Author Topic: Looking for advice on various importers  (Read 4153 times)

Offline Vance Beckett

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Looking for advice on various importers
« on: July 11, 2005, 12:40:48 PM »
Howdy folks,
I’d like some advice, and I’m sure y’all can help me out!
It’s my understanding that many of the fine (and not so fine) replica cowboy guns are made by only a few firms, such as Armi San Marco (sp?), Uberti, and Pieta (sp?).  They are imported into the USA by companies such as EMF, Navy Arms, and Cimarron Arms.  My question is, in your experience, which of the importers seems to have the highest standards when it comes to the guns they bring in?  Which manufacturers seem to do the best work?  I myself am looking for replica guns which are as close to the “real thing” as I can afford for authenticity’s sake, rather than the normal Ruger Vaquero/94 Winchester route (nothing wrong with em!).  From my own research, Cimarron Arms seems to be at the top, but I’d like some info from y’all who’ve been doing this for a while.  Thanks in advance  :)
STORM #185

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
Re: Looking for advice on various importers
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 02:51:07 PM »
Boy, you ask the tough ones! ::) :o Qualitywise, they're all about the same, you can get a lemon from any of them. With imported Uberti's, the only difference is markings and variations in finish. The new Pietta '73 Colts, are pretty good qualitywise. EMF and Charles Daly are importing those now. Probably the best clone out there are the USFA's and are made here, but the price is much higher. Armi San Marco's quality was very hit and miss and they're not in business as far as I know. Hope this helps some.......Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Vance Beckett

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 05:56:38 PM »
Every little bit helps!  Thanks for the reply, and I look forward to more :)
STORM #185

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:57:07 PM »

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 09:15:27 PM »
I have a pair of EMF Frontier Marshall’s.  They are Uberti’s, and the same as EMF’s Hartfords (but with brass back strap and trigger guard.   They have been just fine out of the box.  The only difference I’ve found is the handspring is a coil spring in the frame, rather than the little leaf spring on the hand on an original Colt.  That leaf spring is the only part that’s ever broke, and led me to keep some extras in my parts box.  I’ve had the new ones for about two years now and have had no problems.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 07:51:36 PM »
Basically, Uberti makes all the guns marketed by Cimarron, Navy Arms, Taylor's, etc. I use a Uberti 1866 Henry in 45 Colt myself, but use Ruger Old Vaqueros for my revolvers. Anyone out there will tell you Ruger is hell for stout. I would suggest you look at the Marshal's Getting Started thread on the forum and read the handbooks on line, especially the one by Capt Baylor. He covers all the guns in details both bad and good.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com