Author Topic: Merwin Hulbert replacement parts.  (Read 17685 times)

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Merwin Hulbert replacement parts.
« on: January 02, 2011, 06:05:58 AM »
Hey all.

I'm looking at an opportunity to pick up a First Model Merwin Hulbert large frame in .44 Russian.  The seller says it is complete, and the action works well save for missing the loading gate and the cylinder... yeah, only the minor parts.  The piece is in decent shape.  Price for everything is $475.

How much fun would that be to find these parts?  Discounting the hope the reproduction built to exact specs will surface.  Would this be a worthwhile project? 

Thanks.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Merwin Hulbert replacement parts.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 09:45:26 AM »
I wouldn't be holding my breath for a repro to be built - despite the hype.

That said - for these guns, and for many others, replacement parts reside in someone else's firearm.

Never reaching large production levels, Merwin, Hulbert parts have always been in short supply.

Your best bet is to cast a wide net among every parts dealer you can find who deals in older firearms - you may get lucky.

You may not.

Personally - 'I' would save my money and add to the pile in order to buy a decent revolver that's complete and not cobbled together.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 07:25:38 PM »
Yeah, that's why I used the term "hope."   ;D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:27:48 AM »

Offline RedGreen

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 04:44:59 PM »
Hi, I just joined so I have no idea if you ever followed through with this project. Parts are nearly impossible to find, and if you do find them you will probably notice that no two are exactly alike because most parts were hand fitted. Personally I think these are great firearms. That being said you might consider having the parts made new by a hobby machinists. (They need something to do)
A new cylinder would be advantagous. You could shoot it without worrying about it cracking.
One thing, if you do decide to do this be sure to understand that the 44MerwinHulbert cartridge is about 424 which is smaller than the normal 44wcf. So make sure the size of your barrel.
I can probably supply you with some specs for the cylinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 11:47:19 PM »
No, I did not.  Took a closer look at things and it was a disaster.  Funny thing was, this "gun" and it's seller came up in conversation not long ago. 

No matter as I already have an near mint MH medium frame in .32.

Very aware the .44 MH is different - oddball rounds do not scare me.   ;D  Thanks for your comment RedGreen, I know you will enjoy your time here.

Offline Uncle-10

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 10:06:23 AM »
I also am looking for a picture (or the part) of a cylinder stop for a Merwin Hulbert 1st Mod frontier. I have a pistol with that missing part only.  Being a retired machines, I can make anything if I just know what it looks like. slobrew10@att.net (Unkle-10)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 10:58:47 AM »
I wouldn't be holding my breath for a repro to be built - despite the hype.

That said - for these guns, and for many others, replacement parts reside in someone else's firearm.

Never reaching large production levels, Merwin, Hulbert parts have always been in short supply.

Your best bet is to cast a wide net among every parts dealer you can find who deals in older firearms - you may get lucky.

You may not.

Personally - 'I' would save my money and add to the pile in order to buy a decent revolver that's complete and not cobbled together.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Yeah, find a complete gun unless the owner of this one drops his price below a hundred bucks.  It's worth that as a paper weight or a door knocker.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 09:57:23 PM »
Jim Supica and his son work on all the old guns and fabricate parts.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 08:44:41 PM »
Not Supica, David Chicoine...Senior moment..
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 09:04:59 PM »
Dave's been out of the business since 2014 - serious health problems and bankruptcy.

That said - parts for Merwin, Hulberts still reside in other folks' revolvers - all it'll take is money.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 12:08:54 AM »
Dave's been out of the business since 2014 - serious health problems and bankruptcy.

That said - parts for Merwin, Hulberts still reside in other folks' revolvers - all it'll take is money.

Scouts Out!

That's sad. I haven't talked to him since about 2011 or 2012.  I thought his son was taking over the business.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 09:23:00 PM »
Dave Chicoine is not out of business. He died a couple of years ago. Great loss to the shooting community.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 11:24:52 PM »
Dave Chicoine is not out of business. He died a couple of years ago. Great loss to the shooting community.

Yes it is.  A few years back I was looking for a copy of his book on gunsmithing old west guns, which was out of print.  Found a "used, excellent" copy on Amazon at a very good price so I bought it.  Turned out David was the seller, and even autographed it.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 12:13:44 AM »
That's cool, Abilene. Do you have any idea how much used copies cost these days?  It would curl your toes.  Our local library has two copies and I've never been so on tempted to keep a library book and pay the fine/cover price. I wouldn't do that, but I certainly would think about it.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 06:16:17 AM »
You can always hope that the book might show up as a download for free online like McDowell's conversion book did.

Offline BRHoyle

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2020, 07:52:34 PM »
I own an original Merwin in .44 that need all the internal parts except the hammer and I am a gunsmith with JRH and after talking 2ith Jack Huntington the owner we wanted to restore it, unfortuanately we have not been able to find any parts to blue print and no blue prints out there to duplicate the parts. I figured someday they will come through the shop and I will get permission to blue print them. Obviously I could design my own inner workings that would make it functional but that would be far from authentic. Just have to continue to wait it's been 9 years and still nothing so in true military fashion I will stand by to stand by, and then commence standing by.

Brian Hoyle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com