Author Topic: What single action would you carry for concealed carry?  (Read 15909 times)

Offline Smoke Jensen

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What single action would you carry for concealed carry?
« on: November 16, 2010, 08:49:45 PM »
I am new to this forum and did a quick search, but could locate this subject. Sorry if I have duplicated a previous thread. I was just wondering what kind of single action would you carry for self protection? (concealed carry) I have a Dakota .357 model 1873 by Jager with a 5 and 1/2 inch barrell. I have it as a cross draw, so it's a little big for concealed carry in my opinion, but would like to know what ya'll think.   
Don't let your Butt overload your mouth!...Unknown...,   Courage is being scared to death and still saddling up!...John Wayne...

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
Re: What single action would you carry for concealed carry?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 09:54:43 PM »
My choice is a 1911 Springfield Commander model. It's a .45 ACP. It is a semi-auto but it is also a single action. Cocked and locked.

I choose this over a revolver that you have to thumb back the hammer on for each shot. Quicker chance to return fire if needed.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 10:14:35 PM »
A full-size, pre-Series 70 Colt Government Model...

Hard-hitting - flat - easily reloadable in a helluva hurry.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:03:54 PM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 10:35:45 PM »
I do not carry a single action, but I think that is mostly due to them being harder to conceal, especially in a warm climate.  But I think I would be confident with one if I needed it, since the large majority of my shooting for the last 10 years has been single actions.  I have a Thunderer with 3 1/2" barrel in .44 Spcl that I may carry if I can get a good holster.  I know good behind-the-hip and shoulder holsters are made for single actions but either will require a covering garment.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 04:36:29 AM »
J Frame Smith while it is DA, I tend to shoot it SA.
Like Abilene,  since the large majority of my shooting has been single actions, I, myself prefer a revolver.

I'd have considered the USFA 2" Sheriff Mod. and even the Ruger Montado

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 05:34:06 AM »
I only own single actions handguns.  When i do carry, I carry a Ruger Vaquero with 6 rounds of .357 magnum.  I don't carry it for long periods of time though.  I would suggest picking a S/A with a transfer bar so you can load six rounds safely. 

PhP

Offline Smoke Jensen

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 07:30:39 PM »
I do have a Ruger sr9c that I recently bought but my true love has always been the dependable 6 shooter. I did do a test at my friends house and compared the shooting speed between my "Old Faithful" Dakota .357 with 5 1/2 " barrel and the Ruger sr9c. I did shoot the Dakota faster than the Ruger, but I was doing a quick draw from the hip with the Dakota and a withdrawl from a small of back holster for the Ruger. (that could be the difference between the two.) Also the first two shoots from the 6 shooter were more accurate than the semi auto due to the lack of trigger pull on the single action. I recently read an article in American Rifleman dealing with a concealed carry course that is offered in Nevada or Arizona that deals with single action shooting (cowboy action) and was impressed and wanted to look more into this type of concealed carry. But at $1000.00 for a 3 day course plus airfare and stay, it was little bit out of my budget.   
Don't let your Butt overload your mouth!...Unknown...,   Courage is being scared to death and still saddling up!...John Wayne...

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 09:00:33 PM »
I frequently carry a Colt SAA, 5 1/2", .45. I have never felt under gunned. I practice, CAS, a lot.
If you run up against a squad of Marine Recon or Army Special forces then you will be out gunned. Against street punks you'll be fine. BTW, those Marines or Soldiers will kill you no matter what you're carrying.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 06:44:11 AM »
I use to carry the sr9 the trigger is lacking. I really enjoyed shooting this gun but for concealment it was to bulky. It's gone now. I have a nice shoulder holster made for a Vaquero.  They too are hard to conceal. It is great horseback or for hunting. If I was going to carry a revolver, I would carry a J Frame or the Ruger SP models. Again not that the single action with proper ammo would not get it done. The others are better designed for the purpose. This also the justifies to your better half why you bought another weapon
Mathew 5.9

Offline Smoke Jensen

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 07:29:43 PM »
litl rooster, I bought the Sr9C, the trigger is better than the Sr9 and overall a better gun. The hog leg is just bulky and heavy but still something I want to have on me. Example, if the 5 shots did not do the trick, (1 chamber empty for safety) then you can still use the empty pistol as a club.  ;D I guess I watch too many westerns!

