Author Topic: Cimarron or Uberti ?  (Read 44147 times)

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cimarron or Uberti ?
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 10:09:30 PM »
I just found out today that Cimarron are going to Pietti. Not sure when or how the change is to take place but that is the word and it came from a reliable source. Anybody else heard this?
Define "a reliable source"  :o ;)

Jefro :)
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 12:33:39 AM »
I just found out today that Cimarron are going to Pietti. Not sure when or how the change is to take place but that is the word and it came from a reliable source. Anybody else heard this?

Cimarron is adding a selection of Pietta sixguns, calling it their Frontier line.  They cost less than the Ubertis.  I would say they are similar to GWII's.  Their movie guns (Wyatt Earp, Holy Smoker, MWNN SAA, etc) except for the MWNN conversion will also be made with the Pietta as the base gun.  They are still carrying the Ubertis.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 06:01:09 AM »
There you go.  It would seem Cliff's information was half right.   ;)
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:44:31 AM »

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 10:27:11 AM »
Cimarron is adding a selection of Pietta sixguns, calling it their Frontier line.  They cost less than the Ubertis.  I would say they are similar to GWII's.  Their movie guns (Wyatt Earp, Holy Smoker, MWNN SAA, etc) except for the MWNN conversion will also be made with the Pietta as the base gun.  They are still carrying the Ubertis.
Ok, that makes a little more sense :) Thanks Abiline, we know you are a reliable source. :) Good move for Cimarron, just like Taylors has a complete line of both Uberti and Pietta C&B, as well as the Handlebar Doc New Vaquero & New Model Blackhawk. The GWII's are more in line with Cimarron Model P, and just as nice, I've owned both. The Frontier line will most likely be the same thing as the EMF Dakota II, very simular to the Uberti Hombre, Pistolero, Mellinium, the same as thier standard model with matte black finish, brass backstrap and trigger guard. I would think the movie guns would use the GW II as the base, the same as Cimarron uses the Model P. Now if only Pietta would come out with a Winchester 1873 to help drive the cost down, that would be nice. ;D
Dakota II

Jefro :)

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 09:49:12 PM »
That Pietta with the matte black finish and unpolished gripframe is being called the Big Iron by Cimarron (you know how they love catchy names  :D )  The rest of the line are the blue/cc and polished stainless models. 

Offline LoneRider

• Top Active Citizen
  • Silver Screen Hero
    • LoneRider Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 02:07:02 AM »
Get a pair of Rugers and never look back!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Happy Trails

Offline rbgfishboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 11:44:33 AM »
Hey folks, I've been reading the various comments and now I have a question. I just picked up a used (bought new and then traded with no evidence of firing) Uberti El Patron, and while this thing is a beauty, I expected the action to feel a little more "crisp" than it does. When I cock the hammer, the four clicks aren't very distinct. Now I'm really happy with this gun and probably won't pay someone for an action job, but is there a way I can smooth it up? Can I polish some of the internals with metal polish and a Dremmel tool (or some other polishing method), or would I potentially make it worse or even cause it not work properly? Again, I like the gun as is, but I'd love to hear those four clicks a little better. I'm just curious what some of you think on this.

Also, I plan to contact Uberti and ask the question if I would have warranty on this gun, which I suspect they will say no. If that is the answer, I'd like to do away with Uberti's "safeties". Is that a big deal to do?

Thanks! This forum is great and all of you sure provide a lot of useful info!

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 10:35:35 PM »
First try a slightly stronger main spring. If that doesn't help could be that the clicks were 'slicked' out of the gun.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 10:58:45 PM »
Now I'm really happy with this gun and probably won't pay someone for an action job, but is there a way I can smooth it up? Can I polish some of the internals with metal polish and a Dremmel tool (or some other polishing method), or would I potentially make it worse or even cause it not work properly?
Howdy, if yer really happy with it, the timing is right and it locks up tight.......shoot it. If you have never worked on one then I suggest a gunsmith, very easy to make it worse, plus folks with Dremmel tools are a gunsmiths best customers. Smoothing up machine tool marks with a finish stone is ok, DJ can explain that better than I can. Adding a set of Lee Gunslinger springs is something you can do yerself if you follow the directions. When in doubt see a gunsmith, well worth it, Good Luck :)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy

Offline rbgfishboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 07:38:16 PM »
Great advice. I think I'll just leave it alone for now. Thanks!

