Author Topic: An unnecessary sour note  (Read 9946 times)

Book Miser

An unnecessary sour note
« on: July 13, 2005, 10:19:00 AM »
Last weekend, I attended a monthly match held by a club about sixty miles from home. The range is beautifully set up and maintained, and the people who volunteer their time to run the event could not be more accommodating. For example, lunch consisted not of the usual hot dog or hamburger consumed on the run. The posses took a 45-minute break, during which time we were offered a buffet of roast beef, fried chicken, parsley potatoes, and two vegetable choices, along with dessert and beverage. All of this for the price of one of the more modest combination specials available at Wendy’s. You had the choice of eating outdoors in a shaded picnic grove, or inside a screened area.

The morning’s stages had gone well. The club had just introduced its Texas-star target, to the delight of many of us who’d never shot one of these before. The plates on the target were shotgun “must-kills,” and the wide variety of shooter skill levels entertained us. I’ll admit to having had to use two rounds on each target, a source of great mirth to everyone, including me. I’ve been at this game less than two years, and because I don’t get much opportunity to practice, my shooting is consistently inconsistent. My score is usually found somewhere in the bottom ten, regardless of the match size.

After lunch, three stages remained, all set up in a different part of the range property. When we got to the second of these, all Hell broke loose. The stage was set up for a team scenario, which outraged four participants on one of the two posses. The behavior was immature, untoward and potentially dangerous. Our  posse leader, who had written the scenario, suggested that it would be fun to shoot. Which it was, half an hour later when we finally got going. One participant insisted that a team shoot was “not SASS-sanctioned,” conveniently ignoring the fact that this is an informal monthly event. She went on to opine that “we can’t let them get away with this even once, because they’ll make a habit of it.” Another said that he hadn’t #@$% driven four #@$% hours to #@$% shoot a team event, much less one in which he couldn’t choose his teammate. (The idea was to pair up people adjacent to each other in the shooting order.) A third insisted that this was a set-up, meant to skew the rankings for the day, since the two participants generally acknowledged as the top guns in the area were on the same posse, and would probably be paired for this stage. The posse leader explained the scenario at least twice, during which time almost nobody was listening. When the first team went to the firing line, nobody was loading to shoot next, and both the loading and unloading tables were unattended.

Somewhere amidst all this, the match director was summoned. At this particular club, the match director devotes full attention to management matters and does not shoot the match. The decision was made to shoot the team stage as announced, but not include that stage’s scores in the day’s rankings. Nearly everyone shot the stage and it was great fun, an entirely different skill set being involved, namely cooperation. Several of the top guns fumbled, almost everyone missed a target, and laughter again rang out. But during the interlude while the argument was running, firing lines and loading/unloading tables were unattended, shooters in the next posse grew restive and annoyed, and several brand-new shooters (not to mention a young teenage lady) were exposed to crude language and less-than-exemplary behavior.

I’ve read an awful lot of blather, in the chronicle and on the cowboy-shooting discussion websites about “gamers,” “Sprit of the Game,” and “the cowboy way.” Unfortunately, these are abstractions, just like the word “sportsmanship.” I think it’s time to retire these trite little words and phrases and engage in some plain talk. As mentioned, a teenaged young lady was part of our posse. I am certain that if she had exhibited the sort of behavior—on or off the range—seen from the full-grown adults there, that her shooting privileges would have been suspended until she’d once again proven her maturity and self-control. We grownups should hold ourselves and each other to the same standard. I didn’t stick around to see the final standings, but I am certain that this misbehavior did not result in the match DQs that it merits.  >:(

Pards, I understand that some of us are quite competitive, while others compete only with themselves, and still others are in this game purely for the fun of it. There is no earthly reason why anyone ought to feel justified in ruining anyone else's day in this way.

Moreover, as one of my posse-mates pointed out, the complainers never lifted a finger to spot, work the loading/unloading tables or help out in any other way. It was as though they were "customers," and the rest of us were there simply to please them. This is an especially sore point with me, as I have seen too many good activities ruined because the folks who volunteered their time and effort to run something were under-appreciated and abused by a tiny minority of participants who couldn't be troubled to act civil.  :(

'Nuff said.
 :-X

Offline Irish Red O'Toole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: An unnecessary sour note
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 11:05:22 AM »
Book,
I'm really sorry for your experience.  Thank God that folks like that are few and far between at most of th events I attend.

