Author Topic: My latest obsession.. Opentops.. POST YOURS!  (Read 5018 times)

Big Hext Finnigan

My latest obsession.. Opentops.. POST YOURS!
« on: May 06, 2004, 11:27:35 AM »
Here they are.. Cimarron 1872 Opentops in 45 Schofield.
They need a bit of stoning here and there, but they are accurate!  I'm talking tiny little groups off hand at 10 yards.  And good looking?  I sure think so..

I'm thinking of having them bored out to 45LC length.  There shouldn't be a problem, in fact, Uberti is going to begin making all their 45 OTs in to LC.. just as the 44s are all 44 special now.

Thanks for looking!  Adios,

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My latest obsession.. Opentops.. POST YOURS!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 12:12:11 PM »
Very nice Big Hext... I haven't been bitten by the "Open Top Bug" yet, but you never know. ;)

Are those 8" bbls.
~~~SASS# 54776~~~ BOLD# 568~~~

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 12:29:34 PM »
My latest interest is a non-CAS shooting game.  Steel Challenge.  I shoot it with my Cowboy pistols.  Stages are available at: http://www.isishootists.com/steelchallenge/2004/stages.htm

Doc

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:04:45 PM »

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 12:29:54 PM »
Nope.. those are 7 1/2.. they look long, don't they.  Adios,

Offline Caucasian Wingnut

• Active citizen
    • The Woodbury Guild
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 12:31:17 PM »
Hi Big Hext

Can you tell me more about the OT's in 44 special. Did you bore out the chambers yourself (after market) or are they offered by Uberti in 44 special.

I really like the look of the Colt C&B's and the OT's and want two in 44 special.

Thanks
CT Swamp Yankee
"You best SMILE when you call me a "Fuzzy Yellow Belly Chicken"

CORR of CT.

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 12:40:13 PM »
Most of the new 44 Ubertis for sale now are in 44 special.  Some of them might be old stock and are in 44 colt.  I good gunsmith can bore them out to 44 special.  They are elegant, naturally pointing guns.

Adios,

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 08:32:21 PM »
Well, if you gotta you gotta, but I'm not sure I'd drill 'em out to the 45 Colt.  True, the 45 Schofield ammo is $$$ .  As I say, "whatever cocks your pistol".  Yep, I'm bitten, smitten, whatever by the OTs but have steadied my wants so far.  I just traded for an 1866 w/24+" octagonal barrel and DOES it ever shoot !! Oh, it's 45 Colt but does handle the Schofield ammo just fine. 
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 07:53:00 AM »
I shot my .38 Special Open Top in an NCOWS match for the first time last weekend. I was VERY pleased with it's accuracy and "pointability"!

I'm shooting Darksider with the Snakebite slug and it works fantastic! (note: If yer wantin ta shoot these with BP and yer gun has one of those little collers in front of the cyliner, take it out!)
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 08:08:15 AM »
Well, if you gotta you gotta, but I'm not sure I'd drill 'em out to the 45 Colt.  True, the 45 Schofield ammo is $$$ .  As I say, "whatever cocks your pistol".  Yep, I'm bitten, smitten, whatever by the OTs but have steadied my wants so far.  I just traded for an 1866 w/24+" octagonal barrel and DOES it ever shoot !! Oh, it's 45 Colt but does handle the Schofield ammo just fine. 

Howdy,
Interesting note on your 66 handling Schofields, the Italian guns seem to be awfully length sensitive.  Must be one of the recent imports, good for you!

And I'm not sold on the bore-out, but it would make my life easier.  I've got thousands of 45LC brass and only a couple hundred Scho's.  I might try out Scho's in all my 45s and see if they shoot, then just use them for pistols, the LC for rifles.  Who knows.. such big things to consider!

Adios,

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 08:13:41 AM »
I shot my .38 Special Open Top in an NCOWS match for the first time last weekend. I was VERY pleased with it's accuracy and "pointability"!

I'm shooting Darksider with the Snakebite slug and it works fantastic! (note: If yer wantin ta shoot these with BP and yer gun has one of those little collers in front of the cyliner, take it out!)

They are amazingly natural pointing guns.. Not great for longer distance or aimed groups.. but point and shoot!  Hooboy!

We'll see about BP.. I'm planning on shooting these guns in the all BP match on July 31st.  It'll be interesting, but at least these are easy to clean.

Adios,

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2004, 04:19:32 AM »
" A man can"t have too many guns".     J R Reed
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2004, 09:13:35 AM »
Open top's are soo sweet. Mine sits in a'sholder holster
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Offline El Deguello

• Very Active Citizen
  • Shoot, don't talk.
    • el dugello bugle call trumpeted  by the Moors  around AD 711 under  Tariq ibn-Ziyad.
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 04:27:47 PM »
 That chicken avatar is a hoot;D ;D 
In respect of God, Country & Flag. 
http://www.freewebs.com/eldeguello/index.htm

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 06:20:29 PM »
They are Great I have the Army frame and do they ever point for me  :)...
I paired mine with my 1860's one with a R&D Cylinder. I think my next one will be a Richard & Mason, however I do like the sight pix better on my 72.
I'm in the same boat, mine is a 45 Sch. and I have a LOT or 45Colt.  But that's fine the R&D uses the 45 colt or 45 Sch. 180 Grain
And I'm finding the 45 Sch. 180 Grain is grouping better in both guns. It also is what my new Spencer is in.
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com