Author Topic: Iver Johnson Revolver  (Read 39544 times)

Offline Slowhand

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Iver Johnson Revolver
« on: January 09, 2011, 11:48:51 AM »

I just added an Iver Johnson Safety Automatic to my collection.. I bought it as an antique made prior to 1899. 

From my research I figure she is a second model, smokeless black powder. With  a double top post barrel latch, flat leaf hammer spring and two cross pins in the lower frame, cylinder "free-wheeling" when at rest, plus the Owl is looking towards the muzzle end of the barrel.

Barrel length:  3 inches. 5 rounds cylinder capacity, Frame length: small frame 4 3/26 inches. The cylinder measures out at 0.93 of an inch and the chambers are 0.3350 inch in width. So it’s a .32 caliber.

The address on the barrel reads:

IVER JOHNSON’S ARMS & CYCLE WORKS. FITZBURG MASS USA
PATD APR 6 80 FEB15 87 MAY 10 87 DEC 20 93 PAT’S PENDING

There are two sets of numbers on this gun.

Underneath the grip on the left side is the number 37.  There are no serial number prefix letters or other numbers there.

On the back of the top break barrel, underneath the base pin is the number 47.

The previous owner said that he shot it about once a month. I don’t plan on that. It has been in a plastic bag since Friday soaking to get cleaned up.

I’m of course looking for more information. Such as a parts listing, a schematic regarding disassembly. There’s of course no Owner’s Manual or PDF file available for these Old Gals. So I’m winging it here.

Not a top of the line piece but like several of my other recent additions Iver Johnson revolvers have a place in American History worthy of note.

I don't carry a weapon looking for trouble. I carry one in case Trouble finds me.

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Iver Johnson Revolver
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 12:22:42 PM »
"I figure she is a second model, smokeless black powder. With  a double top post barrel latch..."

I haven't done in research on Iver Johson revolvers, but I didn't think your description matched the picture. The picture looks like it has one top post for the latch.  Here is a picture of mine with a two post latch.  It doesn't have the pat. dates either.

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 01:07:05 PM »
Nice li'l pocket pistol there Pard!

Looks allot like my Harrington & Richardson 32 S&W Long (cylinder length is 1.234").  I also have a 2nd generation S&W 32 Lemon Squeezer that shoots 32 S&W loads that the cylinder length is .924" and the cylinder bore is .340" in both.  The OD of the brass rounds are .333" for my 32 S&W and 32 S&W Long rounds loaded up with Powder and Lead!

Hope this helps for what it's worth.

Yeti76620
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:10:45 AM »

Offline Christopher Carson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 02:13:07 PM »

I just added an Iver Johnson Safety Automatic to my collection.. I bought it as an antique made prior to 1899. 

I’m of course looking for more information. Such as a parts listing, a schematic regarding disassembly. There’s of course no Owner’s Manual or PDF file available for these Old Gals. So I’m winging it here.

I think Numrich/Gun Parts Corp has a schematic on line.  And maybe some miscellaneous parts...

-Chris
- Christopher Carson, SASS #5676L
A Ghostrider... Captain and Chief Engineer of the coaster "Ranger"; previously scout for the Signal Corps, Army of the Potomac, range detective...

Offline Slowhand

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 03:04:59 PM »
"I figure she is a second model, smokeless black powder. With  a double top post barrel latch..."

I haven't done in research on Iver Johson revolvers, but I didn't think your description matched the picture. The picture looks like it has one top post for the latch.  Here is a picture of mine with a two post latch.  It doesn't have the pat. dates either.

Interesting bit of information. I'm still digging on this one. The single post was in the first model and the 2 variations that followed. The second variation of the 1st Model was when they started adding the letter prefix. So that would make her either an 1894 or 1895 issue. It also clarifies what a two post latch looks like.

I've got a few other things on the table right now. So any information and comments are appreciated.

I don't carry a weapon looking for trouble. I carry one in case Trouble finds me.

Offline Slowhand

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
I think Numrich/Gun Parts Corp has a schematic on line.  And maybe some miscellaneous parts...

-Chris

Chris thanks for the link.

Bill

Offline Slowhand

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 03:07:35 PM »
Nice li'l pocket pistol there Pard!

