Author Topic: Albonigas Soup  (Read 13375 times)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Albonigas Soup
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 04:47:55 PM »
I do a cooked salsa an Lil does a fresh one.  Everyone that comes ta call has a preference of which they like better.  We can em both an use em all year.  (Mine is better, but don't tell the missus I said so).
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline mestiza letty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 05:09:55 PM »
I use so much salsa thru the year I'd havta make it by the urns... 16 oz containers lasts me 'bout a week 'ta 10 days by my self. Wish I could figure a way put it jars without changin' the flavor :P
I just hate the thought of usin' preservatives my 'ol granny would be spinnin' like a top ::)
Mum's the word fer the missus :-X
I do a cooked salsa an Lil does a fresh one.  Everyone that comes ta call has a preference of which they like better.  We can em both an use em all year.  (Mine is better, but don't tell the missus I said so).
Don't wear out yer shirt collar lookin' fer the hindsight
~Eddie Adamek~ Trick Roper
NRA, SCORRS, RATS #518

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 05:23:21 PM »
We don't use preservatives, just get a good vacuum on the jars.  Good for about 3 years.  Ingredients are all fresh.  Do the same with apple butter.  Still need the machine to do meats.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:32:11 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 05:46:34 PM »
Just make sure you use canning salt for your salt if yer gonna can it.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline mestiza letty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 06:01:08 PM »
I'll hafta try this...wuz just skeert of the granny's hatchet 'tis all
Thanks so much fer the tips
Just make sure you use canning salt for your salt if yer gonna can it.
We don't use preservatives, just get a good vacuum on the jars.  Good for about 3 years.  Ingredients are all fresh.  Do the same with apple butter.  Still need the machine to do meats.
NRA, SCORRS, RATS #518

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 06:08:06 PM »
I'll hafta try this...wuz just skeert of the granny's hatchet 'tis all
Thanks so much fer the tips

Can it with a water bath canner just like tamaters.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 06:37:27 PM »
Lil don't salt her salsa, neither of us care for it much.  Will remember the special salt though just in case.  Berry preserves work out nice with nothin but Karo syrup an water cooked down.  You can use empty sauce jars if ya don't have Masons or Bell.  When that pop up button on the lid sucks back in you know you are good.  Just boil the jars first.

Roland Deschain

Offline mestiza letty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 06:57:39 PM »
Can it with a water bath canner just like tamaters.
Have done Apple butter & boysenberries this way...will wait fer some decent 'maters this summer.The ones that are "imported" from other states now have NO taste :P
Will start savin' the jars again...had a pile of 'em, then moved and dumped 'em.
Lil don't salt her salsa, neither of us care for it much.  Will remember the special salt though just in case.  Berry preserves work out nice with nothin but Karo syrup an water cooked down.  You can use empty sauce jars if ya don't have Masons or Bell.  When that pop up button on the lid sucks back in you know you are good.  Just boil the jars first.
Thanks guys 'preiciate the tips  ;) ;D
NRA, SCORRS, RATS #518

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 07:01:30 PM »

Canning salt has no iodine in it, the iodine will form a salt with the metal in the lid ferric iosomething,.  non iodized table salt has an anti-clumping agent in it, will casue discolorization.

Iuse hot water with about a 1/2 cup of chlorox in it and then rinse good, kills more microbes than just boiling water.  Might be over kill but there are a few that can survive boiling.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline mestiza letty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 07:09:06 PM »
And would this also apply to the "spice mixture" I use to "sub" it fer the cannin' salt instead?
Canning salt has no iodine in it, the iodine will form a salt with the metal in the lid ferric iosomething,.  non iodized table salt has an anti-clumping agent in it, will casue discolorization.

Iuse hot water with about a 1/2 cup of chlorox in it and then rinse good, kills more microbes than just boiling water.  Might be over kill but there are a few that can survive boiling.
NRA, SCORRS, RATS #518

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 07:13:05 PM »
And would this also apply to the "spice mixture" I use to "sub" it fer the cannin' salt instead?

Ferrous Iodide thats it, used in some types of water treatment to remove suspended particles.

Yep anything to be canned should use canning salt, sometimes called picking salt.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline mestiza letty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 08:12:06 PM »
Got it!! Can "alter the salt" 8)
NRA, SCORRS, RATS #518

Offline Cary Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2012, 04:25:48 PM »
Check this out......Meatball soup........It's as close to "Original Recipe" as I can find...........
Why everyone who is the least bit interested in our historical survival goinz on.Does not have at least 6 of "The Foxfire Books" is beyond me........They are exactly what we wish to know about how our progenators did all kinds of things........Make soap, put up food for a long time. how to do no end of things without modern contrivances......How to survive in the old days, which just may be the new days....... :)...........They cover pickleing to a great extent..........Pickleing no end of stuff............How to put up salt meat in barrels.....It just don't stop, the information from a lost age that is...........Moonshining is covered extensivly..........  ;D ;D

Fox Fire books can be found used on Amazon .com........like $7 bucks apice, and well worth it........
Demonical, you have to have all the Fox Fire books? Yes????

