Author Topic: Howdy Gents & Ladies  (Read 3577 times)

Offline bbs70

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Howdy Gents & Ladies
« on: December 29, 2010, 12:46:21 PM »
I've checked this forun on and off for a while.
Decided to join yesterday. ;D
My primary interest was to gather as much information on USFA single actions as I could before making a decision on which gun I would get.

I cast my own bullets and reload my own cartridges and I keep the pressures well within safe limits.
I use my single actions for target shooting , I call them my fun guns.

All the single actions I have owned over the years have been Rugers because of their strength and transfer bar.
But several months ago I decided to try something besides Rugers.
Don't get me wrong, Rugers are great guns, but their weight and feel didn't seem quite right to me.

Finally decided to get a USFA Rodeo in 45 lc from Long Hunter.
Ordered it last Sept and got it the end of Nov.
Wow, what a difference, definetly a keeper.

The last Ruger I owned was a stainless Blackhawk 4 3/4 in bbl in 45 lc.
I paid a well known gunsmith to slick up the action, hone the cylinders, cut the forcing cone, etc.
Never could get the gun, or any other Rugers, to shoot poa, they seemed to want to shoot to the left no matter what I did.
I figured it was me in my old age (62) , but when I finally got to shoot the Rodeo it shot poa with about any rounds I fed it.

I was amazed, the only thing I don't like about it is the base pin.
I have a base pin removal tool from Brownells, and it is still a pain to get the base pin out.
But as long as it keeps shooting like it has been, I'll be very happy.

Offline Garys4598

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Howdy Gents & Ladies
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 03:14:46 PM »
WELCOME part'ner!  I joined the forum for the very same reason(s). . . to gather information regarding USFA SA revolvers.  ;)

Regarding the stubbornness of your revolver's cylinder base pin, I experience the very same with my USFA revolver.  I'm simply chalking it up to the exceptional craftsmanship and exacting tolerances that USFA constructs its firearms to.  I figure the base pin will loosen-up a wee bit after I've fired a thousand rounds or so through her.

Again, WELCOME!

~Gary

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 04:02:07 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  I've got 4 USFA's from Longhunter.  They're all great revolvers.  I'm sure you'll enjoy yours for many years.  I've not had any problem with the base pins.  Just lubricate them well when you put them in - tolerances are tight.

Now if you really want to enjoy these guns as they were originally used, load full house black powder ammunition.  Now that is truly a hoot!  That's all mine ever get fed - they've never seen smokeless powder.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:09:15 AM »

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 06:01:38 PM »
bbs70, ahhh you've been bit by the bug. I started with a pair of Rodeo's when they first came out  :), then the local shop got a Henry Nettleton in (which somehow followed me home)  :D, and now I'm shooting a pair of their SAA's I got from doug Turnbull (talk about some beautiful finish)  ;D. Next on the list will be... well I don't know yet, but I'll figure it out at some point  ;). Enjoy it and start planning for the next one.

Offline bbs70

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 10:20:43 AM »
Well I've had my USFA rodeo for a while now and fired many rounds through it, all 255 lead reloads.
Still shoots great and ZERO problems.
Longhunter did an excellent job on it.
I've killed a lot of paper and many logs with it. ;D

Nothing against Ruger, but the USFA shoots better, handles better, and feels better than any Ruger I've owned.

It is DEFINETLY a keeper.
And my wife lets out a sigh of relief upon hearing this. ;D

Offline wileycoyote

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 11:06:50 AM »
great bbs70, but now the bad news for your wife: one rodeo isn't enough!

you'll soon be needing a Turnbull casehardened pre-war, or a storekeeper, or double eagle or......  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com