Author Topic: Double Barrel Shotguns With Hammers  (Read 27215 times)

Offline USBP1969

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Double Barrel Shotguns With Hammers
« on: March 22, 2011, 11:04:39 PM »
Howdy,

Just wondering who makes S/S doubles with hammers, especially ones that are good solid shooters.

Thanks,
KW
Lose Sight = Lose Fight

Offline USBP1969

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Double Barrel Shotguns With Hammers
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 09:29:59 AM »
Just a note:

I just re-watched the movie "Tom Horn" and noticed some very nice doubles with hammers, both full length and coach length.

KW
Lose Sight = Lose Fight

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 05:01:59 PM »
Hello KW,

Century arms is the importer for Chinese made coach guns.  I bought one in 2003 and it has been reliable.  I had to replace one nut in the forend that pulled through the wood.  Usually available at Dunham's Sporting goods (In Michigan) for $239.99.  Cimarron  carries a very nice double in a 20" and 26" barrel for around $600.00 MSRP.  It is a very good copy of the Colt 1878.  If you are willing or planning to shoot black powder, you can find old hammer doubles at local gun stores and shows.  Most folks will say have a competent gunsmith inspect it before firing.  Any competent gunsmith will advise against it, even if using B/P loads. At any rate,  I bought one for $125.00.  I drilled and tapped it for a bead sight and shimmed it to tighten up the action.   I also installed springs to keep the firing pins recessed when opening and closing.  I am going to shoot it Saturday.  It does have Damascus barrels so it will be light Black powder loads.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:22:14 AM »

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 05:57:17 PM »
I looked at one at Centerfire Systems made in Russia that was a fine gun but they don't have them in stock as now. Another good choice is made by CZ aside from Stoeger and others.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 07:37:12 PM »

Mine is a TTN sxs, 12 ga. it's tank tuff here's a link to to Taylors  http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/cfCoachGun.tpl, I got mine from EMF, mine is all blue which is all you can get now. here is the link for EMF http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1878-Coach-Gun-c134.htm  They had some 26" barrel models but not sure if they have any left.

tEN wOLVES

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline maldito gringo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 05:12:22 AM »
Rossi no longer makes the overland coach gun, but you can find them lightly used for around $450, A very well made and reliable
gun. If you want to go old school, the Stevens 235 ( 1912 - 1932) can be found occasionally for $250 - $350. Robust, to say the least, and nobody will wince if you chop the barrels.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 05:52:49 AM »
I have one of the early TTN's, once I  got the springs changed and went to a bigger bead(needed it for my myopic peepers), it's been a solid performer. the Cimarron, EMF, and Taylors are all TTN's as TTN got out of direct sales a while back. they have some heft to them which helps soak up recoil..........Buck ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Holden A. Grudge

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 05:24:06 PM »
I have a TTN from Cimarron and it is GREAT.  Didn't do a thing to it and it works and shucks shells like a charm.  I am pretty sure it is one of the newer ones that are supposed to have the lighter springs.

Oh I lied....I did file off the danged barbs on the hammers.....only after having them cut the heck out of my hand.

Offline USBP1969

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 05:34:23 PM »
Thanks, I have been looking at them on their web site.

I was interested in the 26 barrel versions as well, but they say that they are no longer available.

They have three different finishes available which vary greatly in price.  The "All-blue" model should be OK.  Don't know what the "USA" finish is though.  Guess I should have asked them.  (Maybe a color case hardened receiver.)

How are the stock dimensions for you?

KW
Lose Sight = Lose Fight

Offline Holden A. Grudge

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 06:01:23 PM »
Mine has the standard blue finish.  I was looking for one in the original finish but they were pretty much gone and the only one I could find was more than I was willing to spend.  Found mine at a sportsman's wharehouse that had just changed hands to whatever they are now and was getting rid of their old cimarron stock that they weren't going to stock any more.

The wood is great.  I have actually gotten compliments on how nice it is.  The thing is sturdy as a tank and the extra weight is great in reducing the recoil.

I am a small framed guy (5'8" and about 150 lbs) and the stock dimensions work out good for me.  Never had a problem getting on target and getting to either trigger. 

The hammers are close enough together to catch them both with my thumb of my right hand (shooting right handed).  I tried palming the hammers but found I am quicker at thumbing them back while my left hand grabs more shells. 

I have seen shooters use their palms fo the left hand and never really lower the shotgun.  I may need to practice that technique a little.

I am not sure what the "USA finish" is either.  The web site doesn't give a very good description.

Offline Fairshake

• Shooter of the HOLY BLACK
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 11:30:24 AM »
I shoot the EMF model 1878 and the USA finish is a hot blue process that gives a deeper bluing. The standard bluing is not that good and will wear quickley but after all it's a cowboy gun. Like every one has posted they are tank strong and the hammers are easy to cock. Walt Johnson who had the TNN company is now at EMF working.
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Offline USBP1969

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 11:54:12 AM »
Thanks much.

I had been teetering between the 1878 and an Ithaca Defense 8 round shotgun.  Then, my grand daughter fell in love with a new S&W Model 351C and the rest is history.

;)
kent

PS - My other grand daughter fell in love with a Model-64 I had set up with a match grade trigger.  Guess where that one is now?
Lose Sight = Lose Fight

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 06:15:31 PM »
"USA Finish" is what Cimarron calls bone meal and charcoal casehardening.  Has nothing to do with the bluing on the barrels.  

Holden, if you like the antique finish you can do it yourself.  I did it to my TTN '78.  Since this pic was taken I have stripped the wood on the shotgun and the '66 and gave them an oil finish :

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 07:05:04 PM »
I bought my SXS from TTn International in 04 I think it was.
Walt Johnson was the man then (he's with EMF now ).
He installed the lighter springs and the larger bead sight as standard equipment ( the OEM springs were also included )

I've been shooting it all this time, not one complaint tank tuff ( but you do want to blunt the deco hammer spurs they Be's sharp )
Today my friend just picked up a Century arms hammer double, not bad for the money spent
not as nice as the TTn but is about $200 less....
We'll see this weekend...I think it will do him fine.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Holden A. Grudge

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 06:34:48 PM »
"USA Finish" is what Cimarron calls bone meal and charcoal casehardening.  Has nothing to do with the bluing on the barrels.  

Holden, if you like the antique finish you can do it yourself.  I did it to my TTN '78.  Since this pic was taken I have stripped the wood on the shotgun and the '66 and gave them an oil finish :

Your antiquing looks GREAT.  I have gotten used to mine the way it is now and pretty much like it.  I may give it a try at some point but right now I am having too much fun shooting it.  And the standard finnish matches the wood really well and I was lucky to find one with really nice wood.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 07:17:22 PM »
I bought my SXS from TTn International in 04 I think it was.
Walt Johnson was the man then (he's with EMF now ).
He installed the lighter springs and the larger bead sight as standard equipment ( the OEM springs were also included )

I've been shooting it all this time, not one complaint tank tuff ( but you do want to blunt the deco hammer spurs they Be's sharp )
Today my friend just picked up a Century arms hammer double, not bad for the money spent
not as nice as the TTn but is about $200 less....
We'll see this weekend...I think it will do him fine.

We used the Century SXS this last weekend not one Hick-up at all.... shot very well ,shucked Double AA's with ease

Air temp hovered at 97 degrees it was HOT
Hammer will get abit of  I think...otherwise for $300 you can't go wrong.
Contact Bryan Buck at 3B Shooting Supply in Texas we've bought two from him ...

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 08:41:21 PM »
Major, Is this the Century as in CAI?  Never seen one of their SxS guns, so I can't comment, but their 1897 is a certified POS nightmare in metal.

The TTN would be my choice in a hammer double.  Strong as a bank vault and good value for the money.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 06:00:09 AM »
can't sat  Grizz....  never saw a CAI

I own a TTn myself..the Century is not as nice as the TTn but solid, as a shooter, about par with Rossi fit & finish wise I'd think.

Offline shrapnel

• There is nothing like the original
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Keeping what made the West safe, alive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 08:40:23 AM »
Real shotguns are not that hard to find. I got this engraved Colt 1878 for $1200.00. For a bit more money than the reproductions, you can get a real historic gun and they work. After a couple years it is even worth more money and the reproductions are worth less. Invest in the future with the past...

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Offline USBP1969

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 09:06:51 AM »
Quite beautiful Shrapnel!

kent
Lose Sight = Lose Fight

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com