Author Topic: 'At The OK Corral'  (Read 22154 times)

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
'At The OK Corral'
« on: December 03, 2010, 08:08:40 PM »
Once again I hear some great Historian, self proclaimed of course, ranting about the fight in Tomestone. The thing has been called the gunfight AT THE OK CORRAL for a 100 years now. Everyone knows that it was at, as in near the corral, not in the corral. My Lord let it go. We have so many subjects that need research or actual digging without a bunch of grown men dancing around like school boys over what to call a fairly well documented gunfight.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: 'At The OK Corral'
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 09:48:18 PM »
AMEN!!
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 11:08:18 PM »
Of COURSE it was "The Gunfight AT O.K. Corral"!  Frankie Lane sang it that way, so it MUST be true!  ::) ;D
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:39:20 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 08:51:49 AM »
Of COURSE it was "The Gunfight AT O.K. Corral"!  Frankie Lane sang it that way, so it MUST be true!  ::) ;D

Well it's hard to rhyme "The Gunfight behind Fly's Photo Studio and Boarding House near the OK Corral."
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 12:15:56 PM »
Well it's hard to rhyme "The Gunfight behind Fly's Photo Studio and Boarding House near the OK Corral."
;D ;D ;D ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 04:22:53 PM »

I like that Del, you might be on to something there.

tEN wOLVES ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 04:52:06 PM »
  I like that Del, you might be on to something there.

tEN wOLVES ;D

Usually am. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 06:24:10 PM »
Lots of the fight took place on Fremont Street alongside the back entrance to the OK Corral and in the vacant lot between Fly's Photo Gallery and the Harwood boarding house, where Doc Holliday lived.  No one entered the OK Corral except for Ike Clanton who ran into Fly's studio through the the front door and out the back. He ran by or through the Corral and into the Allan street from where he took cover in a saloon.

Here's a little known fact.  A "cowboy" named William (Billy) Allen took a snap shot at Wyatt from behind during the OK Corral fight.  Wyatt turned and fired a shot his way.  This is the same William Allen who doc shot in the arm in Hyman's saloon in Leadville shortly before his death. This animosity between Allen and Holliday went way back.

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 08:11:36 PM »
Once again I hear some great Historian, self proclaimed of course, ranting about the fight in Tomestone. The thing has been called the gunfight AT THE OK CORRAL for a 100 years now. Everyone knows that it was at, as in near the corral, not in the corral. My Lord let it go. We have so many subjects that need research or actual digging without a bunch of grown men dancing around like school boys over what to call a fairly well documented gunfight.

Hollywood also adds to the various illusions such as, every soldier at the Little Big Horn was Killed by using phrases in their movies, such as "7th Cavalry wiped out at the LBH" or, "Custer and his whole command wiped out at LBH". When in fact the 7th suffered 51% casualties at LBH.  I'm sure that at least 75% of the North American population believe that there were no white survivors at LBH due to Hollywood's phraseology.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 12:41:12 AM »
Hollywood also adds to the various illusions such as, every soldier at the Little Big Horn was Killed by using phrases in their movies, such as "7th Cavalry wiped out at the LBH" or, "Custer and his whole command wiped out at LBH". When in fact the 7th suffered 51% casualties at LBH.  I'm sure that at least 75% of the North American population believe that there were no white survivors at LBH due to Hollywood's phraseology.

Yep, five companies of Custer's cavalry were wiped out, but lots survived.  Some lived to fight in the fight at Wounded Knee.  Same Indians, same white men; different outcome.   

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 03:33:28 PM »

If that would happen, what would the tenderfeet have to wax eloquent, and knowledgable, about?

Up until I visited Tombstone, in 1960, everything I read was "AT" the OK corral. I was surprised to find out differently, on my visit.

Bill

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 08:19:04 PM »
I am trying to think if a western that I think depicted historical events correctly.  I like "Tombstone" but Doc Holliday probably didn't smoke.  I've always been a fan of "The Searchers", but only because of the setting and attitudes which I think are shown correctly.   I like the "Treasure of Sierra Madre" which I think is very authentic.  It's such a shame that the folks who write the screen plays for westerns aren't snapped into the history.  "Young Guns" would have been just as good, or even better, if they had shown the Regulators as they were.

The most true to life thing I've ever seen is a movied is the bar scene in "Top Gun".  You see, I was there.

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 03:26:41 AM »
I am trying to think if a western that I think depicted historical events correctly.  I like "Tombstone" but Doc Holliday probably didn't smoke.  I've always been a fan of "The Searchers", but only because of the setting and attitudes which I think are shown correctly.   I like the "Treasure of Sierra Madre" which I think is very authentic.  It's such a shame that the folks who write the screen plays for westerns aren't snapped into the history.  "Young Guns" would have been just as good, or even better, if they had shown the Regulators as they were.

The most true to life thing I've ever seen is a movied is the bar scene in "Top Gun".  You see, I was there.

How close do you think the Costner movie, "Wyatt Earp," was?

Bill

Offline rebsr52339

• Bowie Knife Dick (SASS#87007)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 09:35:45 AM »
Stillwater, if anything it sure looked good.
Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 10:46:44 AM »

Well, in the movie, "The Right Stuff" the bartender, "Fred", in the scene at Pancho Barnes' Happy Bottom Riding Club, where he comes out of the gloom when the two actor pilots are discussing Chuck Yeager.  "Fred" knew everything about the actual Club...because the "actor" playing "Fred" was actually Yeager himself!  ;D

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2010, 07:27:47 PM »
How close do you think the Costner movie, "Wyatt Earp," was?

Bill
 Except for "Tin Cup" and "Field of Dreams" Costner ruins for me every movie he is in.  It's his beach boy voice that destroys it.  Wyatt I'm sure had a deep, throaty voice.  Costner just squeeks.  I think that movie looks pretty good and Quaid IS Doc Holliday.  

So to answser your question, Bill; I'd have liked the flim much better if someone other than Costner was caste.  Put that aside, I think it's pretty right on.

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 07:37:33 PM »
Well, in the movie, "The Right Stuff" the bartender, "Fred", in the scene at Pancho Barnes' Happy Bottom Riding Club, where he comes out of the gloom when the two actor pilots are discussing Chuck Yeager.  "Fred" knew everything about the actual Club...because the "actor" playing "Fred" was actually Yeager himself!  ;D

I remember that!  I read Yeager's book.  He said that he only ran into German aircraft on two missions...or was it one?  By the time he got there the German's wheren't putting up many fighters.  Given an opportunity I think Yeager would have bagged a bunch of Germans.  That guy was and I guess still is; a pistol!  He's got to be in his 90's.  Yeager's eyesight was a great asset.  I was a fighter/attack pilot during the VN War.  Guys with excellent eyesight had an advantage and even though mine were fine I wasn't as good as some.  Some guys could spot a bogie at 50 miles!  That's eyes of eagles.  I was lucky to catch them at 30.  

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 04:14:36 PM »

Oh ye of little faith,where's my harmonicy~~
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 04:45:53 PM »
One sherrif in a town of thousands
gonna get a little rough,when some start carousin
there will be a toe or two,that get stepped on
when the lawdog hollers"Git Gone"

Just another day in the town of Tombstone
the man wearin the badge,has brothers and they've been honed
things quiet for now,but there is stench of cow~~~~~~
       ~In the air~
Then it all breaks loose,by a  drunked up cayuse,
to late to take flight,they're all gonna die a ridin high in this rodeo hoardin louse, today with thier pals~~~~~~

At the Gunfight behind Fly's Photo Studio and Boarding House near the OK Corral."~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ;D ;D ;D ::)
Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com