Author Topic: .45 Colt and Bullseye Powder  (Read 46407 times)

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: .45 Colt and Bullseye Powder
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
I have used Unique in my .45 Colt, .44WCF & .38 Spec laods for years. Always been good. Now then, since all the silliness has taken hold in the firearms world, I cannot find a grain of Unique for sale. I have a couple pounds but will need more eventually so I thought I would start early. I am told that Unique is what is used in shoulder fired missles (maybe true, maybe not) and that is why it is so difficult to come by. Anway, what has anyone found to perform similar to Unique? I see a lot of mention of Red Dot, Clays & Trail Boss. Anyone have experience with HP-38 in CAS?
Thank you.

Universal Clays is very close to fps as Unique however it is a lot cleaner. I have used both in 45 Colt as well as Trailboss, Clays and HP-38. For cowboy action stuff I like the Trailboss the best however they others work as well. The Clays and Universal are the cleanest though.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #C31 SASS #3740 NRA GAF #394 5th Minn. Infry
  • SASS #: 3640
  • NCOWS #: C31
  • GAF #: 934
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2013, 09:08:38 PM »
Universal Clays is very close to fps as Unique however it is a lot cleaner. I have used both in 45 Colt as well as Trailboss, Clays and HP-38. For cowboy action stuff I like the Trailboss the best however they others work as well. The Clays and Universal are the cleanest though.
.45 Colt in both rifle & pistol? Unique has always worked good in both, I would assume Clays & Trailboss would be similar then. I dont mind some cleaning, I have been primarily BP shooter in the past.
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis
"I do not believe in ghosts so I do not burn a candle waiting for them. As to the killing of a bad man, when it comes to a fight, it is the other man or me. And when the deed is done, why bother the mind? Afterall, the killing of a bad man should not bother anymore than the killing of a rat, a vicious cat or an ugly dog" James Butler Hickok when asked if he ever thought about the men he had killed.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2013, 07:15:36 PM »
Just FYI, when the Army was making up its first smokeless loads for the .45 colt rounds being sent to the phillipines at the turn of the century (1899/1900) the load was 6 grains of then Hercules Bullseye under a 250 grain RNFP  (Lyman 454190)  Though not a regular Bullseye user I have shot this load, and consider it a fine, historical loading of the old .45.

The S&W (Schofield) case is also useful in making up smokeless loads, and should be mentioned.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 01:16:47 AM »

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2013, 05:17:58 PM »
I've been using Bullseye in 45LC, Scholield and 45ACP no problemo.
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2013, 11:25:12 AM »
Ref Harleydavis: Red Dot is a good burning powder for 45 Colt; also have used TrailBoss alot and like it. Ref Hodgon HP38, from what I've read it is a kissin cousin to Win 231 (some say the same powder, marketed under two different names and containers-Hodgon bought the rights to Win powder some time ago). I bought a pound HP38 last fall, but haven't used it yet. Loaded and shot alot of Win 231 in 45 Colt, mainly due to having alot left over from by 38 Spec Police Combat/PPC loading times. It works fine, but I like using some of the other powders due to the fact they use up more of the large 45 Colt case. Never heard what you said about Unique (interesting), here in North Iowa I've seen it alot on shelves recently during the 'so-called ammo and componant drought', even as late as last Sat (March 9). The last time I bought Unique, around the 1st of Feb, I paid approx $17 for a lb of the stuff. It's a 'goody', use it alot in 357 Mag, 45 Colt, 44 Spec, and even in some moderate cast lead rifle loadings in WW2 bolt action rifles, use Red Dot for the same WW2 rifles.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Slickshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2013, 02:46:38 AM »
I think the ideal load for a 250/255 Grain Lead bullet for .45 Colt with Unique gun powder is 7.3 Grains.

Hope this helps,

Slickshot

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2013, 05:15:23 PM »
On a historical note.  Bullseye was used by the US Army in their M1909 .45 Cases (.45 Colt with a larger diameter rim), but were afraid of double charging those cases.  Their answer to this delema was to formulate a new bulkier smokeless powder the Army named RSQ, (Rescue?).  Anyhow, if that's all you have, then be careful when you are loading it and pay attention to the ammount of powder you put in those cases.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline pakm

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2013, 08:42:42 PM »
one of the reasons I like trail boss is I shoot most of the cowboy runs(rifles and pistols.) in 32-20, 38-40, 44-40, 44 special, 45 colt and /45 schofield  6 gr.s of TB works in every case, but the 32-20, (it's like a .38 special) and they take 4 gr.s of TB, I tried red dot and it didn't work for me. I don't use bulleye because there's a chance to get a double charge and you couild get hurt. but the above loads work just fine in the rifles also., Henry's transistional Henry, 66's, 73's and pedersoli pump rifles in .44-40 and .45 LC, but it is kinda dirty. I had to break down the henry to clean it after about 500 rounds. but there's nothing wrong with Unique, WW231, any of the clays powders. I shoot AA #9 in my .308 caliber rifles including the .303, 8mm mauser and the hungrian styer 19 to 21 gr's are just right in these rifles. Why AA number 9?? just like you said about the bulleye, I've got a bunch of it. it works real well in Rossi lever action rifle at 19-21 gr.s of of #9 with a 250 gr bullet for the old lever action rifles. (model 92's and 94's.)
 Pat

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2013, 07:39:59 AM »
.45 Colt in both rifle & pistol? Unique has always worked good in both, I would assume Clays & Trailboss would be similar then. I dont mind some cleaning, I have been primarily BP shooter in the past.

Clays or Universal are nothing like Trailboss really. Besides being very clean they don't fill the case like Trialboss. Unique is also good but HP-38 is excellent also.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2013, 09:38:04 AM »
Just MHO, but Hodgdon made a HUGE mistake in the NAMING of the Clays series of powders! Therefore, I use ONLY the front name, i.e., "Clays", "Universal" and "International". This avoids confusion which could prove disasterous. Hodgdon's powders are similar though not completely equal (ALWAYS FOLLOW THE MANUALS PUBLISHED BY THE "MANUFACTURERS"...Hodgdon's powders in this series are actually made in Australia) to ATK (nee Alliant, nee Hercules) powders. In other words Clays ~ Bullseye; Universal ~ Unique; International ~ I'm not sure...never used International.  As I said, however, follow the manuals!

I would definitely AVOID reduced loads of Unique or Universal in large-capacity cases like .45 LC, .44-40, etc.  Trailboss was developed to more fully fill these cases, though it has apparently proved to be somewhat temperature sensitive, and I would NOT use the lightest listed loads with bullets lighter than 230 grains in .45 LC.

BTW, HP38 is identical to W231, although AS WITH ANY POWDER, there can be lot-to-lot variations that should be checked when you buy a new container with a different lot number than another. Incidentally, in the past, I have found Universal to be VERY UNIFORM lot-to-lot.

[I cannot be responsible for the use of the above information in guns other than my own, and maybe not then! Usual disclainer.]
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2014, 03:13:40 PM »
I am wondering if RSQ is either Herco or Unique, perhaps something inbetween?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com