Author Topic: What to avoid in leather gear?  (Read 21332 times)

Offline icemaster109

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What to avoid in leather gear?
« on: December 06, 2010, 03:01:55 PM »
I hear alot of people have different preferences when it comes to leather gear (holster, belt etc). So I felt it would be a better question to figure out what types of characteristics to avoid when it comes to selecting a holster or belt?

Thanks

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: What to avoid in leather gear?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 03:01:28 PM »

Here are a couple of shots of me wearing some of my gear, to give you an idea of what I like (and don't like)
I am left handed, and I prefer my holsters to ride pretty high on the belt, esp the crossdraw. (most folks when they do a crossdraw they tend to make it to ride low...) I also like my cross draw to ride just like you see in the pix. My leathersmith (RedDog Leather from Kentucky knows just how I like them.) I also prefer a moneybelt as they are more comortable but in my scout pix the exception is that it is a "Fair Weather Christian" belt. also it is a double crossdraw, and has lots of style points.

If you find a leather man you like it is good to tell him just what you want, and if he is worth his salt you will get just what you want, and that means a rig you can wear all day long..make sure your leather maker know what he is doing. A pard of mine got a rig from a local shop that the guy "dabbles" in leather. The rig he got had several flaws, the cross draw was very loose to the belt and was a droped gun waithing to happen. and the bif deal was the guy that made it put the hammer thong on the inside of the holste so it caught on the gun, causing the shooter to almost drop the gun and for sure swept the posse and got a match dq. guy took the holster back on my suggestion...I don't know if he got his money back or not..

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 03:53:57 PM »
Your holsters should hold your guns firmly but not too tight.  You should be able to put your guns in them and turn them upside down and the guns should stay it...for a second or two.  You'll be running and moving and you don't want your holsters so loose that your guns can jump out but you don't want them snagging when you try to draw them.

To avoid leather die staining my britches I like my belt lined with natural leather.

Your holsters should have a fair amount of stiffness which means lined.  If they are too floppy it can be difficult to reholster.

Go places and try on leather, make sure that it fits you will and is comfortable.  I like a three inch belt because they seem to distribute the weight of the guns better and my back seems to feel better than it did when I was wearing a thinner tapered belt.

So really it's still a lot about preference but you do want well fitted holster that is tight but not too tight, natural lining on the belt unless you don't mind the stain on your britches, you can get smooth or rough leather the smooth moves around a little easier and the rough/suede can be hard to move.

Leather is a very important part of your gear.  You will buy another belt and holster later.  For your first set I recommend going with something more plain and put your money in quality leather.  Later once you have a style and a fit that you know you like and that is comfortable and meets your needs then you can get something fancier and custom.

Mernickle and Kirkpatrick are good places to shop for a first set of leather.  You can get something as box stock or add as much custom as you like.  Both create rigs for competition and know what leather for competition requires.

There are a ton of other good leather makers out there as well.  Some will lean more toward making rigs for competition and some will lean more towards leather than is more historically accurate.  Most will make about anything that you want

“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:20:52 AM »

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 08:36:21 PM »
A few hints for your first leather set up:

1)  Stay away from buscadero rigs.  They didn't exist in the Old West are are only a product of 20th century cinema.  Thus they are appropriate if your goal is to shoot "B-Western" category. 

2)  Get some Mexican loop holsters.  They are versatile (you can wear em strong side or cross draw).  They are also period correct.  This means if you desire to shoot SASS, they are ok . . . if you desire to shoot NCOWS, they are OK . . . if you dress up to participate in a reenactment, they are ok.

3)  My "Go to" leather place is El Paso Saddlery.  I've been customers of theirs for almost 20 years.  The leather is always top grade.  Holsters throats always stay open (without steel reinforcers).  Their colors always match.   I have a belt I bought in 1992 that perfectly matches the Slim Jim holster I bought last month.  They also have a no-BS customer service policy.  If you get something that doesn't fit, send it in and they replace it or make it right.  I had some stitching come out on a 15 year old hunting holster.   I sent it in and they repaired it and had it back to me in 10 days.  Only down side:  new orders usually take about 2 months to arrive.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline n4sir45

