Author Topic: Cogburn's revolver in 'True Grit'  (Read 3393 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cogburn's revolver in 'True Grit'
« on: January 26, 2011, 05:36:38 PM »
On pages 169/170 of the current paper back version of 'True Grit',  Mattie comments:

"He got out his sack of cartridges and reloaded the pistol. Rooster swung the cylinder back in his revolver and said  ...... "

This was during the shooting contest between Cogburn and LaBoeuf when they were aerial shooting 'corn dodgers'.

Granted that Mattie was unfamiliar with handguns other than her father's Colt Dragoon, but this implies that perhaps Cogburn was shooting a Colt 1878 DA.
It is possible that Mattie could have thought the act of closing the loading gate was 'closing the cylinder', but ......
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Cogburn's revolver in 'True Grit'
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 10:02:27 PM »
While the author got many of the terms and names right, the actual gun knowledge is not very good, like a lot of novels of that era.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline FriscoCounty

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 83712
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 04:40:43 PM »
Colt's first 'swing out' revolver was the M1889.  The story takes place during the winter of 1873.  The most likely revolvers to qualify would be a S&W #2 or #3.
NRA Life Benefactor, CRPA Life, SASS Life 83712, RO I, Hiram Ranger 48, Coyote Valley Sharpshooters, Coyote Valley Cowboys, SASS TG

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:07:22 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com