Author Topic: question about nickel S&W Schofield 2000 7in.  (Read 6531 times)

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
question about nickel S&W Schofield 2000 7in.
« on: March 27, 2011, 03:46:08 PM »
Howdy all,

I have an S&W Schofield 2000, in the 7inch nickel version (serial # NKL011x). I bought the pistol new, and have not seen another since. I have read on the CAS City forum that there weren't many produced and was wondering if anyone had any recent production info on these, apparently rare, versions. Some years ago Six Gun Shorty thought that possibly no more than a handful had been made. Just wonderin' what these might be going for these days ( I wish I had also picked up the nickel 5inch that was laying next to this one at the time  :(
Thanks,
Tom
The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse.

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: question about nickel S&W Schofield 2000 7in.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 07:05:23 AM »
Howdy

According to the third edition of the SCSW, they were produced from 2000-2002. The first 125 were to be offered up in an online auction and supplied with a cherry presentation case. That's about all the SCSW says. I have heard guesses that maybe 1500-2000 were produced. I have asked the question on the S&W Forum. Will let you know if I get any more authoritative answers.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 04:30:33 PM »
Howdy Again

Here is some information I got from the S&W Forum. The poster told me this was straight from Roy Jinks, the official S&W historian.

"The Performance Center Schofield 2000 was introduced at the January 2000 SHOT Show.
2600 7" blued versions were made from 2000-2002.
200 Wells Fargo Express 5" versions were made split between blue and nickel.
151 150th Anniversary gold embellished 7" Schofields were also made in 2002."

Sorry, no mention of 7" Nickel Plated versions.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:25:29 AM »

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 07:38:37 PM »
Driftwood,
      Thanks for the info! I have the blue S&W box with the details on the label, so I'm sure it's "as delivered" from the factory. I don't know if it was a Lew Horton special series, or if they made so few of them the factory records don't show them :) without some serious digging.

Shoots like a dream, tho  :)

Thanks!
Tom
The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse.

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 09:17:16 PM »
Don't know how many they made either but I have  serial number 71. :)

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 08:18:50 AM »
JimBob,

A nickel 7 inch? That's great!!  :)

Mine is NKL0119, so there are probably at LEAST 48 (and likely a larger number than that).

This one came from the factory in the GOLD ( I remembered it as blue, until I dug it out this morning) Heritage Series box ,with a plain cardboard sleeve, but no cherry wood case or medallion, so it must have been after S&W discontinued those items. I would have thought with a probable number that large, the factory records would reflect them. ??? I can't remember what Roy gets for a factory letter, but it might be worth the effort if they could tell me how many were made in this configuration. My local gunshop has 3 of the blue, engraved ones that he is just sitting on. They have large gold inlaid portraits of Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson (I think they are kinda gaudy looking).
Tom
(maybe I should put it in the safe and not shoot it anymore.......NAH!! ;D)

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 10:22:06 AM »
JimBob,

A nickel 7 inch? That's great!!  :)

Mine is NKL0119, so there are probably at LEAST 48 (and likely a larger number than that).

This one came from the factory in the GOLD ( I remembered it as blue, until I dug it out this morning) Heritage Series box ,with a plain cardboard sleeve, but no cherry wood case or medallion, so it must have been after S&W discontinued those items. I would have thought with a probable number that large, the factory records would reflect them. ??? I can't remember what Roy gets for a factory letter, but it might be worth the effort if they could tell me how many were made in this configuration. My local gunshop has 3 of the blue, engraved ones that he is just sitting on. They have large gold inlaid portraits of Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson (I think they are kinda gaudy looking).
Tom
(maybe I should put it in the safe and not shoot it anymore.......NAH!! ;D)

Yep,nickel 7 inch same packaging as yours.It is my understanding based on what I've read these on the whole didn't sell all that well and they put them in the boxes instead of the wood cases as a cost cutting measure.Most of the little I can find on these indicate that production costs killed these off along with the introduction of the imports on the market about the same time.I've seen one of the nickel guns for sale,it had the factory ivory grips.Don't remember the exact price but was over 3K.I seem to remember the ivory grip option was $500.

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 03:40:12 PM »
Ivory!!!
    I'm a sucker for Ivory. I always thought I would like to put Ivory on this pistol. I didn't care for the factory grips that came with it (too blocky!!). About a 5 years ago I took the factory grips off and made a pair of straight grain dark walnut grips for it. I contoured them closer to the original Schofield grips (a lot thinner and feel MUCH better to my hand). I like them so well, I wouldn't change them out for anything else. The dark walnut contrasts very nicely with the nickel  :) .  I satisfied my lust for Ivory with USFAs and Colts and Stag grips on my later S&W wheelguns !!

I may pop for the factory letter to see if it sheds any light on the production numbers of, what appears to be, a fairly rare pistol. If I find anything out, I will post back here in the Frontier Iron forum.
Tom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com