Looks allot like my Harrington & Richardson 32 S&W Long (cylinder length is 1.234").  I also have a 2nd generation S&W 32 Lemon Squeezer that shoots 32 S&W loads that the cylinder length is .924" and the cylinder bore is .340" in both.  The OD of the brass rounds are .333" for my 32 S&W and 32 S&W Long rounds loaded up with Powder and Lead!

Hope this helps for what it's worth.

Yeti76620

Yeti76620

Thanks for the information. Every little bit helps and is appreciated.

Bill

Offline Slowhand

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 04:23:15 PM »

Just got a response from W. E. Goforth on another forum. He says she is a first model made in 1894. That helps out.

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 06:14:23 AM »
i CCW one of those johnsons in 38 S&W cal nice little gun
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 06:50:13 AM »
I'm curious about your cleaning method. What are you soaking them in in that plastic bag? Is the reason for putting them in plastic because it evaporates, or just for keeping the mess to a minimum?

I had both an I & J and a H & R in .38s&w, but the I & J was called to the ministry.

Both shot well enough for my eyes. Working up a BP load for it now, and for a  Bulldog in same caliber.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 06:55:02 AM »
Just got a response from W. E. Goforth on another forum. He says she is a first model made in 1894. That helps out.

Where's Billl hangin' out these days?  I just got a 3rd model inbound, haven't seen it yet... but thought I'd update him with serial number info if he doesn't have this one accounted for already...

-Chris
A Ghostrider... Captain and Chief Engineer of the coaster "Ranger"; previously scout for the Signal Corps, Army of the Potomac, range detective...

Offline Slowhand

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 08:39:18 AM »
Where's Billl hangin' out these days?  I just got a 3rd model inbound, haven't seen it yet... but thought I'd update him with serial number info if he doesn't have this one accounted for already...

-Chris

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=85603

I bumped into him up there.

Slowhand

Offline Slowhand

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 08:59:15 AM »

They are in the plastic bags to prevent evaporation. I use the bags to separate parts and keep track of those grips and other bits and pieces that I don't want to lose.  I took a  Plastic Kitty Litter Container and cut the top off. I slap them all in there and store them away in between cleaning sessions.

I have a 5 gallon Bucket that I use for cleaning on the range. I spray the the cylinders and barrels down, slap them in plastic and haul them home in the bucket until I can get around to cleaning them. I stoled the idea from a guy up in North Dakota back in 83. He let me shoot a replica Colt Walker. The black stuff got up under my finger nails and layed dormant until last year when I got the urge to really get into black powder shooting. I got the collection thing going and it's been nothing but fun. 

I'm filling in the gaps from 1865 to 1960 in my collection. The question is which am I going to run out of first. Money or Safe Room?

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 10:41:28 AM »

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 03:11:51 PM »
From my research I figure she is a second model, smokeless black powder.

Howdy

Not quite sure what you mean by smokeless black powder, but your IJ is definitely a Black Powder version.

There are three ways to tell the Smokeless models from the Black Powder models. On the Black Powder models, the little owl on the grips faces toward the cylinder as he does on yours. Black Powder model Iver Johnsons had a flat spring for the hammer, and the Black Powder models had cylinder stop groves that were simply triangular in shape. The bolt only engaged one side, the hand held the cylinder from turning back.

Here is a photo of my IJ Safety Hammerless, a Smokeless model. The owl is facing away from the cylinder, underneath the grips there is a coil spring that powers the hammer, and the bolt fully engages the cylinder stop slots on two edges.

That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 07:49:22 AM »
Like this?
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Offline Slowhand

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 09:03:54 AM »
Like this?

Like that...
 ;D
Thanks

Bill

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 09:49:40 AM »
No problem Slowhand.  ;D
It's a lovely little revolver, mine is .38S&W
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Offline Slowhand

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 08:26:45 AM »
Nice little S&W Break Top there.

I picked up this little gal this week at the Post Office. I bought her from a fellow in Theodosia, MO. She had spent the last 40 years or so in a shadow box on a wall.

It's a .32 Cal, Double Action, 4th Model circa 1880-83.

I paired her up with the Iver Johnson. It's an interesting comparison.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 01:08:55 AM »

-Chris

In case it's been missed Mr. Goforth passed away last Saturday
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com