Author Topic: Something new from... Colt?  (Read 11668 times)

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Something new from... Colt?
« on: December 31, 2010, 11:00:46 PM »
I see where Colt is coming out with an all stainless steel SAA.  First run will be in .45 with the three standard barrel lengths and will be offered in a high polish finish.  Due to hit the market sometime within the next couple of months.  Suggested retail is a few dollars short of $1500, about the same as their nickle finished guns.  I wonder if USFA will follow suit?  It would be an ideal "working gun," especially for those of us who live here in the Great Northwest where we are continually being drenched in rain and in close proximity to large bodies of salt water.
Part of me says that it is a great idea while another part says that it just ain't right (at least for Colt).  Sort of feels like they are breaking an unwritten tradition. 
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Something new from... Colt?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 11:39:49 PM »
I see where Colt is coming out with an all stainless steel SAA.  First run will be in .45 with the three standard barrel lengths and will be offered in a high polish finish.  Due to hit the market sometime within the next couple of months.  Suggested retail is a few dollars short of $1500, about the same as their nickle finished guns.  I wonder if USFA will follow suit?  It would be an ideal "working gun," especially for those of us who live here in the Great Northwest where we are continually being drenched in rain and in close proximity to large bodies of salt water.
Part of me says that it is a great idea while another part says that it just ain't right (at least for Colt).  Sort of feels like they are breaking an unwritten tradition. 

I don't see why Colt wouldn't/shouldn't do an all stainless steel SAA. Truth be told, I'm surprised that they haven't gone the stainless route already.
A work in progress.

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 08:18:46 AM »
A little known fact is that Colt's will provide a SAA in chrome finish.  A guy I shoot with has a pair and uses them with HB.  These apparently can be gotten from the custom shop on request.  Very durable and good looking.

That's the finish I wish USFA would offer.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:59:16 AM »

Offline jdpress

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 12:13:52 PM »
Captain Fitzgerald:

Per John Taffin, Colt is also reintroducing the New Frontier SAA this month at the SHOT show in Las Vegas!  Maybe they will make this model in Stainless Steel?

December 13, 2010 - John Taffin

"COLT NOW IT CAN BE TOLD" ---- "THE NEW FRONTIER WILL BE RE-INTRODUCED NEXT MONTH AT SHOT. .357, .44 SPECIAL, .45 COLT WITH 4-3/4", 5-1/2", AND 7-1/2" (PLEASE DON'T ANYONE START WHINING ABOUT OTHER CHAMBERINGS!)"

J.D. Press

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 04:56:50 PM »
Could very well be, JD.  Davidson's web site shows the model number for the 4 & 3/4" model as "P1840S," which would indicate the standard SAA frame.
CJF

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 11:53:51 PM »
Captain Fitzgerald:

Per John Taffin, Colt is also reintroducing the New Frontier SAA this month at the SHOT show in Las Vegas!  Maybe they will make this model in Stainless Steel?

December 13, 2010 - John Taffin

"COLT NOW IT CAN BE TOLD" ---- "THE NEW FRONTIER WILL BE RE-INTRODUCED NEXT MONTH AT SHOT. .357, .44 SPECIAL, .45 COLT WITH 4-3/4", 5-1/2", AND 7-1/2" (PLEASE DON'T ANYONE START WHINING ABOUT OTHER CHAMBERINGS!)"

J.D. Press

;D
A work in progress.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 04:59:10 PM »
Two points:

1.  I cannot see this as appealing to the vast majority of people who buy new Colt SAA's as they are usually traditionalists.

2.  The New Frontier was a fine gun but falls short in the market for a hunting gun to a more rugged Ruger or Freedom Arms chambered for more pressure.

That's my opinion & worth what you were charged.  ;D

Offline jdpress

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 03:04:17 PM »
Two points:

1.  I cannot see this as appealing to the vast majority of people who buy new Colt SAA's as they are usually traditionalists.

2.  The New Frontier was a fine gun but falls short in the market for a hunting gun to a more rugged Ruger or Freedom Arms chambered for more pressure.

That's my opinion & worth what you were charged.  ;D

Fox Creek Kid:

You have made two excellent and well-founded comments, however, here are two counterpoints:

Skeeter Skelton and John Taffin both have indicated that the Colt New Frontier in .44 Special caliber is the ideal single action if you reload.

John Taffin:  "The Colt New Frontiers maintain the beautiful looks, feel, and balance of the Colt Single Action Army with the added advantage of adjustable sights. It is a rare fixed sighted sixgun that shoots to point of aim and when it does it is normally for only one load. The New Frontier's sights allows any reasonable load to be dialed in."

