Author Topic: Bullet Alloys for Black Powder  (Read 29522 times)

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bullet Alloys for Black Powder
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 07:38:24 AM »
Jack, in my neck of the woods, those bullets gets one 10 years and with good behavior, release after 7
And remember, in the dark with the yellow stuff running down your leg - low probability of hitting a man size target in the vitals using centerfires of ANY KIND.
Might want to consider a 12 ga with 00 buck shot that does a 30 inch pattern
OK, back to the main topic of the thread  ;)
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 04:04:39 PM »
Jack, in my neck of the woods, those bullets gets one 10 years and with good behavior,

Thats why I live in Georgia! Perfectly legal!

Ok, back on track. I melted some wheel weights last night and cast about 75 nice 454190s. I only have two molds (the other is the 44 Mac Ducth 4 cavity) and a third on the way...sort of....when its finished its the 427098 group buy  ;D
Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 04:24:19 PM »
Mako: I mix my alloy so that it measure 9-10 on my hardness scale, and I try for about 1% tin. Some molds are fussier than others so maybe more tin  then but not to often, why waste it if fill-out is good? Except for when I am doing hollowpoints, then more tin. Helps keep the bullet from breaking up too much.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:11:14 AM »

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 05:42:10 PM »
Mako: I mix my alloy so that it measure 9-10 on my hardness scale, and I try for about 1% tin. Some molds are fussier than others so maybe more tin  then but not to often, why waste it if fill-out is good? Except for when I am doing hollowpoints, then more tin. Helps keep the bullet from breaking up too much.

Springfield, is that how you get a mold to drop a certain diameter? Right now I am strictly WW and am dropping a 452 out of a 454190 mold. Some times it might get down to 451. Weight seems ok at 254 but many fall at 252-253. I am getting there!

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 06:01:34 PM »
When you cast your own bullets for black powder shooting, which alloy and hardness do you use.

For my Henry 44-40 and my Sharps 45-70, i use a 20:1.
 ;)

The softest I can get to cast well with the mold in use.  Generally somewhere between 1 lead to 4 WW and 50/50 Pb/WW
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 09:55:59 PM »
I never adjust alloy to make up for moulds that drop the wrong size, I just don't have time for that. One of the reasons I have had some of my own moulds made, and I have them made large, always easier to size down than size up!
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 10:08:09 PM »
You can change the final diameter by changing the temperature of the melt.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 11:00:16 PM »
You can change the final diameter by changing the temperature of the melt.

Wow...Talking about trying to teach your grandmother to suck eggs.
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 11:08:42 PM »
Wow...Talking about trying to teach your grandmother to suck eggs.

???

Offline Mako

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 11:40:38 PM »
???

Well aren't you trying to instruct Mark in the ways of bullet casting?  It's possible he may have cast more bullets than all of us put together.

~Mako

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2011, 11:43:57 PM »
 Uhhh no wasn't doing that. Altho Savvy Jack may of been interted in an answer as to why he had such wild swings.
 Besides, I'ld be curious to know how the sam hell you have any idea about how many bullets I've cast over the last 40 years, when I'm betting you don't know how many pounds of alloy I ran yesterday afternoon. ???

Offline Mako

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2011, 11:52:40 PM »
Ranch 13

If you didn't see Springfield's post or didn't realize it directly followed his I apologize.  It looks like you are telling him he can control his sizes by temperature instead of him buying custom sized molds.  

Regards,
Mako

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2011, 06:06:14 AM »
Actually I was expecting John Boy to answer to something similar  ;D  I have cast only about 500 bullets.....I am shocked they came out as good as they did! Only kept about 300 of them.

Here are a few, I kept the one with lube on it.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 08:17:23 AM »
Jack all in all those bullets don't look bad. The bullet on the far right is obviously frosted, keep in mind the longer the lead is melted and the lower the level in the pot the hotter the alloy will get.
 It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks like you might have some inclusions in the melt, a bit more skimming and fluxing might help.
 Keep your cadence at a pace that the mould blocks don't get to hot,slow and steady will produce more good bullets than fast and irratic.

The #1 best thing you can do to even up your bullets is to get one of the locking mould handles from Cabine Tree products, either order direct or get from Buffalo Arms.

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2011, 04:08:49 PM »
Jack all in all those bullets don't look bad. The bullet on the far right is obviously frosted, keep in mind the longer the lead is melted and the lower the level in the pot the hotter the alloy will get.
 It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks like you might have some inclusions in the melt, a bit more skimming and fluxing might help.
 Keep your cadence at a pace that the mould blocks don't get to hot,slow and steady will produce more good bullets than fast and irratic.

The #1 best thing you can do to even up your bullets is to get one of the locking mould handles from Cabine Tree products, either order direct or get from Buffalo Arms.

Thanks for the positive reply!
Yeap, you guessed it. From left to right is in order of heat. Using the Lee Pro V bottom drop, without having a thermometer yet, heat setting of 6.5 is great. Allowing for melt use/adding and getting use to the Lyman 2 cavity mold vs Lee 6 cavity mold. With the 6 cavity mold I usually only use up to three cavities. I did notice I have to hold the lyman mold closed really good while the lee mold (44 Mav Dutch mold) locks pretty good. I'm not use to the fluxing yet. I am simply using some oak wood shavings. Some lead that I use is melted bullets made from wheel weights. Some bullets I did not want to use. I still have a tremendous amount to learn but I am happy so far with no frustrations to amount to anything.....yet.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2011, 04:56:38 PM »
Thermometers really aren't necessary.
If that pot you're using is the big 20lb thing you'll play holy ned getting consistant bullets out of it using the bottome pour, to much pressure from the weight of the melt, and the spout isn't all that controllable.Works good for ladle casting tho.
 The little 10 lb pots will bottom pour very consistant bullets once you get it figured out how the cavities want the lead dumped into them.

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2011, 06:06:53 PM »
It is the 20lb but I only use half. Adjusting the pour has been a pain. I finally gave up and just use half the pot, throw in a ingot ever so often. Seems to work fine once I get on a roll!

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2011, 06:15:12 PM »
Yeh I can't get the dang thing to bottom pour worth a flip, so I just use it for ladle pouring.
 My old production pot will bottom pour as uniform as ladle casting, especially with the locking mould handle.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2011, 08:28:39 PM »
I love my bottom pour pot. I keep a pair of vise grips with a small finishing nail (1" long brad) clamped in the jaws. Whenever the pour spout gets clogged or begins to dribble I shove the nail up into the spout with one hand while holding the spout open with the other hand. A couple probes and the debris is pushed out of the way and the pot is peeing lead like a racehorse. The vise grips keep a good hold on the small nail and keeps the heat away from my hands. I spill a few drops but that is what the aluminum sheeting under the pot is for.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2011, 07:40:57 AM »
I love my bottom pour pot. I keep a pair of vise grips with a small finishing nail (1" long brad) clamped in the jaws. Whenever the pour spout gets clogged or begins to dribble I shove the nail up into the spout with one hand while holding the spout open with the other hand. A couple probes and the debris is pushed out of the way and the pot is peeing lead like a racehorse. The vise grips keep a good hold on the small nail and keeps the heat away from my hands. I spill a few drops but that is what the aluminum sheeting under the pot is for.

I use that same tool, but I also keep a Lee ingot mold under the spout to catch any drips or spills, makes it easy to dump back in the pot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com