Author Topic: Does it work - or not?  (Read 1895 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Does it work - or not?
« on: February 02, 2011, 06:41:34 PM »
What's the concensus on putting a leather, rubber,/nylon washer under the mainspring screw of a SA revolver? Does it have a positive effect on trigger pull/hammer fall?
From what I've read, some swear by it, others swear at it. Venturino mentions doing it in his book on shooting SAAs.

When grinding a curved spring to reduce thickness, does one grind on the 'inside' or 'outside' of the curve?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Does it work - or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 07:47:20 PM »
"Does it have a positive effect on trigger pull/hammer fall?"  Simple answer is no.  But the complicated answer is it depends on what you mean by "positive effect."  All those things are is a band aid approach to lightening the hammer spring pressure.  They do have that effect, but mainly make the hammer feel mushy.  If you lighten the hammer pull it has the incidental effect of lightening the trigger pull.  The only way to do it right is to put in new aftermarket springs or tune the ones you have.  The way I lighten springs I usually remove the material from the outside of the curve.  Others do it different and many hourglass the spring by taking material off both sides of the spring.  If you aren't familiar with this work just get yourself a Lee Gunslinger or Wolff spring.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com