Just goes to show that meatballs from Spain or Italy just ain't all that far apart.................

http://spanishfood.about.com/od/beefrecipes/r/Andalucian-Meatballs-Recipe-Albondigas-A-La-Andaluza.htm
NRA Endowment, Instructor
SASS Lifer
WTUS # 3 The real # 3
AF & AM..........
BP Warthog Gunfighter
FlapJack turner Deluxe

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 05:41:55 PM »
Demonical, you have to have all the Fox Fire books? Yes????

Of course, but they are still packed from the move, workshop first and library later.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
This soup is from some of my hispanic/native american heritage....

4 C beef stock
1lb of ground beef
1/3 C chopped onion
1/2 C chopped or sliced carrots
1/2 flour
1/2 C white rice
1 sm can whole peeled tomatoes
1 tsp of dried mint leaves
I egg
1 tsp of red chili flake
Place large porclain dutch oven soup pot or your favorite pot on with the beef stock.. Old school was an oxtail or neck bone to make a good stock. On this side of the map these "cheap cuts" ain't cheap anymore with the influx of supply & demand...
Knorrs bullion cubes (2) will do it.
Season ground beef with garlic salt & pepper adding in flour, egg, mint leaves and 1/4 C of rice to make your meatballs.
You should get around 20 or so. Simmer meatballs, onion & sqeeze in stewed tomatoes with juice added in for approx. 1/2 hr.
Add in remaining rice, chili flake & carrots and simmer another 1/2 hr to 45 min.
Serve with warm tortillas or crackers...
Personally I like it the next day as the soup is thicker with the rice  ;D

Sounds good but have a couple of questions. First 1/2 flour what is that a 1/2 cup, half pound  or is it used as a binding agent/filler for the meat balls which I assume it is. My other question is in regards to the rice, I assume the rice is precooked? Just want to be sure as it does sound good and would like to try making it.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Cary Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 09:21:11 PM »
As I thought.You haven't expired, as such..........Your simply cranked into the restoration of "Chateau Demonical"......

Nail on BoYo....We're here for your sparrin pleasure......................  ;D
NRA Endowment, Instructor
SASS Lifer
WTUS # 3 The real # 3
AF & AM..........
BP Warthog Gunfighter
FlapJack turner Deluxe

Offline mestiza letty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2012, 09:06:49 AM »
Sounds good but have a couple of questions. First 1/2 flour what is that a 1/2 cup, half pound  or is it used as a binding agent/filler for the meat balls which I assume it is. My other question is in regards to the rice, I assume the rice is precooked? Just want to be sure as it does sound good and would like to try making it.
Sorry Joec...I hadn't realized someone had responded to this :-[
Yes that is 1/2 cup of flour... NO the rice is not pre-cooked..
Good luck!!! I just made some the other day ;D
NRA, SCORRS, RATS #518

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 12:08:44 AM »
Hi,

I guess that is one of the problems of living on the left coast ...

When I want soup, I go to this great tacqueria near my house and get a big bowl of Pozole .... and I don't have to clean up the mess ..... *S*

TTFN

P.S. They have albondigas sopa ... but the Pozole is about $8.00 served ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 10:32:13 AM »
Eureka!   I don't know how I missed this thread before.  Some GREAT tips!  I love it when cooking styles cross breed with other traditions.  Looking at these recipes, and the grand style of thread-hijacking, it has always struck me how flexible and adaptable the traditional recipes are.

My wife is Greek-American (Cyprus) and I am Swedish/Anglo/Canadian, so we blend the Mediteranian and the North temperate traditonal styles.  Lots of Salads, boiled leafy greens, many styles of meat dishes, and more recently - lots of soups and stews (Stoup!)

Lettie's origional posted recipe seems very much like one we have on the go at the moment that started as an ox-Tail soup but ended up with, diced steak (it was too tough to BBQ!) lots of winter veggie, barley, Bulgar wheat and Quinoa.

Me troublin" & I are empty nesters and making a large batch of "whatever" makes sense.  Do all the work on one day and enjoy often later.  We freeze a lot, but sometimes we will just have a container in the fridge and heat up what we need for each meal for a few days.

I am not a great cook, but my wife is.  I guess that is why I stick around! I do a lot of the prep work and clean up. And, I enjoy every thing she cooks ;D ;D
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com