Author Topic: 1877 Lightening  (Read 4393 times)

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 693
1877 Lightening
« on: December 23, 2010, 10:01:51 PM »
I recently went into a gun shop and they had a restored VERY NICE Colt 1877 DA revolver in there. I did not get to talk to the owner to find out who restored the gun but it looks great. I have always wanted to have a 1877 Colt before and Im thinking about trying to haggle with him some. Not being a Colt collector I am not sure where to start.

Can someone point me in the right direction in terms of price of such a gun? I know pictures would help but in this case I have none. Just know that the gun is in really good looking condition.

I know to some that the gun may not have its true collector's value due to being restored but this would be a nice gun for me to own.

Its blued and color case hardened, black grips.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Hard Mouth

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 1877 Lightening
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 11:56:14 PM »
Howdy Rube,

Please don't take this as "fair market value", 'cause I mighta got screwed, but I don't care (fer some reason, I just liked it. I recently bought a Lightning, made in 1884, and restored. Paid $600 on Gunbroker. Re-nickled, wood grips that need some fitting. 3-1/2" barrel (shop-keeper model). Address line on top of the barrel has been buffed off. In good light, buff marks visible under the nickle plating. Still has the serial #s and patent dates. Shootable single or double action.

I know that "restored" guns lose their collector value, but I don't collect as an investment. I accumulate for personal pleasure, and I have a couple of other restored guns that bring me happiness. I could not afford to own them in "collector condition". If you decide to buy yours, I hope it makes you smile when you hold it, and when you show it off to your friends....  (Mine does.)

Hard Mouth

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 08:14:53 AM »
Howdy Rube,

Please don't take this as "fair market value", 'cause I mighta got screwed, but I don't care (fer some reason, I just liked it. I recently bought a Lightning, made in 1884, and restored. Paid $600 on Gunbroker. Re-nickled, wood grips that need some fitting. 3-1/2" barrel (shop-keeper model). Address line on top of the barrel has been buffed off. In good light, buff marks visible under the nickle plating. Still has the serial #s and patent dates. Shootable single or double action.

I know that "restored" guns lose their collector value, but I don't collect as an investment. I accumulate for personal pleasure, and I have a couple of other restored guns that bring me happiness. I could not afford to own them in "collector condition". If you decide to buy yours, I hope it makes you smile when you hold it, and when you show it off to your friends....  (Mine does.)

Hard Mouth

Thank you for your reply. I dont really buy for investment reasons either. I will shoot this gun should I buy it. That being said, I dont want to overpay for it either.

Its priced at 599.00 and its the prettiest 1877 that my eyes have ever seen. I have not seen a bunch.....just looked around at them on Gunbroker and such but I sure liked this one when I seen it in person.

Im sure I would be happy at that price....I have paid more for much less of a gun in my opinion. Was just curious as to what other Colt guys thought would be a decent price.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:56:11 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 08:26:14 AM »
I'll point out that these revolvers are notorious for weak springs, and are very difficult to work on.

Most 'smiths won't.

All refinished guns look 'pretty' - but those are still refinished guns, and should you want/have to sell it - your return will be less.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 10:17:37 AM »
I'll point out that these revolvers are notorious for weak springs, and are very difficult to work on.

Most 'smiths won't.

All refinished guns look 'pretty' - but those are still refinished guns, and should you want/have to sell it - your return will be less.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

So you think 599.00 is too much for a restored gun? Not just reblued......but says completely restored.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 11:03:17 AM »
In general - I do.

A fully-restored piece has the correct finish of the era - all lettering is sharp, and re-cut if needed - grips fit perfectly - in essence, it's on the order of 'factory new'.

For that sort of attention - the guys who can really perform the job charge far more.

That price is the price of a well-kept but used original, and you can still find originals.

I understand the appeal of the Colt - I do - but if you just want a nice period double-action - look at the various original S&Ws, since there are folks who 'will' work on them.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 10:12:56 AM »
In general - I do.

A fully-restored piece has the correct finish of the era - all lettering is sharp, and re-cut if needed - grips fit perfectly - in essence, it's on the order of 'factory new'.

For that sort of attention - the guys who can really perform the job charge far more.

That price is the price of a well-kept but used original, and you can still find originals.

I understand the appeal of the Colt - I do - but if you just want a nice period double-action - look at the various original S&Ws, since there are folks who 'will' work on them.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Thank you for your insight. The gun does still have sharp lettering in most places but I can tell it was not recut. the innards were all tight and looked to be working right. I plan to go back in there after Christmas and see how low he will come. If the price is right I may get it. If not, I will walk. This is just a gun I have always wanted and this is the first I have actually seen in person. Not too many Colts.....that I can afford around here.  ;D  Not a lot of Cowboy guns in general.

Thank you again and Merry Christmas.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Cole Younger

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 05:05:29 AM »
I know this may be a bit late but...I think $600 sounds like a fine price in the condition you describe.  I've had at least two 1877's, maybe more.  I know I paid $600 for one in original condition, about fifteen years ago.  Later, I can remember getting a re-nickel for about $275.  They are difficult to work on and the mechanisms are delicate and prone to breakage, but there are guys around who can do it.  With the increase in prices for just about any firearm, I think that is a very fair price. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com