Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 03, 2015, 02:19:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: Loading Data for the 45/75 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Loading Data for the 45/75  (Read 3545 times)
King Medallion
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2015, 01:30:35 pm »

Thanks for that load in 4320, going to try that now. I don't have Winchester Magnum primers but do have some CCI magnum's, going to try 10 of each.

Fixed the auto prime problem, turns out the hole in the shell holder had to be enlarged. Took the dremel and whittled a bit on the old style auto primer top rim and presto! works like a charm!
QueensHorseman
Citizen

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2015, 06:06:14 pm »

I don't currently have an 1876 so I'm basing the following on my experiences with other calibers but I have had great results in various cartridges using Reloader 15 and Ross Seyfried years ago recommended it as THE powder for use in the big old British nitro express rounds in place of cordite or even the bp express rounds.  Its burning rate is in the area of 4895 and 4350, it is easy to ignite, and has a proven track record in large, low pressure cases.  Might be another good option if not using black.

I'm still sitting on the sidelines debating whether to get a .45-60 or .45-75 in nwmp carbine configuration.  Memories of heavy loads in my Browning '86 src are pushing me towards the .45-60 and it should do nicely for range shooting and deer hunting but then again the .45-75 is the more authentic choice of my red coated fore fathers! 

Thanks for the great forum and information.
Sir Charles deMouton-Black
THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2015, 09:00:29 pm »

Queens Horseman; I have an NWMP carbine in .45-75 and have only fired it with gunpowder. Recoil is not objectionable. and suitable smokeless loads have been worked up by many to approximate BP mv's. My BP load hits right on to 300 yards with the "Spanish Meter" military style sight

IMHO the main reason to get a .45-60 is to use easier to find .45-70 cases to make suitable cases.

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”
yahoody
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2015, 09:20:52 pm »

Quote from: QueensHorseman
I'm still sitting on the sidelines debating whether to get a .45-60 or .45-75 in nwmp carbine configuration.  Memories of heavy loads in my Browning '86 src are pushing me towards the .45-60 and it should do nicely for range shooting and deer hunting but then again the .45-75 is the more authentic choice of my red coated fore fathers! 

I have a 45-75 now.  But I would really like to make up a round barrel, half mag 1876  in 40-60.  Roosevelt's favorite '76 rifle.   Brass would seem easy enough.  The bullets not so much.  Lighter bullets mean less recoil in general.  As does less powder.  And the 300g and 350s in the 45-75 seem to prove that.  But easy to understand why a  40-60 in the 1876 with a short round barrel and button mag would quickly become a favorite rifle. 

But I want to shoot the rifle a lot.  Next one for me will likely be a 45-60 even though I'd really like to have a 40-60 for all the reasons mentioned.  I'll just use 300g .45 bullets because every thing just seems so much easier all around. 

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: Loading Data for the 45/75 « previous next »
Jump to: