Author Topic: resizing revolver barrel affect point of aim  (Read 3213 times)

Offline 4hats7revolver2rifles

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
resizing revolver barrel affect point of aim
« on: January 01, 2011, 03:00:56 AM »
I had competent gunsmith shorten the barrel on my 3 screw ruger blackhawk 357/38 a few years ago and remove the front sight and rear sight,,making a kind of fast draw toy(i do not compete,just fun)...Will cutting a barrel,,it was 7'' somthing to 4 5/8'' change the point of aim radically...I have only had a chance to shoot it  once about 12 rounds,,,but yesterday put 75 down the barrel and had great difficulty hitting a paper plate from the 3 to 7 yard range...It was really windy and had a hard time keeping the target secure but best i could tell from 3yards it was about six inches low and six inches to the left,,when i could hit the plate...The fellow that did the work is no longer with us RIP....My question is can it be fixed or would i be better off money wise to buy a new revolver,,,and are the lands and grooves in the barrel a precise size for the length of the barrel,,I thought that could be the problem but the gunsmith didn't indicate that shortning it would cause a problem..Hope all have a healthy and prosperous year and thanks for any info....Fortunately as the handle says i have another short barrel 3 screw that is still factory
ok and i can hit the plate 70-80 percent of time,,so it not me....

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: resizing revolver barrel affect point of aim
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 09:08:53 AM »
If the barrel is cut square, and the crown is ok, it should make no difference in point of impact. Does it still not have any sights? Kind of hard to aim without them. If it has had sights re-installed, then maybe the problem is the sights.

Offline 4hats7revolver2rifles

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 11:26:49 AM »
i will put a t-square on it later today and give crown a good lookin at...i had the sights left off on purpose,,,i fgured at 10 to 15 feet i could just point a paper plate and hit it,,,show what i know i guess,,thankd for hint...

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:28:32 PM »

Offline Judge Lead

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 01:14:28 AM »
Bear in mind that barrels are usually tapered with the muzzle end thinner that forcing cone (or chamber) end.

Regards
When we were younger, the days seemed to drag. As we get older, we wish they would.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 11:24:26 AM »
Is the blackhawk backsite notch filled in?  If not, fit a block of metal and screw it down with the existing site screw hole, and file it to make a round top with grooved backsite.  Then after checking the trueness of the muzzle, have a traditional blade frontsite put on. 

Only a suggestion!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com