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 06:11:12 AM »
;D I guess I watch too many westerns!

Earps and Hickock did not have 1911's or a Glock available to them
Mathew 5.9

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 07:38:25 AM »

Neither did anyone else.  :D  Just pointing that out.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 07:57:23 AM »
Mathew 5.9

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 05:11:10 PM »

But we do so why not carry a gun that will give you a better advantage?

Earp and Hickok (proper spelling of his name by the way) didn't have access to cars or Jet planes either but sinse I do I choose to use them over riding a horse.
Rick.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 05:33:12 PM »
SAA:
1. durable
2. simple
3. can't loose the mag
3. will feed anything
4. Gangbangers are scared of'm
5. I shoot a SAA all the time I shoot a Glock once a year

Carry whatever you want to, just survive to tell the tale.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 07:22:26 PM »
I frequently carry a Colt SAA, 5 1/2", .45. I have never felt under gunned. I practice, CAS, a lot.
If you run up against a squad of Marine Recon or Army Special forces then you will be out gunned. Against street punks you'll be fine. BTW, those Marines or Soldiers will kill you no matter what you're carrying.

I carried the same thing for almost 35 years before switching to a 1911.  Carried it in the small of my back, butt to the left. (I'm right handed.)  Carried ten extra rounds in two friction clips that I had made, much like a stripper clips for '06 rounds.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Smoke Jensen

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 08:19:07 PM »
Forty Rod, might I ask why you switched to the 1911? Was it due to more ammo or just wanted to change?      Smoke..

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 02:01:13 AM »
SAA:
1. durable
2. simple
3. can't loose the mag
3. will feed anything
4. Gangbangers are scared of'm
5. I shoot a SAA all the time I shoot a Glock once a year

Carry whatever you want to, just survive to tell the tale.

I believe you should carry what you like. But I will choose to carry what I like and what is best suited to the situation. A revolver is a good choice but it can't match a semi-auto for ease of loading. To say a ganbanger is more afraid of a single action than any other gun is silly. Revolvers can and do jam. I've had it happen. It's fun to shoot cowboy but use your head and use modern tools to protect yourself when able.

By the way, Earp lived long enough to have had access to the 1911 and cars. I'm sure he was intellegent enough to see the improvements in guns since the Colt peacmaker came along.
Rick.

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 02:13:19 AM »
Let me just add something else to this. I have had to pull a gun to defend myself on 4 different occations and I had a different gun for each one.

First time I had a Ruger Security six in .357. 6 shot revolver. Big gun and hard to conceal. But it kept me safe.

Second time I had a small ravin .25 semi auto. 6 shot pistol. Stopped 5 guys from attacking me and my girlfriend.

third time I had a 12 guage shotgun. Mosberg 590 with 8 shells in the mag. Best defence.

fourth time I had my 1911 and it served me well. I felt best with this since I had 3 spare mags that I could access and load with much quicker speed than any revolver. I chased off 20 guys with that one. A bunch of "gangbangers" since they fit that description.
I choose to have the biggest caliber available with the gun that makes reloading easy. And with most 1911s you can drop the mag and still shoot the gun with the bullet in the pipe.

I've been there and done that. I choose to arm myself with a modern gun in modern times. Not trying to argue but trying to make a point. Why use a telgraph with morise code when you can use a cell phone?
Rick.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 05:01:42 AM »
But we do so why not carry a gun that will give you a better advantage?

Earp and Hickok (proper spelling of his name by the way) didn't have access to cars or Jet planes either but sinse I do I choose to use them over riding a horse.

again that's is my point.  Don't take a knife to a gunfight
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com