Book Miser

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 11:54:32 AM »
IROT, I'm pretty impervious to that kind of stuff. But I worry about the negative impression it left with the greenhorns, and of course there's always a safety concern any time people are angry and not paying attention.

I had a blast shooting that match, although I was rattled enough to have gotten myself a procedural on the stage following the team-shoot. I'd like to see an entire match setup that way, as a fun shoot. And I'll certainly go back to that club, although perhaps not in such disagreeably hot weather.

I'm curious to know whether anyone thinks this behavior would have merited a match DQ. I certainly think so, although I'm sure the posse leader and MD woulda had hell to pay if they'd done it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:01:27 AM »

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 12:15:35 PM »
Well,the language factor might have earned them a Match DQ if they had been asked to tone it and continued with more foul language.  Otherwise, a Match DQ is pretty harsh for disputing one stage.  I might have invited them to leave and returned their shooter's fees if they had such an extreme disagreement.  That puts the MD and the club running the match on the moral high ground.

Offline ladylaw45

• Active citizen
  • I LOVE my shot gun
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 11:19:11 PM »
I was a participant in this here shoot for the first time at this club. I really enjoyed the targets and that Texas star thingy-what a hoot!  The other really great thing was the most newbies that I had ever seen at one time come out to shoot.  The not so great-well Book Miser hit it right on the head!  I just hope the newbies come back to shoot at that club and the other local ones. Sure, we hear about the 'gamers' and such-but the language and the anger brought this to a reality check for this shooter. I thought this level of intensity would only  be at BIG SHOOT levels.  I just want to be safe, have fun and make those metal outlaws go 'ping'-now that's a beautiful sound! :D

Ladylaw ;) 
SASS# 32395  BOLD#553  NRA Instructor ROII

Offline Throckmorton

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 11:22:41 PM »
Sounds like a bunch of whinng crybabies to me. :-\   Ask them ONCE to can the language,then tell 'em to leave the premisises for the day.Who needs that kind of headaches when we are here to  have fun.Read the book,folks.We play a game,and fun is the goal.don't ruin everyones' fun by your whining and snivleing,just pack up and GIT!!!!

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 11:31:22 PM »
Red, any time anyone gets belligerent and foul mouthed, they should be thrown out...PERIOD.  That sort of thing has no place at any event with guns and ammo any more than drinking before or during a match.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 03:23:32 AM »
May you be lucky enough to never run into this whinin' & bitchin' nasty attitude at a SASS club/match again. >:(

We never have!
So far:  Damn near EVERYBODY has been top-notch.
And we frequent 5 or 6 clubs in our area.

MG & CJ
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Texas Tall

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 04:26:25 AM »
I've seen the occasional disagreement at matches but never to the extent this one seems to have got to. I think Irish Red's idea of offering them back their shooting fee and asking them to leave
would be the answer.
 Regards................Texas Tall.
If you've gotta cheat ta win, you've only beaten y'self.
SASS# 47630
SA/Aust.2870
GSC 002

Book Miser

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 09:20:32 AM »
I gotta agree with Red, whose widsom and judgment (as usual) is right on the money.

To call it a DQ might further inflame the bad tempers, and refunding the ten bucks is a bit of a palliative.

But I think any such incident needs to be addressed, rather than ignored. The reason, ironically enough, was pointed out by one of the miscreants when she said, "We can't let them get away with this, even once." I have done enough behavioral work with dogs and with people to know that ignoring unwanted behavior reinforces it. In the heyday of Emily Post, it was considered best to ignore someone who farts loudly in a crowd of polite folk, but this is a different situation.

And I've heard from one of the TGs that this haughty attitude is predictable from these particular people.

Main reason for my concern is that I will start leading posses as of this Saturday, and at least one of this gang shows up at my home club intermittently. For the moment, I've asked the MD to be sure he is not on my posse, but I don't shrink from confronting problems, and sooner or later I'll have to face it. I'd rather be prepared in advance.