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 05:04:14 PM »
Curley,
I like your message and all should use that for help when buying gear because I made the mistake of buying the Buscadero rigs and although they look good but don't work with my suits and I don't like my guns hanging so far down like you. I had 3 specially made the are like you with both crossdraw and right/left hand strong. But I had mine made and the guy was a good leathercrafter and I had him make me a cheap belt first good but only cost me about 80 bucks after I got it and liked the fit and look of what I wanted then I got the rigs that I wanted to wear which was one eastwood and one was an off shoot of the Duke style belt and another plain style so I could throw on a pair of jeans (No belt loops and with Suspenders and suspender buttons put on) and a plain long sleeve shirt if you are behind and in a hurry.
I bought a shirt almost like yours but with no fringe and I also bought a complete matching pants, vest and jacket for the formal event's in the off time.
I like the old Cowboy look like your first picture and the frontier look But my main look is the old cowboy look like your first picture.
I'M glad someone posted something like this to help new people. Maybe more people will post their ideas and thought's so there is more information then what brief discriptiions that SASS has because SASS is very brief in what you can and can't wear and do. Some people have their own idea of what others should wear that is not always correct and give advice that is wrong because I was told by someone at a match the my holsters needed to be returned because my guns wouldn't go all the way in the holsters but SASS says in writting that as long as the gun can be held in the holster without falling out it is a legal holster. I just got the belt rig and wanted to test it's fit that day and I knew the guns were sitting high AFTER I put it on (My mistake) but all I needed to do was to wet fit the pistol's not embarass myself and tell the leathercrafter that I wanted my money back or to give me new holsters. I personally like my guns to sit high in the holster and the lip on the holster to be bent over alittle to make reholsterrs easier. But that's me.
Wetting the outer lip of the holster opens up the holster so if you are reholstering it gives you alittle more space to fit it in. (just my idea) But anyway this is my idea's and what I do, if it helps any and again thanks Curley (If this answer is posted, I'M not sure)

Offline maarty

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 04:19:10 AM »
I'm going to say something that a few people may not agree with.
Buy cheap, get yourself a cheap set of holsters and belt to start off with.
That will get you a foot in the door and allow you to get a feel for what you want and what will suit.
Look around and talk to others about their rigs, makers etc and what they like about their rigs, find a maker that guys in your club recommend (they may have a local source the average joe wouldn't know about) and the ones they say to avoid. THEN spend some bigger money buying a decent rig but still don't expect it to be your last.

Don't be dazzled by flash, pretty stamping or carving, spots and conchos won't stop your gun falling out of the holster or your holster falling off your belt or any number of other things that could go wrong, look for quality, even stitching, straight lines and smooth curves, decent thickness (weight) leather.

Anyway that's my thoughts on the subject and I hope it helps.

Offline BlackCatBriggs

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 10:20:55 AM »
This topic relates to something I've been thinking about lately, as well. I plan to attend my first match next month, and make my final decisions there, but right now I'm narrowing down my choices for firearms, leather, outfit, etc.

I've always been curious about something in regards to gun leather. Why is it impossible to find a belt without studs, stamps, or cartridge loops? Really, I'd like a plain-looking leather belt, so maybe I should just buy a tool-belt and strip the accessories from it. Then, of course, my problem is finding a decent holster that'll fit it. Mexican Loops seem smaller than the typically thick American tool belts, and for me as an amateur historian a Buscadero is totally out of the question. I know that most folks in the period couldn't afford a holster, and opted many times to carry their guns 'Tuco Ramirez' style until they could get one. Somehow, though, I don't think this is a typically accepted practice in CAS.

Where can I find a plain-Jane leather rig that has no frills, no excitement, not stamps, or studs, or tiny horses dancing about on the front? Of course, I'm still leaning towards a Schofield, so I'm curious about one from a company that can supply me with holsters for either Colt clones or Schofield holsters.

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 03:52:12 PM »
Howdy Black Cat,

If you look at the "Leathersmiths, show us your stuff",  thread in the leather forum, You will find a whole bunch of makers who can craft exactly what you want.  Find someone in your area to make it easier.  I am sure one of us can get you suited up properly. 

Regards,

PhP

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 05:39:58 PM »
A word of caution.... there is a Manufacturer in the low end entry price level to stear clear of.
Their leather is about 7 oz. soft, oily, I would advise aganist it....
Their prices approach the price of some very good independent makers.

