Author Topic: Dual scratches on a USFA cylinder.  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Buck Duane

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dual scratches on a USFA cylinder.
« on: February 23, 2011, 11:30:54 PM »
I recently acquired a Rodeo II with plans to shoot it, a lot and perhaps tryihg a SASS event. A friend and I were discussing hunting and guns etc. I mentined the Rodeo II, he said great, I've been practicing with some SASS folks so now you can come with me.  He said, if you don't know it, you'll need 2 revolvers, a shotgun and a period lever action.

I found a used USFA 7.5" case, blue with a case option hammer for $850. He others NIB like it for $1050. The used one had dual scratches on the edge of the notches going about 1/2 way to the next notch. This is not a drag line in the center of the notch.

He thinks folks pulled it to 1/2 cock, spun the cylinder and let the hammer down instead of pulling it back to full cock and the bolt slid on the cylinder.

For you folks that have a USFA, does this sound correct? Or does it indicate an issue? The hammer was tie wrapped down, I could not check the action.
Buck Duane
Missouri Desperado.
I did not ride with Jesse nor Tom Horn. However that man did bear resembelance to me. Holder of Amnestey certificate # 5013.

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Dual scratches on a USFA cylinder.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 12:37:34 AM »
Was this a new gun or used?  If used it could be improper working of the action like you described and unless you have timing/indexing issues it may only be cosmetic.  Needless to say it won't get worse if the gun is cycled correctly from this point on.

Offline Buck Duane

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 06:58:16 PM »
Sorry, the Rodeo is new, the 2nd gun I was looking at is used. The 2nd gun has the scratch marks. Just wondered if otheres were seeing this. Thanks.
Buck Duane
Missouri Desperado.
I did not ride with Jesse nor Tom Horn. However that man did bear resembelance to me. Holder of Amnestey certificate # 5013.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:02:52 PM »

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 05:55:38 AM »
None of my USFAs have scratches on them, but then I don't abuse them either.  If you can buy the used Premium model with the stipulation that when you test fire it, something is wrong with it and you can bring it back, then you would be safe buying it IF you can tolerate the scratches.  Otherwise, I would pass.  The $850.00 price is not all that good for a blemished gun like that.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Buck Duane

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 07:36:29 PM »
Thanks DeadeyeDon.

I've already left it behind.

I can buy a new Black Rodeo for hundreds less and not have to deal with a potential problem. Or a new premium is only $150 or so more.

I've owned a Colt SAA and have handled many SAA's and have never seen dual lines before. 
Buck Duane
Missouri Desperado.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com