Author Topic: IAC Reproduction Cowboy 1887 12 ga, 20" barrel, Lever action shotgun.  (Read 35890 times)

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: IAC Reproduction Cowboy 1887 12 ga, 20" barrel, Lever action shotgun.
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 06:37:59 AM »
I recently took the plunge and bought one of the Chiappa '87 clones.

It is a much better shotgun than the IAC '87.

Better wood
Better metal finish
Better machining on the internals.
Much smoother action

are you going to do a side by side video and keep us informed?
Mathew 5.9

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 08:37:06 AM »
Hi Lil,

I hadn't planned to ... in fact, this is the only pic I have of my Model '87 in use ....

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 12:27:22 PM »
I recently took the plunge and bought one of the Chiappa '87 clones.

It is a much better shotgun than the IAC '87.

Better wood
Better metal finish
Better machining on the internals.
Much smoother action

Just to keep things in perspective it is also three times the cost of a well-tuned IAC and weighs more.

Advertising

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 12:41:12 PM »
Just to keep things in perspective it is also three times the cost of a well-tuned IAC and weighs more.

I bought my "tuned" IAC from Coyote Cap back in '06.  It cost me around $650 then.  The same gun now days costs almost $1100 (see Cap's web site:  http://www.coyotecap.com/mod__87_wcse2.htm

I've heard rumor that the Chinese supply of these IAC '87s has dried up.  If true, no more Chinese '87's.

I bought the Chiappa "like-new" for under $1000.

I have not put them on scales, but if there is a weight difference, I cannot feel it in my hands.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #C31 SASS #3740 NRA GAF #394 5th Minn. Infry
  • SASS #: 3640
  • NCOWS #: C31
  • GAF #: 934
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
Gents
Curious to know if anyone has tried to refinish the buttstock on the IAC '87s? The finish out of the box is, well, less than pleasing. Is it actually wood or some man made material? I have gotten pretty good at defarbing the wood on Italian 1861 Springfield musket/rifles for Civil War reenacting and wonder if these Chinese versions could made to look a bit better as well.

Harley
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis
"I do not believe in ghosts so I do not burn a candle waiting for them. As to the killing of a bad man, when it comes to a fight, it is the other man or me. And when the deed is done, why bother the mind? Afterall, the killing of a bad man should not bother anymore than the killing of a rat, a vicious cat or an ugly dog" James Butler Hickok when asked if he ever thought about the men he had killed.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 08:47:34 AM »
Hi,

I got mine from Cap Coyote with lasering already done by his son ... and if you like it, he will take your gun and put lasering on it too ...

My point being that I believe my stock and fore-end was wood ... but that was several years ago; things may have changed.

Still, I cannot imagine any builder using wood 'products' to make a stock and fore-end ... sounds like heresy!

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 10:30:07 AM »
Thank you for your insight. Dont want the lazering thing done nor do I want the 2 drop system installed. Local shop has a nearly new IAC 87-1 which (if I am reading all the posted infor correctly) can be a decent functional version of the 1887 although not as good looking as the Chiappa version. If I purchase this particular peice, the wood is rather dark odd colored tone and so, I would defarb the wood. The wood on your peice is nice looking and so, I am now confident that there is a decent look to be had with this shotgun.

If memory serves, some years back a pard of mine had a cheap version of a '92 rifle with an odd substance of buttstock. It was probably some type of wood but of a foreign species that I was not familar with. It was so dense that he couldnt get it refinished worth beans. Cant remember the maker nor importer and truth be told, not even sure if it was a '92. Time dulls the memory it seems.
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis
"I do not believe in ghosts so I do not burn a candle waiting for them. As to the killing of a bad man, when it comes to a fight, it is the other man or me. And when the deed is done, why bother the mind? Afterall, the killing of a bad man should not bother anymore than the killing of a rat, a vicious cat or an ugly dog" James Butler Hickok when asked if he ever thought about the men he had killed.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 11:03:20 AM »
Harleydavis,

Don't know what to tell you  .... mine is a Norinco and is probably an entirely different species of wood ... but since Cap Coyote works on all types of Model 87s, there is a good chance he might have some information on the speicies that you are looking at ...I would give him an email just in case ... his website is:

http://www.coyotecap.com/

Another good source might be the actual company ... they might know the wood that they used for this run of shotguns ... so I would send them most of the serial # and see what they have to say:

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/

NCOWS #3403

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 12:08:41 PM »
I actually live just 40 miles from Cap's shop and can easily stop in I suppose. Since I went into CW reenacting 10yrs ago, I havent talked to him in the interim. Imagine I should just go to the source.
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com