Shoshone Slim

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 01:33:11 PM »
Personally I don't think that anyone who conducts themselves in this manner deserves anonymity.  Especially if this is behavior that has come to be expected from these folks then people should be forewarned about posse'in up with them. If I behaved in this manner at a shoot then I'd expect some one to say that "Shoshone Slim showed his rather expansive hiney, etc..".  There's a lot to be said for public shame.  Having said that, I'd have given each one a "spirit of the game" penalty and if the foul language continued after they'd been asked to tone it down then they would have been shown the way out, period.
I've shot stages that were random team pairings and always feel bad because I'm more than likely the liability on the team but if anyone has this level of competitive nature at a monthly shoot then they really need to take a chill pill. 

Prairie Pearl

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 01:50:07 PM »
Ah crap!  >:( Does that mean if I get paired up with Shoshone I won't stand a chance at winning the Mercedes?!?!?  :'(

Sometimes I wonder....don't people have enough stress in the day to day real world without bringing it along to a CAS event?  Man, this if fun, instant stress relief, dress up and play cowboy....

I think I'd pull them fellas aside and say "Darlin' I know we're all using aliases here but both you and your alias are idiots!"

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 02:09:18 PM »
Red, any time anyone gets belligerent and foul mouthed, they should be thrown out...PERIOD.  That sort of thing has no place at any event with guns and ammo any more than drinking before or during a match.
Not disagreeing with you 40-R.  But we all get out of line once in a while.  And most of us realize how big a horse's hiney we've just made of ourselves...usually right after we do it.  That's why I said give them an opportunity to tone it down.  If they insist on demonstrating who much kinship they have with a braying jackass, THEN show them the door.  If we Match DQ'd everyone for every little four-letter adjective that slips out during a shoot, I think only The Reverand Colton Cross would be left at one of our shoots!!  Well, maybe Trick Shot too, but only because she doesn' say much of anything. ;D

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 02:12:04 PM »
There are a few I know who absolutely hate team stages.  Several others who don't like them but they suck it up, keep their mouth shut and shoot.  

Me?  I don't care.  Ain't got nothing to prove.

Having said that and being one who writes the majority of what I shoot, when I decide to do a team stage, I try to get the word out before the shoot so those who are opposed to such activity can stay the hell home.

'Nuff said.

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 02:18:37 PM »
Oh, forgot...........

Pearl, we cain't afford a Mercedes as a prize.  Alls we give is a Lexus.....................

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline thehairlessone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 04:37:50 PM »
I havent been to a cas shoot yet. Hoping to make it to one next month but I have been to alot of archery shoots.

From what I have seen there is alot of this kind of stuff that goes on at every club. I have seen it time and time again.

Some people are out just to have fun (like myself) and others are after every point and they dont care what they have to do to get it.

I am not a competitive person. I just do things because I enjoy it which is one reason I am getting into cas.

I have been an officer in the archery club for 4 years and those are some of the reasons I am getting out of it. Always someone complaining about something.

Just my 2 cents.

rick

Shoshone Slim

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 04:53:38 PM »
Howdy Hairlessone,

What I think has so many of use riled is that this is by far not the norm for CAS matches monthly match or otherwise.  In the 8 years that I've been doing this I've found that we are a pretty harmonious bunch by and large.

Book Miser

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 05:33:26 PM »

I have been an officer in the archery club for 4 years and those are some of the reasons I am getting out of it. Always someone complaining about something.

You've hit exactly on my biggest gripe about this! Same thing happened to me in dog obedience. Complainers will always be with us, but they ought to be put on notice that they're in the minority.

Giving them a "spirit" penalty would only have exacerbated the problem, especially since they were refusing to shoot the stage. The match director cured the complaint by not having that stage count in the day's rankings. To the great relief of the guy who got stuck with me.

I know the names of only two who were involved. Funny thing was that a TG who was present (not the TG of that club) had not heard any of the fracas, since he was leading the other posse. But he was able to correctly guess the identities of the people who were angry.

I know of some people who absolutely will not posse up with so-and-so, and that's a dang shame.

Offline Wes Virginian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 07:01:54 PM »
Thank goodness that type of person is in a very small minority. Some do thrive on whining!

Wes Virginian
Texican Rangers, Co. A, Kanawha Valley Regulators, NRA Life-Endowment, SASS Life 40471, NCOWS 2037, GAF, USN '60/'63.

Book Miser

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 08:56:07 PM »
Thank goodness that type of person is in a very small minority. Some do thrive on whining!

Wes Virginian

...and ironically, we're beginning to sound that way ourselves. Probably time to quit discussing this and go on to happier stuff.

Thanks to all for the support/advice.

:D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com