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2011, 10:37:52 PM »
Depends on what was done to your gun as to why the four clicks are "soft."  Changing the mainspring will do very little as it doesn't have that much to do with the clicks.  The clicks are caused by the trigger/bolt spring.  The first thing to check is if it has a wire spring instead of a flat spring.  The wire springs will give soft clicks.  On a well tuned gun the clicks won't be as loud or firm as an out of the box gun.  That's partially what you are paying for.  It it is properly timed and everything is working properly shoot it and have fun.  If you have to ask how to tune it and think a Dremel will do the job, prepare to send the gun out to have it re-tuned and re-timed.  If you take it apart and find the wire spring, simply replace it and that should put the snap back in the action.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2011, 06:19:59 AM »
My Smokewagon doesn't have the loud clicks, but it is the tuned up deluxe model.  It is by far the smoothest single action I have.  I consider it to be my stealth gun.   ;D
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline rbgfishboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2011, 06:51:32 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! I found a local gunsmith who specializes in single actions and le ;D ;Dver guns and paid him $75 for an action job. Now this thing is as slick as hot butter, and the clicks are quieter but I don't care. He laughed when I told him that the El Patron was Uberti's "slicked up" gun. He said it had the heaviest trigger spring he had seen. Anyway, it was great before he worked on it, but now it's perfect!

Offline jabberwock

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2015, 02:41:34 AM »
Howdy

That is a myth. Some years ago Cimarron was making statements in their advertising that their guns were better. Apparently a lot of folks believed it. I can tell you that I had a Cimarron Cattleman a number of years ago that had the wost trigger pull of any revolver I have ever owned. Inside it was full of burrs. On top of that, the front sight was tilted to one side. Some superior quality! I finally got rid of it. I have another Cimarron Cattleman that is better, but there was a void in the hammer casting right near the cam. I had to do a lot of smoothing to get the bolt leg to ride over the cam properly.

I have been inside enough Uberti made guns to tell you that ALL of them, including those sold by Cimarron, have plenty of burrs and rough machined surfaces inside. Uberti rushes their machining in order to pump out as many parts as possible to keep up with demand. They push their CNC machines too fast so that there are rough surfaces and burrs on the finished parts then they slap them together with a bare minimum of fitting. The springs are stronger than needed because of all the friction inside that has to be overcome with the burrs and rough finish. I repeat, this is the same inside ALL Uberti guns, including those sold by Cimarron. If you get one with nicer wood, or a smoother action from somebody, it is dumb luck.

When you pay a smith to do an action job on an Uberti made gun, you are paying him to correct those conditions that Uberti left in the gun. But Uberti does not have a custom shop in operation for any of its distributors, they box them up and ship them as fast as they can.

I had an interesting conversation with the gunsmith at Taylors a few years ago. Yes, Taylors does employ a smith. He told me he unwraps every gun and checks it for function. The really bad ones he does a little bit of work on to bring them up to snuff. Otherwise, they go right into stock.

YES I AGREE WITH DRIFTWOOD JOHNSON! I PURCHASED A CIMARRON THUNDERER AND THE ACTION IS NOT SMOOTH AT ALL BUT GRITTY. AFTER PULLING THE HAMMER FOR A FEW MINUTES I COULD FEEL MY THUMB TIP "BUZZED" FROM THE VIBRATION OF THE METAL GRINDING.  I FELT SO CHEATED 'COS I HAD THE IMPRESSION THAT ALL CIMARRONS HAD SMOOTH ACTIONS. THEY HAVE A REPUTATION FOR THAT BUT IT IS NOT TRUE ALWAYS. I GUESS I GOT UNLUCKY. SO I HAD TO SPEND MORE MONEY TO HAVE A GUNSMITH DO AN ACTION JOB. I WAS EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com