I won't mention the name here, as It's my humble opinion.

However, if you like to know you may PM me and I'll give you that name
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 05:40:31 PM »
Do a goodle search for "Peterson Custom Leather. He'll make you a very authentic rig to your specs. 
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 08:57:29 PM »
I'll second Red Dog Leather.
http://stores.ebay.com/Reddog-Leather
The Leather Forum is a good place to try also.

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 02:13:35 AM »
I had a couple of Duke rigs from EPS at the begining and I also got some Oklahoma leather stuff to try out fit and holster configurations.  that way you can learn what you DON'Tlike cheaper.

here are some of my other rigs, and to answer your question, any good leathersmith can make you holsters/belts as you like. RedDog made my Scout rig that way. check the pix.

El Paso Saddlery

RedDog Leather

Will Ghormley

RedDog Leather

you can also check some gear pix at my web site:
http://sdough.smugmug.com
curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 02:24:48 AM »
BTW

The roughout leather rig above we had RedDog make for Old Top and they are made for Schofields. I just put my 75 Remingtons in it for the pix.

here is Old Top wearing it

The Cowboys
dammit gang

Offline Lead Waster

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 06:14:19 PM »
A word of caution.... there is a Manufacturer in the low end entry price level to stear clear of.
Their leather is about 7 oz. soft, oily, I would advise aganist it....
Their prices approach the price of some very good independent makers.

I won't mention the name here, as It's my humble opinion.

However, if you like to know you may PM me and I'll give you that name

Uh Oh. Now I'm afraid I may have bought a set of these! The brand I bought is the company that makes Ruger branded holsters.

OK, I won't think about it, since it's money already spent.

Hey, OP, I was at Lowes Hardware store and they have 2 inch thick leather tool belts for $10. Only the belt, and it's quite long so it'll probably fit everyone. I saw on eBay, you can get some holsters for about $30 or so. So that gets you set up (minus shotgun shell carrier) for < $100.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 06:35:41 PM »
I'll go against the flow here:  I refuse to own lined holsters and dislike heavy holsters and belts.

If I'm wearing a gun (or guns) all day long.....and I have for more years than CAS has been around.....the weight will beat me to death.

I also try to keep all of my gear lighter.  For instance, I have a pair of Fort Western mule ear boots that I love, but all day is about a half a day too long to wear them, especially in hot weather.

My holsters are a pair of Steve Lallioff customs that I had him make many years ago.  They are exactly like the El Paso Ranger, except I had them cut a bit lower at the throat.  A year or so later El Paso offered that as an option.  They ride on an El Paso money belt.  I used to have two money belts and wore them crossed with a gun on each side.  Looked absolutely marvelous, but those twin rigs with a pair of 5.5" SAAs, forty-five rounds of .45 Colt ammo in each one, a Bowie knife, and the rest of my truck and duffle weighed about 700 pounds by the end of a day.

Think about it a bit and realize that you'll probably own several of everything over time, and pick carefully.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 09:47:46 PM »
Major 2,

That company ... their holsters would not be sold by Cabelas, would they? *S*

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 10:06:01 PM »
Hi,

Another option is to make ones own ... although one eneds up buying the cost of the holster and belt in tools and leather ...

TTFN,

Here is a set I made for my Schofields based on a Will Ghormley plan ...

Here is a rig I made for this friend's 1883 4 3/4" Colt:

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 12:07:39 AM »
Major 2,

That company ... their holsters would not be sold by Cabelas, would they? *S*

TTFN,

That would be.... yes

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 07:50:14 AM »
That would be.... yes

Major 2,

That is kinda what I thought ... nice to see you!

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

Offline Lead Waster

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 01:03:47 PM »
That would be.... yes

Well too late for me, since I bought mine already, but ... well, I'll let the products speak for themselves whether they are good or bad. I'm guessing for a non-hardcore guy like me, they might be OK. But I won't judge them without trying them ... and my money's in their bank already. I actually did research leather before I bought as well. And bounced from the extreme of going super cheap (ebay holsters and $10 leather tool belt) to overkill ($400 for a rig with someone's name on it) and decided ... I needed something in between for low usage, but not crap. Time will tell.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com