"Until the advent of the Colt Anaconda in both .44 Magnum and .45 Colt, the New Frontier remained the finest hunting sixgun ever offered by Hartford. Especially in the 7 1/2" barrel length and in calibers .44 Special and .45 Colt, the New Frontier will get the job done up close on deer and black bear sized game. They are not Magnums, but the .45 Colt will easily handle loads using 260 grain Keith style bullets at 1000- 1150 feet per second, while the .44 Special uses the same style bullets of 250 grains of 1200-1250 feet per second."

Skeeter Skelton:  "A big, holstered sixgun is no longer part of my work, but when I get the chance, I roam in the brush country where a rattler, a whitetail buck, or a javelina might join me at any moment. I have a .44 Magnum, but my .44 Special seems more relaxed - and prettier. Buying a Colt New Frontier Model, with its beautiful blue and old style, mottled, casehardened colors took me back 15 years."  

"This finely fitted single action suits me well, and is the epitome of the forty-fours I dreamed of for fruitless years. At $150, it seems at first a little overpriced. But then - I once spent more."   -   August 1966

This is my own personal opinion:  One of my favorite single actions is a Ruger Super Blackhawk that I have had for almost forty years.  It is truly a great revolver but it is just different than carrying and shooting a Colt.  Even with less power, to me, it just seems more refined to holster a Colt.

Lastly, John Taffin summarized the mystique of a Colt in his book, Single Action Sixguns.  This reinforces your first point about traditional Colt SAA's but I think it still applies to the Colt New Frontier SAA in comparison to other non-Colt single actions:

"Pick up a large seashell and hear the ocean; pick up a single action and hear and feel history.  Just holding an old Colt single action conjures up visions of the Earps and Doc Holliday at the O.K. Corral, Theodore Roosevelt in the Dakotas, and Lt. George Patton with Black Jack Pershing in Mexico.  We can hear bugles in the afternoon, smell bacon and beans cooking over a campfire, feel the dust from the hooves of a thousand cattle, and taste steak and a big slab of apple pie washed down with hot coffee at the Irma Hotel.  A sixth sense takes over and Matt Dillon, Paladin, Rooster Cogburn, all become real."

J.D. Press

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 04:13:10 PM »
And both those articles were writen before Ruger introd the new medium frame .44 Special that can take the hot .44 Special loads. The playing field has changed. Don't get me wrong, I have two Colt FSS's and love 'em, but for a general woods gun or hunting revolver this new Ruger .44 Special is top dog in my book.  ;)

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
Can't wait to see the New Frontier. I sold my NIB 4 3/4 .45 NF a few years back and have regretted it ever since.

Offline jdpress

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 11:03:17 PM »
And both those articles were writen before Ruger introd the new medium frame .44 Special that can take the hot .44 Special loads. The playing field has changed. Don't get me wrong, I have two Colt FSS's and love 'em, but for a general woods gun or hunting revolver this new Ruger .44 Special is top dog in my book.  ;)

Fox Creek Kid:

You are right about the Ruger .44 S&W Special; it did come way after these articles and it will handle a much hotter reload than the Colt, without any issues.  I may just have to get one of Davidson's Ruger Blackhawks in that caliber........in addition, they are on sale until the end of January for just $416!!

Many thanks,

J.D. Press

Offline COLT_45_SAA

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 05:27:24 PM »
Here's my new Colt SAA Sheriff 45lc from the custom shop.....

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 07:01:04 PM »
Here's my new Colt SAA Sheriff 45lc from the custom shop.....
So, is that stainless?

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 11:02:24 PM »
Anyone have any idea why this thread is on the USFA forum and not the Colt forum?

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 06:56:54 AM »
Anyone have any idea why this thread is on the USFA forum and not the Colt forum?
And I thought it was just me wondering that.

Offline jdpress

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 02:44:45 PM »

The original question was:  Will USFA follow Colt and come out with a stainless steel model?  

Maybe the China Camp model will be resurrected?!!!

J.D. Press

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 03:19:08 PM »
The original question was:  Will USFA follow Colt and come out with a stainless steel model?  

J.D. Press

The China Camp wasn't stainless.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 08:00:51 PM »

J.D. Press

One can make their own China Camp with some naval jelly and steel wool.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 02:26:08 PM »
Apparently Colt is also now offering a hard chrome finish on their SAA.  I wonder if these sudden steps forward are the result of competition from USFA? 

Offline Devil Anse Hatfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 06:16:26 PM »
Mounted Shooters is where the sun sets on this new gun.

I think its a a better finish for longer life and easy care and cleanup
45 first as its only one in CMS
Sorry CAS members dont think you where thought about on this project.
just 2 cents

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com