Author Topic: What do you think about Colt reissue of the New Frontier for 2011  (Read 7860 times)

Offline River Jordan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
As for me , I would like to have seen a blackpowder frame Cavalry 45 ( much in the same spirit as the FSS of 2008)

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: What do you think about Colt reissue of the New Frontier for 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 09:36:17 PM »
There never was any such thing as a black powder frame Cavalry New Frontier.  Most people wanting adjustable sights wouldn't want a black powder frame.  The Frontier Six Shooter was simply the Single Action Army with old style markings and was more or less a reproduction of an original gun.

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 11:02:47 PM »
I'm pleased that they brought it back.
A work in progress.

Advertising

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 09:51:48 AM »
There never was any such thing as a black powder frame Cavalry New Frontier.  Most people wanting adjustable sights wouldn't want a black powder frame.  The Frontier Six Shooter was simply the Single Action Army with old style markings and was more or less a reproduction of an original gun.
I think you missed his point. He would like Colt to produce a replica of the .45 blackpowder Cavalry gun INSTEAD of re-introducing the New Frontier.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 11:59:09 AM »
That was the point.

As to the reintroduction of the 'New Frontier' - I'll pass, as I never cared for the original production, though they were pretty.

I much prefer the Single Action Army's clean, un-cluttered lines.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 04:05:03 PM »
If they make these as good as they did the first batch, they'll sure be worth owning. Mine is more accurate than any of the Ruger Blackhawks I've ever had.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 09:53:53 PM »
I think you missed his point. He would like Colt to produce a replica of the .45 blackpowder Cavalry gun INSTEAD of re-introducing the New Frontier.

Odd phraseology especially based on the title.  At any rate, if that is what he wants, then it is already available.  You can order a 7 1/2" barrel, black powder frame, with walnut grips right now.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 01:42:29 AM »
Read what may be bad news on the Colt Forum on the web that Colt is dropping the BP frame option for the SAA. I have yet to verify it.  ???

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 04:53:21 PM »
Read what may be bad news on the Colt Forum on the web that Colt is dropping the BP frame option for the SAA. I have yet to verify it.  ???

Seems like every time they drop some variation of the SAA it comes back a few years later.  Sort of like Disney recycling old movies every five years when a new crop of squirts arrives.  "Buy now or its going back into the Disney vaults!"  The SAA I have always lusted for is the screw-less frame model.  They made a batch 30 or so years ago and used the frames up over the years and it looks like they really might not make more of those.  Never came close to having the money to buy one.

Offline River Jordan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 06:14:21 PM »
Odd phraseology especially based on the title.  At any rate, if that is what he wants, then it is already available.  You can order a 7 1/2" barrel, black powder frame, with walnut grips right now.

Yes that is true but the 2008 FSS went above and beyond as it was a semi production model with a beveled cylinder, etched  barrel markings, "44" under the barrel in addition to the bpf.

What I should have said is " I really wish Colt would make a circa 1873 SAA as accurately as currently possible much in the same spirit as the 2008 replica of the 1888 FSS" ( or something to this effect)

Offline rep1954

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 05:38:23 PM »
I agree that there is nothing better in the hand and holster than a SAA and I love all of mine but when it comes to needing adjustable sights for any reason the New Frontier takes the cake. I have a 3rd. gen. that whoever built it must of been planing to take it home for thierself. If the quality on the new guns is up to snuff with the current SAA production I will certainly be picking up a 4 3/4" 44Spl. No other adjustable sight single action even compares to the handling and feel of the New Frontier. I think if Colt makes the right caliber and barrel choices it will be a good thing. I dont think Colt is planing on taking the world by a storm with the reintroduction.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 09:53:33 PM »
Yes that is true but the 2008 FSS went above and beyond as it was a semi production model with a beveled cylinder...

The bevel is incorrect as Colt makes it for that time period. I had mine redone & refinished as well as stamped with ".44 cal" on the rear of left TG flat.

Offline COLT_45_SAA

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 11:01:26 AM »
Read what may be bad news on the Colt Forum on the web that Colt is dropping the BP frame option for the SAA. I have yet to verify it.  ???

Wow-Didin't know that.....is there a link to the thread somewhere ?

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
How much is Colt stock running now. If we all chip in maybe we can contol enough that they'll make what we want.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com