Author Topic: Chaparral firearms  (Read 10622 times)

Offline MikeinMinn

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Chaparral firearms
« on: March 17, 2011, 09:20:25 AM »
I am new to Cowboy action shooting.  Currently I have a origanal 97 winchester, a Tarus Thunderbolt, and a Ruger Vaquero.  I am still looking for a nother vaquero and maybe a lever gun.  While looking on gunbroker I came across a copy of a 73 made by Chaparral for alot less than most of the others, $650.00 new.  I went to there web site and I see they offer a full line of cowboy guns for very cheap prices.  I was just wondering if any one has seen or used any thing from Chaparral, or are they not worth it. 

Thanks
MikeinMinn.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Chaparral firearms
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 11:01:33 AM »
They are cheap for a reason.  Once in a while you'll find one that actually works.  Most are just plain junk.  No longer made, no parts available, and aftermarket parts (short strokes, etc.) don't fit.  Pass on it.

Offline Patrick Henry Brown

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 01:37:55 PM »
Mike:

IMHO, if money is a consideration, either look for a used Uberti or buy a Marlin or Rossi 1892 that has been worked on by Nate Kiowa Jones.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:06:59 AM »

Offline Charles B Gatewood

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 07:26:45 AM »
Howdy Mike,
Check out Gun Broker or Guns America. I can't remember which, but you can find the Beretta Renegade for under $800.
This rifle is being discontinued so they are going fast. Even though it's set up with a short stroke a person should still have it
slicked up.

Good Luck!

CBG

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 12:12:39 PM »
I bought a Chaparral '66 in .357 mag last spring and used it as my main match rifle all last shooting season plus plinking around home (rural area).  The only problem I had was it was a little stiff at first but, after 50 or so rounds it smoothed right out.  I use it in place of my Rossi '92 and my Marlin CB both in .38/.357.  Last year I was talking to the shooter next to me at the unloading table and he was using a Chaparral '66 and he said it worked great and was pleased with it.  These Chaparals came from Marstar in Canada which came straight from the factory in Italy already assembled.  The fit and finish was excellent.

Unfortunately, the early ones that were sold in the U.S. did not come straight from the factory but the parts were out sourced to different countries and then assembled in the U.S. subsequently, quality control was missing in this scenerio.  Parts were not up to specs and didn't fit properly etc. 

I have no misgivings about my Chaparral '66.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 361
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 01:09:08 PM »
Are those brass reciever 66's?
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 01:25:41 PM »
The Chaparral '66 is brass-plated steel.

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 10:40:45 AM »

In my experience, the biggest problem with Chaparral was its lack of consistency.  It's true that the bad ones are awful, but I think it's stretching it to say that "once in a while" you find one that works. The good ones are good ones. The problem was that it was impossible to tell the good ones from the others until it was too late.

I have a handful of Uberti toggle rifles and I also own one Chaparral. Parts of my Chaparral are better made than my Ubertis. Parts of my Ubertis are better made than my Chaparral.

So far, the Chaparral, however, has been accurate, attractive, and most importantly reliable. I know other shooters who have had similar luck with their Chaparrals and some who have horror stories to tell. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground. It appears to be totally luck of the draw. There is no shortage of Chaparral "lemons" out there, but there are plenty that "work," too.

Can't say about the short stroke situation. Never had any interest in one. Seemed silly to me to take up a 19th Century-based activity and then use 21st Century technology to radically alter it. Kinda defeats the purpose, in my opinion.

But then, to each their own.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline oilcan72

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 08:54:49 PM »
Hello All,

I just recieved my Chapparal 1866 Kings transitional model, I love it. The fit and finish are good, the action was stiff at first but after about 40 rounds it slicked up nice. Mine is in 45 Colt and is extremely accurate, at 50 yards it is deadly. I can't wait to take it out again soon.

oilcan72

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lars Olsson Photography
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 11:34:35 PM »
The new chaparrals that are sold here in Canada are much better. I have an 1873 in .44-40. It had a few jamming issues. Contacted Marstar (here in Canada), and they sent me a replacement breach bolt. Shoots real good. Very accurate too! Last shoot I was at it was Uberti's that were jamming...

Offline backwoodzboy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 04:10:03 PM »
I was just refinishing the stocks on my Chaparral 1866 in .357 and stumbled across this forum. I like mine so far, and I am looking forward to shooting it more and do a little hunting with it. When I was buying it, it was all boxed up, and I was getting a little ammo for it and a blind guy was wondering around bumped it, and knocked it off the counter. Talk about a sick feeling. My first question is, why was a blind guy buying guns? Whats he shooting at? A whole bunch of funny images go thru my head when I think about it, lol!!!! What a great forum, looking forward to lookin around here more!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com