Author Topic: WWI Period Lanyard loop 1911 magazines  (Read 30291 times)

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
WWI Period Lanyard loop 1911 magazines
« on: November 28, 2010, 06:43:52 PM »
If you are looking for a period correct WWI 1911 magazine with a lanyard loop, this place sells them:

http://www.shop.tsaknives.com/Colt-45-ACP-Lanyard-Loop-Magazine-45-293L.htm

Warning:  these mags do work and they look good, BUT do not try to slam them home with your hand.  That little lanyard loop can really hurt if you hit it hard enough.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline SGT John Chapman

• Top Active Citizen
  • And from the mists and darkness, He came.........
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: WWI Period Lanyard loop 1911 magazines
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 07:27:11 PM »
Some thing I have never read up on though, is how are they to be used?.....
Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

CAS City Profile For Sgt John Chapman

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 08:03:53 PM »
Some thing I have never read up on though, is how are they to be used?.....

I believe that they snapped a lanyard on the magazine had another on the pistol.  I have no idea if the other 2 magazines had the loops or not.

I got one of those magazines when I bought my WW1 1911 in 1969 or so.  I paid $65.00 for it. It included 3 other magazines.  2 boxes of ammo and a GI holster.  I still have it along with a chrome plated 1911 and a Kimber. ;D

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:56:33 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 08:17:38 PM »
The lanyard was attached to them, so the Cavalry Trooper could drop them free from the weapon.

I've got photos where you can see three lanyards being worn - one for each in the pouch and one on the one in the weapon.

Incidentally - the lanyard for the Model 1909 Colt is different and the clasping device is larger - to accomodate the larger lanyard as found on that weapon.

All original WWI-era M1911 magazines are two-tone finished, by the way - these look to be the types as made in Mexico.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 01:16:29 PM »

I have to admit that I'm new to the 1911 format, always been a wheel gun guy, so bare with me, my thoughts on a Lanyard were that the lanyard was for securing the gun to the body via a cord, like the Canadian Mounties wear there hand guns, why would you want a lanyard on a magazine? what is the purpose of it ? was the cord put through the lanyard on 1911 grip frame  and the magazine too to secure the magazine to the gun? and if this is the case, why is the lanyard fixed in the position it is on the magazine pictured, you would think it would be close to the back of the grip frame as close to the guns lanyard as possible, and how often was this set up used ?, just curious, Like I said I'm new to 1911.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline SGT John Chapman

• Top Active Citizen
  • And from the mists and darkness, He came.........
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 02:00:19 PM »
Yeah,...that was my thought on the whole thing,....I couldn't see a soldier wrapped up in as many lanyards as he had gun and magazines,....just don't make sense,...
Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

CAS City Profile For Sgt John Chapman

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 02:03:56 PM »
As St. George said, they were put there for Cavalry use.  If the troopers were participating in a charge and changed magazines they could just let the empty drop and insert a full one.  If they fumbled the reload they could still retrieve it.

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 06:13:08 PM »
As St. George said, they were put there for Cavalry use.  If the troopers were participating in a charge and changed magazines they could just let the empty drop and insert a full one.  If they fumbled the reload they could still retrieve it.

Will Ketchum

Thanks Will, that makes sense, so basically when the magazine is dropped, it still stays on the person by way of  the lanyard cord, so he can reload at well and not lose his magazine. It pays to ask questions, Thanks

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 06:28:52 PM »
It also pays to read the entire explanation...

The lanyard loop magazine was primarily for Cavalry - 'they' could fight from horseback and could lose things in a hurry.

Infantry didn't issue as many M1911s - Machinegunners, Non-Coms and Officers were issued them since their jobs were different.

At 'that' time - the lanyard was affixed to the lanyard loop on the mainspring housing - in order to retain the piece should it be dislodged from the hand - a frequent occurrence when subjected to shellfire.

By the Great War, the lanyard loop was done away with on new-production magazines, but many originals remained in service, and were a staple of Cavalry life until 1941.

Interestingly enough - there was also a short-lived 'Cavalry' hammer featuring a longer spur with slightly wider 'ears'.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 10:32:09 PM »
It also pays to read the entire explanation...

The lanyard loop magazine was primarily for Cavalry - 'they' could fight from horseback and could lose things in a hurry.

