Author Topic: Problem with Taylor 56/50 hammer and main block  (Read 3743 times)

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Problem with Taylor 56/50 hammer and main block
« on: July 22, 2005, 06:38:39 PM »
The Spencer was mine.  I picked up my brand new, brought in for me, Taylor Spencer on July 21.  I  had it only several hours. I was bringing the hammer down from full cock and it slipped from my thumb.  The hammer struck the main block chipping it above the firing blade. 
The hammer also struck the frame and now has a dent on the uderside and bulge on the left side. Looks like not enough radius on underside of hammer or not enough nose length to reach firing blade.
Then the forearm developed a hairline split were most older guns split a chunck of wood off.

Has any of these problems happened to others?  This is a $1000 gun. I have not even fired it.

Talking to Taylor through this time period.  They are being very helpful with the matter.  Just "waiting" to get it shipped back.

Just curious.....

Black River Smith
Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Problem with Taylor 56/50 hammer and main block
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 03:42:51 PM »
I have to add that the Taylor Armi Sport Spencer is beautiful and everything I had hoped it would be.  Just don't like not having a perfect rifle to shoot.

Black River Smith
Black River Smith

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 12:50:32 PM »
Black River Smith---- I found the cause of the small chip in my breech block that you discovered at the Nationals.
  The hammer screw had a tendency to work loose after a bit of firing, and had enough play on the tumbler to
 allow it to hit the edge of the breechblock beside the firing pin slide.  I cured the situation by taking my
Dremel tool and smoothing the sharp edge of the chip, then contouring the inner edge of the hammer
face to prevent it encountering the block.  Then I put some Loc-tite on the hammer screw.  Problem
went away.  About 15 minutes work.
Hammers on originals were tapered on the hammer nose to prevent this happening.
French Jack

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:16:38 AM »

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 04:40:41 PM »
French Jack,

I have to assume that the same problem might occur with the Taylor .44  Russian Spencer and the .45 Schofield  Spencer.  I appreciate knowing about the quick fix  you used on your Spencer.

Thanks,

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 01:29:03 PM »
Update, after a month the rifle is being shipped back on Monday.  Don't have any indication of repair time frame.  Hope not too long.

I do appreciate all that Taylor has done to work with me and the repairs this for.

Don't anyone think this is a negative post.  It is just one of those situations.  I don't believe a $1000 gun should have any problems or flaws.  I don't mind working or fixing older used guns but not when I pay out that type of money.

Black River Smith
Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 06:02:00 PM »
They (Taylor) made it right....  They replaced the hammer/lock(more space both ways) and new forearm.  The chip appears to have been ground out, the rightside upper block edge profile changed slightly.  The hammer was not bevelled, it is still very square but because of additional spacing it looks like it will work fine.

I thank them very much

Black River Smith
Black River Smith

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 06:18:37 PM »
Hi Black River,

I'm very glad Taylors took care of you at least to your satisfaction!  Who were the contact people you spoke to as it might be useful information to others who may have trouble  with their Spencers in the future?  How long did it take them to get it right after you returned the Spencer?

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 09:02:34 PM »
Sue and the gunsmith Tom.  They were very nice and considerate through the whole process.  It took about a two and a half  weeks to get it to them after some confusions and just two weeks total to repair and then return to me.  If the first delay had not occurred the whole process took only two weeks and 2 days.

Thanks again Taylor for the great service

Black River Smith
Black River Smith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com