS legal?

If a lady fumbled a round into her bosom accidentally, would that not be regarded as a 'dropped round' and be unretrieveable?
Of course, I'd gallantly offer to help her but .... ;>)

If I get any fatter, I'll be holding my extras there.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 09:51:46 AM »
Another plug for David Carrico. Fine guy and great products.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 10:04:40 AM »
David Carrico, Cliff Fendley, and a fellow out of Colorado called Trail Rider, all make really good authentic holsters and gear.  I have pieces from each.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 09:24:34 AM »
David Carrico, Cliff Fendley, and a fellow out of Colorado called Trail Rider, all make really good authentic holsters and gear.  I have pieces from each.

They are good, as is Homer Brown out of Kentucky.  If in is illustrated in Packing Iron, Homer can make it.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 10:50:23 AM »
I forgot about Homer.  I did not mean to leave him out.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 12:22:26 PM »
I have been talking to David Carrico about attending this years Convention. I gave him all the info.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline David Carrico

• Top Active Citizen
    • Carrico's Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2014, 04:37:52 PM »
Thanks for the plug and kind words! I will be at the convention! I look forward in meeting everyone!

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: #810
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2014, 05:28:03 PM »
I have 2 belts and holsters in the classifieds that are copied off rigs of the 1870 and 80s and made by El Paso.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2014, 07:54:09 PM »
I need to get David to make me a slim Jim holster for my 1860 Army to match the one he made for my 51 Navy.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2014, 11:53:18 AM »
About all my leather is made by Ron Peachee (Montana Dad) of Evansville, IN. He makes very good period correct leather. If interest I can pm his number. Tj
Homer Brown and Cliff Fendley are both good. I have some leather by Homer and have seen several Cliff has done. You can't go wrong with any of these folks, all NCOWS members.
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2014, 04:21:50 PM »
I just got this one from Dave Carrico :) I have several of his , I used a great deal of his horse tack in my Mounted day too.

This one he had on hand , wait time 2 days !
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline KLNC

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 10:21:33 AM »
One issue with El Paso.  They refuse to make a holster without a hammer thong or a retaining strap.  I argued with them that it simply wasn't authentic on a Slim Jim, but didn't make a difference.  I tried to cancel my order as a result--they just ignored me and delivered the holster with the hammer thong.  After many years of being a loyal customer--that was my last dealing with them.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 01:01:53 PM »
One issue with El Paso.  They refuse to make a holster without a hammer thong or a retaining strap.  I argued with them that it simply wasn't authentic on a Slim Jim, but didn't make a difference.  I tried to cancel my order as a result--they just ignored me and delivered the holster with the hammer thong.  After many years of being a loyal customer--that was my last dealing with them.

In all fairness (to a competitor!  ;) ) let me say that in our letiguous society their product liability insurance and/or their lawyers may not give them any choice about including a retention strap or hammer thong. I am well aware that those devices were not in use before the turn of the 20th Century, but I must include them as well...thongs on most of the Old West holsters, retention straps/flaps only where historically correct or for my hunting/field holsters. In the case of the thongs, they are placed in such a manner that they aren't readily seen when worn. Of course, I can't force the customer to use them or even keeping them installed. I include a sheet with every order (as well as others on the care, use and "feeding" of their gear!!!) explaining how to use the thongs. If a customer truly odes not want the thong, then they do so with the understanding that I cannot be responsible for accidents or incidents resulting fromm the lack thereof! (In other words, if you don't use the retention device, and you have a live round under the hammer of your Colt's-style single action, and the gun falls out, hits the hammer spur, discharges and shoots you or a bystander, I'm not responsible!!! And, BTW, a hammer thong is ONLY intended to keep the gun from falling out of the holster while you are doing summersaults, etc.! It is NOT intended to keep the hammer spur from snagging on something and cocking it!)  Also, when ordering from me, lets get on the horn and talk. Unless, of course, you live in Europe or Australia or Antarctica or someplace!
This is NOT a solicitation for business! Just a matter of information on the subject!

Your obedient servant,
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com