Infantry didn't issue as many M1911s - Machinegunners, Non-Coms and Officers were issued them since their jobs were different.

At 'that' time - the lanyard was affixed to the lanyard loop on the mainspring housing - in order to retain the piece should it be dislodged from the hand - a frequent occurrence when subjected to shellfire.

By the Great War, the lanyard loop was done away with on new-production magazines, but many originals remained in service, and were a staple of Cavalry life until 1941.

Howdy St. George

Like I said earlier, I'm new to 1911, I read your explanation, and didn't totally understand what you were stating, that's why I went on to ask questions, guess I'm slow, sometimes I don't get things the first time around, thanks for clearing this up, I'm sure there are others that might have been wondering also.

Regards

tEN wOLVES

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 06:23:53 AM »
I see two toned magazines with the lanyarn loops on line for sale often. Many of the surplus dealers carry or at least list them. I believe most are under 30 bucks. I buy them with out the loop for 8.00 buying a lot of 6 or NOS surplus military.  I am not riding a horse and shooting these days.
Mathew 5.9

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 08:55:15 AM »
Period-original lanyard loop-equipped magazines go for about $100+ - depending upon overall condition - and are highly sought after by collectors of M1911s.

The ones seen are usually 'Made in Mexico' - sometimes made by Triple K, sometimes not.

There's a world of difference in quality.

I've got a footlocker full of regular-issue magazines - all manufacturer-coded for WWII and part-number-coded for later issue.

The late-issued ones with all the numbers on the floorplate are high quality and most like Colt commercial quality.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 11:31:51 AM »
I've got a footlocker full of regular-issue magazines - all manufacturer-coded for WWII and part-number-coded for later issue.

The late-issued ones with all the numbers on the floorplate are high quality and most like Colt commercial quality.

That's the type I've been getting still in the wrappers...I have bought some Wilson combat for carrying. I don't believe SASS rules allow the paticular type. Extended- pads etc.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Capt'n Jack

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 01:23:59 PM »
I see two toned magazines with the lanyarn loops on line for sale often. Many of the surplus dealers carry or at least list them. I believe most are under 30 bucks. I buy them with out the loop for 8.00 buying a lot of 6 or NOS surplus military.  I am not riding a horse and shooting these days.

Could you PM me those sites for $30 lanyard loop two tone mags?  I agree with St George, that $100 for a LL TT mag is about right and I could use the profit from selling these.
Capt'n Jack was my great great grandfather, a Captain of the Ky Cavalry in the Civil War.  He lived to a ripe old age.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 12:22:05 AM »
I'd also like a list of the places selling original two-tone magazines in the $30 range!   ;D

In the meantime (while I wait with bated breath for that information) it has recently come to my attention that IMA list 1911 magazines with lanyard loops for $16.95 or two for $29.95 .....

http://www.ima-usa.com/u-s-45-acp-7-rnd-magazine-for-colt-m-1911-1911a1-pistols-pair.html

Has anyone purchased any of these and, if so, can they report on quality?
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 06:05:34 AM »
sorry I hadn't looked in here recently, I'll see if I can find and repost a link
Mathew 5.9

Offline Capt'n Jack

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 03:48:12 PM »
Rattlesnake, I have purchased three of the Metalform mags with the lanyard look and they appear to be at least as good as any Metalform mag.  I find them equal to the standard GI mags.  I think that this is the same mag IMA sells as well as others.  I bought them for display so it really does not matter to me.   I think you can make a direct purchase from Metalform but the minimum was too high for me.

If you want two tone just strip the mags of the followers and springs and carefully set them in a glass of plain vinegar to the point you want the blue removed.  Works great but you will not get the look of heat treatment.

Capt'n Jack was my great great grandfather, a Captain of the Ky Cavalry in the Civil War.  He lived to a ripe old age.

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 12:27:10 PM »
I have 2 lanyard ring mags. One from Taska knives and the one that came with my pistol.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 09:12:38 AM »
I ordered a pair of the magazines from IMA yesterday. I have 2 original lanyard mags in an original WW1 pouch and original WW! ammo in the mags. I plan on using the repros for matches and the originals for display. I will look these repros and give an evulation of them on the Wild Bunch thread.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 03:23:51 PM »
Law Dog, how about a review here to.

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com